RE wizard (TDM 3.1.5.6)

Hi,

If I choose a Toad for Oracle alias, I then have to go back a few steps in the wizard to select OTPs and settings. This seems rather counter-intuitive.

Regards
Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for raising this issue.

RE Wizard has been changed so as the settings (incl. OTPs) are saved within an alias. This is very comfortable for users who often reverse the same db. They can simply select an alias, click Load and then select tables.
To have the possibility to save the settings was required by many users.

Possibilities for more comfortable work:
Please feel free to load the alias, go back to step What to Reverse. In Expert Mode, create more OTPs. Select one and click Next to step Save Alias. Save the OTP + other settings under a new alias. Again, go back to select another OTP and save it under another alias etc.
So, you will have different OTPs under individual aliases. Then you will select particular alias in the first step, load it and will be switched to step Tables…

Thanks.

Regards,

Vladka

Hi Vladka,

Thanks for replying.
It seems to me that settings are saved in TDM aliases. This is fine and a great improvement.
You don’t seem to be able to save settings to TOAD for Oracle aliases (which wouldn’t really be a sensible thing to do anyway). So if connecting with a TOAD for Oracle alias perhaps the wizard should take you through the settings pages. You can then save this as a TDM alias for future use if you wish.

Regards
Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for your remarks. I see I've forgotten to mention important information - on the Toad for Oracle aliases... Thanks for your patience with me. :slight_smile:

You don't seem to be able to save settings to TOAD for Oracle aliases.
Yes, this is right. TDM3 only allows you to USE Toad for Oracle aliases, it doesn't allow you to save changes to these aliases.

So if connecting with a TOAD for Oracle alias perhaps the wizard should take you through the settings pages.

We think of these groups of users:

1. Users who want to load particularly tables + other basic model items to TDM3 quickly. They simply click Load Toad for Oracle alias and select tables. They do not explore the default settings and options for reverse.
  • We suppose most users will work this way, therefore the RE Wizard behaves accordingly.
  1. Users who like to set their own settings and keep using them. - Solution: They can select particular Toad for Oracle aliase and:
    a] either click Load and then Back to change the settings,
    b] or do not click Load but Next and go through the steps in the wizard. Connection settings will be preset, so they will just check them out and then set up the options in step What to Reverse - save them as default in Expert Mode - and continue. Finally they will save it all under TDM alias that they will keep using.

2. Users who like to define more different settings for RE. - We think not many users will do this (or only minority). Anyway, we offer the same solution as mentioned above. - Going through the steps or load alias. In both cases, you will particularly move among steps What to Reverse and Save alias to set different OTPs and other options, and exactly as you write:

You can then save this as a TDM alias for future use if you wish.

Nevertheless, back to your suggestion, we will further discuss it. CR # 47 203.

Thanks a lot!

Vladka