Same Error Message 12.8 still in 12.9

Over the last 6 months i’m in contact with the TOAD Support, because of massive memory problems by using TOAD 12.8. on a VM with Windows XP. I know XP is old, but our complete ORACLE development platform is still installed on XP and i still need to use TOAD on that platform.

Now i have installed 12.9 beta (2 days ago) and i until now i have no memory problems, good news. But i still have the same problems as in Version 12.8 with error Messages like that:

I have already sent that to TOAD Support but they said, i should post the Errors in that beta Forum.

Hope to here from you soon.

Best,

Michael (Germany, Hamburg)

Can you post the support bundle here? Help -> Support Bundle

Hi Gregory,

i’m sorry, but i’m new in this Forum and i have created the Support bündle txt file, but i don’t know how to upload it here. Can you give a hint, please?

Best,

Michael

If using the web site, select rich formatting options and change from Compose to Options. There you can upload the file.

You can also just reply to the e-mail with the attachment if you're using the e-mail to post.

You're screen captures also didn't come through on your first post so you can use the "Insert/Edit Media" button from the Rich Formatting screen.

Greg

On Apr 13, 2016, at 6:01 AM, Michael.Roeder bounce-MichaelRoeder@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: Same Error Message 12.8 still in 12.9

Reply by Michael.Roeder
Hi Gregory,

i'm sorry, but i'm new in this Forum and i have created the Support bündle txt file, but i don't know how to upload it here. Can you give a hint, please?

Best,

Michael

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Great, thank you. File attached…

Regarding the screen captures: i made These captures directly from the Screen and paste it into the web site here. That doesn’t work? - So, do i always have to save the Screen shot locally as a file and then upload the file? - Or does it work, if i reply by email including the Screen shots?
Support_bundle_12_9_20160413.txt (99.5 KB)

Hi Greg,

i tred to reply in the web, but i got a message “…that a moderator need to be there…”. My post is lost.

I try again here by email:

• Support Bundle file is attached

• Regarding the screen captures: do i have to upload files or does it work when i attach the screen shots to an email like this?

Michael Roeder

Director Royalty Services

T +49 40 89085 342

F +49 40 890859 342

M +49 175 2930 342

E michael.roeder@edel.com

Edel Germany GmbH

Neumühlen 17

22763 Hamburg

Germany

www.edel.com

Geschäftsführer: Michael Haentjes - Firmensitz Hamburg

Eingetragen im Handelsregister Hamburg unter HRB 76565

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Date: 13.04.2016 12:14

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Same Error Message 12.8 still in 12.9

Reply by Gregory Liss

If using the web site, select rich formatting options and change from Compose to Options. There you can upload the file.

You can also just reply to the e-mail with the attachment if you’re using the e-mail to post.

You’re screen captures also didn’t come through on your first post so you can use the “Insert/Edit Media” button from the Rich Formatting screen.

Greg

Stop receiving emails
on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

You can add screen caps via email too.

One thing that jumps out is that your Toad has been running for 29 hours. On older Operating systems, you should really not leave apps running full time like that. Even a small memory leak is magnified when it never has a chance to clean up..

On Apr 13, 2016, at 6:27 AM, Michael.Roeder bounce-MichaelRoeder@toadworld.com wrote:

Reply by Michael.Roeder
Hi Greg,

i tred to reply in the web, but i got a message "...that a moderator need to be there...". My post is lost.

I try again here by email:

• Support Bundle file is attached

• Regarding the screen captures: do i have to upload files or does it work when i attach the screen shots to an email like this?

--

Michael Roeder

T +49 40 89085 342

F +49 40 890859 342

M +49 175 2930 342

Edel Germany GmbH

Neumühlen 17

22763 Hamburg

Germany

[www.edel.com

](http:)

Attachments:

Support_bundle_12_9_20160413.txt

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

<Support_bundle_12_9_20160413.txt>

Ok, thank you.

Does that mean, it should be a better practise to shut down TOAD every evening? - Or is it necessary to shut down the VM every evening to run TOAD correctly?

Michael Roeder

T +49 40 89085 342

F +49 40 890859 342

M +49 175 2930 342

Edel Germany GmbH

Neumühlen 17

22763 Hamburg

Germany

www.edel.com

Date: 13.04.2016 12:33

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Same Error Message 12.8 still in 12.9

Reply by Gregory Liss

You can add screen caps via email too.

One thing that jumps out is that your Toad has been running for 29 hours. On older Operating systems, you should really not leave apps running full time like that. Even a small memory leak is magnified when it never has a chance to clean up…

Stop receiving emails
on this subject.

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Best practice for Toad (and any Windows 32 bit app) is to shut it down at least once a day. These desktop apps are simply not designed to be running 24/7. WinXP also had issues cleaning up after itself so even in a VM, you should restart it periodically as well. If you google for Windows XP memory leak, there are a lot of hits. Remember you're talking about a 15 year old operating system so the old tech support saying "did you restart your computer?" still applies to your situation.

Greg

On Apr 13, 2016, at 6:36 AM, Michael.Roeder bounce-MichaelRoeder@toadworld.com wrote:

Reply by Michael.Roeder
Ok, thank you.

Does that mean, it should be a better practise to shut down TOAD every evening? - Or is it necessary to shut down the VM every evening to run TOAD correctly?

--

Michael Roeder

T +49 40 89085 342

F +49 40 890859 342

M +49 175 2930 342

Edel Germany GmbH

Neumühlen 17

22763 Hamburg

Germany

[www.edel.com

](http:/)

Ok, understand, thank you.

From my point of view, until TOAD Version e.g. 11.6 i never have such problems with memory or Error messages. And i always use the same windows version. So, i will follow you with shutting everything down as often as i can. But TOAD still supports XP and i can not really understand why version 11.6 runs much better than 12.8 / 12.9.

Michael Roeder

T +49 40 89085 342

F +49 40 890859 342

M +49 175 2930 342

Edel Germany GmbH

Neumühlen 17

22763 Hamburg

Germany

www.edel.com

Date: 13.04.2016 12:50

Reply by Gregory Liss

Best practice for Toad (and any Windows 32 bit app) is to shut it down at least once a day. These desktop apps are simply not designed to be running 24/7. WinXP also had issues cleaning up after itself so even in a VM, you should restart it periodically as well. If you google for Windows XP memory leak, there are a lot of hits. Remember you’re talking about a 15 year old operating system so the old tech support saying “did you restart your computer?” still applies to your situation.

Greg

Stop receiving emails
on this subject.

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

The key editor component was replaced a few versions ago and there was a memory leak introduced in v12.8. We're still working on a complete fix for it but the longer Toad stays open, the more likely the leak is to manifest itself and it will manifest itself faster on an older operating system. One other thought is that since Microsoft no longer supports XP, you should really consider upgrading at least to Windows 7. We still support it because we have quite a number of users still using it and we don't want to throw you under the bus but Microsoft already has.

Greg

On Apr 13, 2016, at 7:05 AM, Michael.Roeder bounce-MichaelRoeder@toadworld.com wrote:

Reply by Michael.Roeder
Ok, understand, thank you.

From my point of view, until TOAD Version e.g. 11.6 i never have such problems with memory or Error messages. And i always use the same windows version. So, i will follow you with shutting everything down as often as i can. But TOAD still supports XP and i can not really understand why version 11.6 runs much better than 12.8 / 12.9.

--

Michael Roeder

T +49 40 89085 342

F +49 40 890859 342

M +49 175 2930 342

Edel Germany GmbH

Neumühlen 17

22763 Hamburg

Germany

[www.edel.com

Thx Gregory for sharing this info.

Really appreciated a lot.

Yes, you’re right about XP and upgrade to WIN 7. Of course this is our problem that we’re “a little” late upgrading our complete oracle development paltform to an newer release.

But as is said before, i know about that problem, but i haven’t problems with TOAD until version 11.6 or so and in gerneral newer version shouldn’t have more problems as older versions.

Michael Roeder

T +49 40 89085 342

F +49 40 890859 342

M +49 175 2930 342

Edel Germany GmbH

Neumühlen 17

22763 Hamburg

Germany

www.edel.com

Date: 13.04.2016 13:13

Reply by Gregory Liss

The key editor component was replaced a few versions ago and there was a memory leak introduced in v12.8. We’re still working on a complete fix for it but the longer Toad stays open, the more likely the leak is to manifest itself and it will manifest itself faster on an older operating system. One other thought is that since Microsoft no longer supports XP, you should really consider upgrading at least to Windows 7. We still support it because we have quite a number of users still using it and we don’t want to throw you under the bus but Microsoft already has.

Greg

Stop receiving emails
on this subject.

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Agreed. We didn't find out about the memory leak in 12.8 until well into the start of the 12.9 development cycle and when 12.9 is released in June, we will have the issue fully resolved. Unfortunately, the only workaround for 12.8 is to restart Toad periodically.

Greg

On Apr 13, 2016, at 9:57 AM, Michael.Roeder bounce-MichaelRoeder@toadworld.com wrote:

Reply by Michael.Roeder
Yes, you're right about XP and upgrade to WIN 7. Of course this is our problem that we're "a little" late upgrading our complete oracle development paltform to an newer release.

But as is said before, i know about that problem, but i haven't problems with TOAD until version 11.6 or so and in gerneral newer version shouldn't have more problems as older versions.

--

Michael Roeder

T +49 40 89085 342

F +49 40 890859 342

M +49 175 2930 342

Edel Germany GmbH

Neumühlen 17

22763 Hamburg

Germany

[www.edel.com

Ok, thank you. I will try working with 12.9 beta for the next days/weeks. I’ll let you know, what i will find out.

Michael Roeder

T +49 40 89085 342

F +49 40 890859 342

M +49 175 2930 342

Edel Germany GmbH

Neumühlen 17

22763 Hamburg

Germany

www.edel.com

Date: 13.04.2016 16:18

Reply by Gregory Liss

Agreed. We didn’t find out about the memory leak in 12.8 until well into the start of the 12.9 development cycle and when 12.9 is released in June, we will have the issue fully resolved. Unfortunately, the only workaround for 12.8 is to restart Toad periodically.

Greg

Stop receiving emails
on this subject.

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

What Greg said. 12.8 introduced a memory leak that was not present in 12.7 or earlier. It is pretty severe and a few hours of running Toad could wreak havoc. 12.9 beta should have it nailed so if you are able to use it please do so and let us know what comes of it.

Thanks,

Michael