Toad World® Forums

Root element is missing


#1

I have automated a script, first step extract data from SQL ( sql server is the source DB) into excel file using “Select to file” activity. Then I have an import which reads from this excel file and loads into Oracle DB using “Import Data wizard” ( oracle is destination DB).

export to Excel works fine but when I start import it gives error/warning “Root element is missing” and import doesn’t work.

when I just runt the data import .tim file it works fine but I noticed one error in the log.

10:54:24 AM Thread (34) Warning: File Call List from M2.xlsx’s encoding ‘System.Text.SBCSCodePageEncoding’ does not match the first file encoding ‘System.Text.UTF8Encoding’. Import may fail.


#2

Interesting. Definately a bug. Can you post the exported excel file and also findout what the encoding is in the export? See first screenshot.

As work around I would use the import that can query another database and do this in one step. To do so:

  1. connect to import destination database.
  2. Choose ‘Add Query’.
  3. Enter SQL and choose the export database connection.
  4. The rest is the same as import.

See second screenshot.

This will bypass the need to export to excel.

Debbie


#3

Interesting. Definately a bug. Can you post the exported excel file and also findout what the encoding is in the export? See first screenshot.

As work around I would use the import that can query another database and do this in one step. To do so:

  1. connect to import destination database.
  2. Choose ‘Add Query’.
  3. Enter SQL and choose the export database connection.
  4. The rest is the same as import.

See second screenshot.

This will bypass the need to export to excel.

Debbie


#4

I also have submitted a case on this type error message. I have a series of Automation tasks that run every 5 minutes that uses the tdr reports to create various html pages. Myself and others such as lab personnel refer to them throughout the day to help us keep up with orders that need to be fixed. I have found that I can manually run Automation tasks to create these pages without issue. However, if I schedule it through the task manager then I get the the root element error. I have been trying to find a work around.I had spent a lot of time designing easy to read tdr reports to present the information and now have to go and recreate the work using the export function and probably have to add in more find and replace features to give the reports the titles and date/time that it was ran. I have tried various things but it keeps coming back that if I use the Windows task scheduler to run the report, I get the error. If I do not use it, I do not get the error.


#5

We and are fixing this issue today. If you can hold on a day or so I can have a one-off TDP 3.5 fix for you.


#6

Here is the fix. Download whichever version you have, Base or Pro.

http://community-downloads.quest.com/toadsoft/tda/ToadDataPoint_Base_3.5.0.2945.zip

http://community-downloads.quest.com/toadsoft/tda/ToadDataPoint_pro_3.5.0.2945.zip