SQLNav crushes

hi jchan,

what kind of info do you need regarding this DB?

[oracle@dev ~]$ uname -a
Linux dev 2.6.9-55.0.12.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Oct 17 08:15:59 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[oracle@dev ~]$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Wed Sep 22 10:18:13 2010

Copyright © 1982, 2007, Oracle. All Rights Reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

SQL> select * from v$version;

BANNER

Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.4.0 - 64bi
PL/SQL Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production
CORE 10.2.0.4.0 Production
TNS for Linux: Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production
NLSRTL Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production

hi yahiam,

the program runs OK in win7, it is the connection to a couple of databases that causes SQLNav to abort without any error. I’ve about 200 tns entries. I wasn’t able to test all of them, but I am able to connect to most of the databases except for the three (the most demanding, hehe).

NOTE: those three DBs that I am not able to connect to reside on different servers. They all are 64 bit 10.2.0.4 on RHEL4

hi all,

i took a look into listener.log file to see if the connection is being established at all and it seems that it is being able to connect to the database (to eliminate the possibility of some sort of log-on triggers or whatever (i am a DBA here so I know for sure there is no triggers in the DB that would prevent some programs from connecting to the database)).

22-SEP-2010 11:09:53 * (CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME=qa)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\Program?Files\Quest?Software\SQL?Navigator?for?Oracle\sqlnavigator.exe)(HOST=MGURENICH-L)(USER=mgurenich))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=...***)(PORT=54918)) * establish * qa * 0

Message was edited by: mgurenich_265

Hi,

Can you please let us know if you have Team Coding (version control integration) setup on those DBs that you have issue with, if yes - what is the Version control provider?

We have similar issue where SQL Navigator disappeared after connection when using StarTeam as version control: http://sqlnavigator.inside.quest.com/thread.jspa?threadID=28955&tstart=0

Roman is also working on the Debugger version for you soon, hope that we can identify where/which rountine in SQL Navigotor cause the crash.

Thanks,
Bruce

I got an environment pretty much same as yours but I couldn’t reproduce your problem. I believe something to do with your environment.

Windows 7 32bits
SQL Navigator for Oracle 6.2
Oracle 10.2.0 full client
Oracle 10.2.0.5 64 bits DB on Linux

Hi,

When connecting, could you enable trace by clicking Options button and then Enable Trace checkbox (see the attached image). After Nav terminates, look for file navlog0001.log in \Documents and Settings<username>\ApplicationData\Quest Software\SQL Navigator 6.2.1 (or whatever your version is), please send this file to us. This might help us identify the problem.

Thank you,
Roman
connect_options.jpeg

hi Roman,

please, see attach.

thanks,
M
navlog0000.log (158 KB)

hi bruceduong ,

thank you so much for not giving up :slight_smile:
so, we do have a PVCS (7.5 i believe, but might be wrong) for the version control in DEV environment, but we SHOULD NOT have it in QA as for you can imagine, there should be no version changes in QA… and QA is amongst those problematic DBs… I am not too positive that we don’t have it there though… Can you please suggest how to check it? I know we have it in DEV because I was told so by my boss. Is there any way to check it myself?

thank you for all your help and willing to resolve it.
Masha

Hi Masha,

Have you tried to connect to these DBs with Team Coding disabled?

Regards,
Roman
team_coding_settings.jpeg

Just in case you don’t know where to find these settings, from menu Team Conding -> Connection Settings

Can you also try to execute the following SQL in SQLPlus on problem DB? This is the last SQL that SQL Navigator get execute according to your log file.

SELECT um_timestamp FROM SQLNAV.SQLNAV4_TIMESTAMP

Hi Masha,

You are very welcome indeed :-). We will try our best to assist you with this issue.

To findout if you have team coding on those DB. On PCs that you could log in to those DBs:

• connect to the DB
  • Go to Main menu Team Coding->Status. You should get the window as attached TeamCoding.jpg
  • Click Messages button will show get all Team Coding log.
  • Go to Team Coding->Connection Settings. Please send us the screen shot of what you have.

If you have Team Coding enabled, please try to connect to DB without Team Coding enabled as per Roman’s note.
Please let us know how you go :-).

Thanks and regards,
Bruce

Message was edited by: bruceduong
teamcoding1.jpeg

Hi Masha,

You are very welcome indeed :-). We will try our best to assist you with this issue.

To findout if you have team coding on those DB. On PCs that you could log in to those DBs:

• connect to the DB
  • Go to Main menu Team Coding->Status. You should get the window as attached TeamCoding.jpg
  • Go to Team Coding->Connection Settings. Please send us the screen shot of what you have.

If you have Team Coding enabled, please try to connect to DB without Team Coding enabled as per Roman’s note.

Thanks and regards,
Bruce

teamcoding.jpeg

Hi Masha,

• connect to the DB

Thanks and regards,
Bruce

teamcoding2.jpeg

hi jchan.

this is the query and the user that I am trying to connect to DEV10G database with via SQLNav:

db_manager@dev10g> SELECT um_timestamp FROM SQLNAV.SQLNAV4_TIMESTAMP
2 ;
UM_TIMEST

14-MAY-10

1 row selected.

db_manager@dev10g>

hi Roman and bruceduong,

so i checked myself and yes, we do have PVCS both in DEV and QA too (O.o)… As you can imagine, there is no way for me to just disable this thing - those are 24/7/365 database that being accessed from US and India round clock and disabling PVCS would require downtime of the database, but an issue even not with the downtime: we’ve got about 70-100 developers at time working in the database. nobody in their mind would allow me to just disable PVCS in order to use SQLNaV :smiley:

I will open an internal ticket, of course, to just try to see if disabling PVCS will make any difference, but again, even if it works, it won’t resolve my issue :frowning:

are there any packages or grants or whatever that i can grant to the user that am connecting with to bypass/or avoid version checking…

thanks a lot,
Masha

Hi Masha,

We don’t suggest that you permanently disable Team Coding, we just want to confirm that the problem is caused by it. To do that, I’d like to ask you to go to Team Coding\Connection Settings in the main menu and in the Team Coding Settings dialog uncheck the Enable Team Coding checkbox (as shown in the attachment to my previous post), then restart Nav and try to connect to any of the databases that have this problem. Let us know whether the connection was successful after that.

Thank you,
Roman

Hi Masha,

I am checking more on the PVCS integration. I will get back to you with another note later today.

Thanks,
Bruce

Hi Masha,

We have checked and tested it again with PVCS 7.5 and we still could not reproduce the issue as you reported. I am not sure if the Team coding is the underlined issues here yet…

There is no option to turn off the Team Coding in the application. We would NOT wish to ask you to disable Team coding in your team environment. I would like to ask for your help to try the new binary so that we can be 100% sure about the Team Coding in your environment. I have uploaded the file to -

http://sqlnavigator.inside.quest.com/shares/sqlnavigator/sbin/temp/Masha/SQLNav_NoTeamCoding.zip

(download size about 8MB).

The zip file contains SQLNav_NoTeamCoding.exe which is the dev compiled based on the v6.4 code branch. I have disabled the routines to set up sessions for team coding.
Much appreciated if you could copy the .exe to your 6.2 or 6.2.1 installation folder then run the SQLNav_NoTeamCoding.exe and see if you could establish connection to the DB which you are having issues with.

This exe (as we have the version as 4.0a1) will create the folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Yourusername\Application Data\Quest Software\SQL Navigator 4.0a1

and

registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Quest Software\SQL Navigator 4.0a1

After you try this .exe file. You can remove those 2 folders and SQLNav_NoTeamCoding.exe at your convinience.

Many thanks in advance for your help Masha. Once we get back your feedback, we will work with you more to address the issue and get it in the official release.

Regards,
Bruce