Screenshots of new Editor?

I am not a commercial user yet. We are still evaluating Toad and trying to make justification for it, and if we like it. I had a 12.6 trial license key.

The editor is actually one of my least favorite things about Toad. I am used to PL/SQL Developer from Allaround Automations and it is just a lot simpler/quicker/easier to use. I would love to see what the new editor looks like and can do, this could help my decisions.

Thanks,

Jeff

In appearance the layout, context menus, toolbars, etc. are all the same. The only thing that has changed is the edit component (where you type text). Visually
it’s cleaner than before. Customizing syntax highlighting is easier to do than before, it’s faster especially with large text than before, and offers some new features like column mode editing (make vertical, zero width selection and type and your text appears
on all lines in the selection). Here’s a screenshot.

Specifically what features do you prefer in other editors and for what reasons?

Michael

Sent: Friday, January 09, 2015 3:21 PM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Screenshots of new Editor?

Screenshots of new Editor?

Thread created by Jeff81

I am not a commercial user yet. We are still evaluating Toad and trying to make justification for it, and if we like it. I had a 12.6 trial license key.

The editor is actually one of my least favorite things about Toad. I am used to PL/SQL Developer from Allaround Automations and it is just a lot simpler/quicker/easier to use. I would love to
see what the new editor looks like and can do, this could help my decisions.

Thanks,

Jeff

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Not all of this is based on the Editor.

• One thing I do often is open a package file in PL/SQL Dev and then you can right click and compare that file to Current Database, Other File, or Other Database
  • Change a single editor tab to connect to a different database. Currently it changes all the tabs for that editor to the new database.
  • Sorting results in grid from F9 re-executes the query. You have to use F5 and then change to the Grid1 tab so it doesn’t re-execute. But you need to remember to do that before you execute that 30 minute query.
  • Executing a procedure/function
    • If a function, it doesn’t show you the result by default unless you go to the Output Options and specify that you want to do that. Why would that not be on by default.
  • Executing/Debug window seems odd to me. I don’t PL/SQL Dev just seems easier to use for me.
  • I personally like coding with a dark background and light text. I was able to make this work in Toad with a lot of customization but it doesn’t work 100% across all windows within Toad.
  • You can’t just copy a column of data. If you click a column it wants to sort and there is no right click and copy. If I want to copy all records from my query result I have to drag and select and then ctrl-c. In PL/SQL Dev you can just click the upper left square similar to Excel.
  • When writing pl/sql there doesn’t seem to be intelisense for variables or with %rowtype.
  • Session Browser - You can’t add custom queries based on a selected session. I have added some custom ASH queries based on the selected session from with PL/SQL Developer’s session window.
  • The charts and graphs used in some of tools are extremely old looking. Make the program feel cheap and outdated.
    Ok that is it for now.

Oh and this too:

Visually indicate an active transaction commit/rollback. Only enable the commit/rollback buttons when a transaction is active.

• One thing I do often is open a package file in PL/SQL Dev and then you can right click and compare that file to Current Database, Other File, or Other Database

• Change a single editor tab to connect to a different database. Currently it changes all the tabs for that editor to the new database.

• Sorting results in grid from F9 re-executes the query. You have to use F5 and then change to the Grid1 tab so it doesn’t re-execute. But you need to remember to do that before you execute that 30 minute query.

○ If a function, it doesn’t show you the result by default unless you go to the Output Options and specify that you want to do that. Why would that not be on by default.

• Executing/Debug window seems odd to me. I don’t PL/SQL Dev just seems easier to use for me.

• I personally like coding with a dark background and light text. I was able to make this work in Toad with a lot of customization but it doesn’t work 100% across all windows within Toad.

• You can’t just copy a column of data. If you click a column it wants to sort and there is no right click and copy. If I want to copy all records from my query result I have to drag and select and then ctrl-c. In PL/SQL Dev you can just click the upper left square similar to Excel.

• When writing pl/sql there doesn’t seem to be intelisense for variables or with %rowtype.

• Session Browser - You can’t add custom queries based on a selected session. I have added some custom ASH queries based on the selected session from with PL/SQL Developer’s session window.

• The charts and graphs used in some of tools are extremely old looking. Make the program feel cheap and outdated.

Ok that is it for now.

For some reason my post with the list is being needed approval from the forum administrator.

They seem to be coming in just fine.

On Jan 9, 2015, at 6:21 PM, Jeff81 bounce-jchirco@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: Screenshots of new Editor?

Reply by Jeff81
For some reason my post with the list is being needed approval from the forum administrator.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

I had a list of 10 bullets points but I don’t see them on this thread.

Me neither. I'd try again, but remove any special formatting if it was used before. Just use plain text. If that doesn't work feel free to send it directly to me at michael.staszewskiquest.com and I'll post them.

On Jan 9, 2015, at 8:16 PM, Jeff81 bounce-jchirco@toadworld.com wrote:

Reply by Jeff81
I had a list of 10 bullets points but I don't see them on this thread.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta notifications altogether.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Looks like the post got approve. Look up.

Thanks.

...right click and compare that file to Current Database, Other File, or Other Database

That's a good idea.

Change a single editor tab to connect to a different database.

Toad has always had a one to one association between a window and a connection with few exceptions like the Session Browser. You can open an Editor for each connection.

Sorting results in grid from F9 re-executes the query.

Right-click on the grid and make sure that "Memory sorting" is checked. It's unchecked by default and has been this way for as long as I can remember for good reason. Toad fetches records in blocks to increase performance and use less memory. When you reach
the last row in the grid the next block of N rows is fetched. Since all records may not be fetched the query is re-executed so that blocks 1-N are sorted properly when they are fetched. Also, not all programming languages sort strings the same way. Oracle
sorts differently than Delphi (language Toad is written in) and letting Oracle perform the sort ensures that it is done properly.

it doesn't show you the result by default unless you go to the Output Options and specify that you want to do that. Why would that not be on by default.

On by default seems like a good idea. I'm not sure why it's been this way for so long.

Executing/Debug window seems odd to me. I don't PL/SQL Dev just seems easier to use for me.

I couldn't find out how to execute in PL/SQL Developer during a quick Google search. The closest thing I found was the "Test Window" or "Test Script" whatever it's called. Is that how it's done? It appears that you just wrap your execute in an anonymous block
there and set parameters at the bottom. If that's the only way to execute in PL/SQL Developer and you prefer that method then just write your execute block in the Editor and execute using F9. Toad will prompt you for the bind variable values and return results
of OUT variables.

I personally like coding with a dark background and light text. I was able to make this work in Toad with a lot of customization but it doesn't work 100% across all windows within Toad.

Not all windows in Toad use the same GUI control and your editor styling applies only to that control used by the Editor and elsewhere in Toad. In past releases there was some inconsistency in applying the styles. In the current 12.7 beta your font and styling
options are uniformly applied to all instances of this edit control which is used in all places where SQL or PL/SQL is displayed among others. There are still a lot of controls like list boxes, treeviews, simple memos, etc. where the background and text color
are set to the system default.

In PL/SQL Dev you can just click the upper left square similar to Excel.

Our grid components can do a lot, but this doesn't appear to be something it supports. It would be an easy addition to surface a "Select column" feature off of the grid's context menu. In the meantime using standard clipboard shortcuts will select the column
in a snap.

When writing pl/sql there doesn't seem to be intelisense for variables or with %rowtype.

This is true. We're looking at modifying intellisense somewhat to be more intuitive and useful. A couple of other Dell products have enhanced intellisense that we're evaluating. I'll likely not address this until we move on to the new.

Session Browser - You can't add custom queries based on a selected session. I have added some custom ASH queries based on the selected session from with PL/SQL Developer's session window

No comment. It's not my area of the product and I'm not familiar with it.

The charts and graphs used in some of tools are extremely old looking. Make the program feel cheap and outdated.

There are probably newer controls we could use, but the ones we have function and show the data.

Thanks,

Michael

On 01/09/2015 09:16 PM, Jeff81 wrote:

Reply by Jeff81

• Sorting results in grid from F9 re-executes the query. You have to use F5 and then change to the Grid1 tab so it doesn't re-execute. But you need to remember to do that before you execute that 30 minute query.

○ If a function, it doesn't show you the result by default unless you go to the Output Options and specify that you want to do that. Why would that not be on by default.

• Executing/Debug window seems odd to me. I don't PL/SQL Dev just seems easier to use for me.

• I personally like coding with a dark background and light text. I was able to make this work in Toad with a lot of customization but it doesn't work 100% across all windows within Toad.

• You can't just copy a column of data. If you click a column it wants to sort and there is no right click and copy. If I want to copy all records from my query result I have to drag and select and then ctrl-c. In PL/SQL Dev you can just click the upper
left square similar to Excel.

• When writing pl/sql there doesn't seem to be intelisense for variables or with %rowtype.

• Session Browser - You can't add custom queries based on a selected session. I have added some custom ASH queries based on the selected session from with PL/SQL Developer's session window.

Ok that is it for now.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Toad doesn't do this although there's a useful option to prompt for commit/rollback when a connection closes. It should be set by default. When your connection ends you are prompted only if there are outstanding transactions or if Toad can't determine this
because you lack privilege on dbms_transaction.

Michael

On 01/09/2015 06:19 PM, Jeff81 wrote:

Reply by Jeff81
Oh and this too:

Visually indicate an active transaction commit/rollback. Only enable the commit/rollback buttons when a transaction is active.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.