Reverse Engineer views dependent on tables in another schema

I need to reverse engineer a schema (A) containing views with dependencies on tables in yet another schema (B). Views with dependencies localized to schema A come across just fine, but those with external dependencies are generated as empty. The only way I’ve found to create the attributes is to reverse engineer schema B, manually copy the parent tables into schema A, and then manually generate the attributes. However, I have far too many views to make this a workable solution. Does anyone know of a better way to handle this case? Many thanks.

Hi,

you should be able to reverse engineer tables from multiple schemas at once (depends on database platform). In RE wizard select tables from one schema, then choose another schema from combo box and select tables from the second schema etc. Manual copying of attributes should not be necessary in this case.

Regards,

Vaclav

Well, that’s closer. Thank you, I can see now how to add objects from multiple schemas while reverse engineering. The view in question still has no attributes, however. Is it possible for a view definition to be too complicated to reverse engineer dependencies and attributes?

Hi,

I apologize for the delay. If View cannot be loaded, you should see message in Message Explorer/log. In any case, if there is problem to parse view, it should be loaded as SQL code (in this case you will not see columns in graphical representatives on your workspace).

Make sure you have sufficient permissions to load all information from your db.

I hope it helps.

Vaclav