Step by Step Instructions to update a model without overriding it?

I am updating all of the comments for Attributes in Entities for a key product of ours. I am not the programmer or “owner” of the code. Periodically I receive patch updates which obsolete the version I’m working on. I’d like to merge in the changes without losing all the work I’ve done on the comments.

How do I go about this? I’m converting the file from CS2 (dmx) which is what I receive from the coders. I assume I convert it first, then compare it, then synchronize it – is this correct? How can I guarantee that only code changes are modified and not my revisions? Thanks.

You can use the Merge Models feature in Sync and Convert wizard to merge your source models from the developers with comments into your current model. When you go through the feature, there is a Detailed Settings button on the Select Object Types page where you can choose to only compare Entities->Comments.

But if I compare the comments don’t I risk overwriting them? I really want to compare code changes and only revise code. This product is nearing the end of its lifecycle and is in patch mode (no huge new features probably). I suppose I can save the models with different names and “play” with them to ensure I don’t destroy my work – but if there are step by step instructions I’d love a link to them! Thanks.

From: Kevin Stern [mailto:bounce-KevinStern@toadworld.com]

Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 10:47 AM
To: tdm@toadworld.com
Subject: RE: [Toad Data Modeler - Discussion Forum] Step by Step Instructions to update a model without overriding it?

RE: Step by Step Instructions to update a model without overriding it?

Reply by Kevin Stern

You can use the Merge Models feature in Sync and Convert wizard to merge your source models from the developers with comments into your current model. When you go through the feature, there is a Detailed Settings button on the Select Object Types page where you can choose to only compare Entities->Comments.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad Data Modeler - General notifications altogether.
Toad Data Modeler - Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Here is a link to a video showing the Merge Model functions. You should be able to use this to merge in the code changes with your existing model. Let me know if you need more information. It is a good idea to make backup copies of the model files before merging them just in case.

www.toadworld.com/…/201.aspx

Thanks Kevin!

Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:00 AM
Subject: RE: [Toad Data Modeler - Discussion Forum] Step by Step Instructions to update a model without overriding it?

Reply by Kevin Stern

Here is a link to a video showing the Merge Model functions. You should be able to use this to merge in the code changes with your existing model. Let me know if you need more information. It is a good idea to make backup copies of the model files before merging them just in case.

www.toadworld.com/…/201.aspx

The instructions you sent showed me how to add new entities – but how do I modify fields within an entity without overwriting everything? When I look at the comparison it appears I can write at the entity level – but not the description / comment within a given attribute.

On the Select Object Types you can select only the attribute comments by doing this. What I am doing here is merging the attribute comments from a source model to a destination model and you may have different objects depending upon what the developers are doing. Conversely, if I didn't want the comments from the source model I would uncheck the box and the comments would not be brought over.

I’ll try that, thank you.

Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:48 PM

Reply by Kevin Stern

On the Select Object Types you can select only the attribute comments by doing this. What I am doing here is merging the attribute comments from a source model to a destination model and you may have different objects depending upon what the developers are doing. Conversely, if I didn’t want the comments from the source model I would uncheck the box and the comments would not be brought over.

I think I “have it” now – it is under “detailed settings” (far right of the window) in the Select Object Types window. So I “un check” that box and the merge function won’t change the comments when I merge, correct?

Thanks

Reply by Kevin Stern

On the Select Object Types you can select only the attribute comments by doing this. What I am doing here is merging the attribute comments from a source model to a destination model and you may have different objects depending upon what the developers are doing. Conversely, if I didn’t want the comments from the source model I would uncheck the box and the comments would not be brought over.

I’m sorry to bother you – but I must still be doing something wrong. I’ve chosen the newest version as my destination model (model 2) and the older version with comments as my source. I am only opting to add the comments from the source and leave everything else in the destination model “as is.” In other words, under the detail settings the only item checked is comments (as to be merged into model 2). Yet when I save the new model the comments are not there.

So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Reply by Kevin Stern

Please ignore my last email – I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was checking comments under the entity – when what I wanted were the comments in the attributes under the entity. In other words I had to go down one more layer than I was. When I did that the merge was successful.

Thanks for your help and your patience.

Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:26 AM

Reply by eisens

I’m sorry to bother you – but I must still be doing something wrong. I’ve chosen the newest version as my destination model (model 2) and the older version with comments as my source. I am only opting to add the comments from the source and leave everything else in the destination model “as is.” In other words, under the detail settings the only item checked is comments (as to be merged into model 2). Yet when I save the new model the comments are not there.

So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Reply by Kevin Stern

Glad to hear that you got it working. Please let me know if you have any other questions.