"Rollback" changes to a data table

Group,

I attempted to merge some data to a very large data table. Unfortunately it didn’t update it as I thought it would. Is it possible to rollback the table to it’s original information before the merge?

I have clicked “Session” and chosen the “Rollback” Icon, but that doesn’t seem to have done anything.

In advance, thanks for the help.

Don

Did you re-execute your select query? It doesn’t automatically update the grid when you do a rollback.

John, Thanks for the response.

I did not try to merge this via a SQL script. I was moving data from an Excel spreadsheet and attempted the “Merge” via the “Import / Import Data Table” option. It failed miserably. I’m thinking now I should have moved the data into an independent table and then attempted the merge.

If there is a way to roll this back, I’m all ears as the original was a large table that took me about 20 hours to input the data. I understand though if there is not a way. This was a learning error on my part.

Thanks again for your help.

Don

There is a setting in import table data which controls the commit interval (never, every N records, once at the end). If you chose anything besides “never”, then a rollback won’t help you. Rollback only rolls back to the last commit or rollback.

Oracle does have a “flashback table” command which may or may not be an option for you, depending on how the database is configured. You can read about that here: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28286/statements_9012.htm

If you’re interested, I’d like to try to help you understand what went wrong with your import/merge operation. If you want to try to work up a small example, I’ll be happy to help you figure out what went wrong. Feel free to email me directly: john.dorlon@quest.com.