Saving a .dml file as .sql

My department has a really old version of Toad for Oracle, and they run reports created out of the Query Builder that have a .dml file extension. In newer versions of Toad for Oracle, you can open the .dml file but you cannot make changes to it, because it doesn’t let you save as .dml or as .sql. I need a way to convert all these .dml queries over to .sql, without having to copy/paste the SQL code into a new query. Is there a way to do this?

Hi Jennifer,

I don’t believe there’s a way to automatically convert old DML files directly to SQL files within Toad, sorry. If you want to be able to edit those files going forward, your best bet may be to upgrade everyone to the newer version of Toad, open those files individually, and then save them to the new QBX format. Alternatively, you can do as you initially suggested and copy/paste the SQL into a new query and save them as SQL scripts going forward.

I would personally recommend the latter solution because you can then store those SQL files in a version control system and maintain change history for those report scripts. The DML and QBX formats don’t lend themselves to easily seeing changes to your query over time. If you don’t already have a version control system in-house, you can easily set up and use one of the many freely available ones that Toad supports (like Subversion, Mercurial, or Git).

-John

From: jennifer.mccolley_000 [mailto:bounce-jennifermccolley2013@toadworld.com]

Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2016 11:47 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Saving a .dml file as .sql

Saving a .dml file as .sql

Thread created by jennifer.mccolley_000

My department has a really old version of Toad for Oracle, and they run reports created out of the Query Builder that have a .dml file extension. In newer versions of Toad for Oracle, you can open the .dml file but you cannot make changes to it, because it doesn’t let you save as .dml or as .sql. I need a way to convert all these .dml queries over to .sql, without having to copy/paste the SQL code into a new query. Is there a way to do this?

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle Forum
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Thank you for your response. I was afraid of that.