Morning all,

isn’t it funny how we all have our likes and dislikes for something as
“simple” as a schema browser?

I was a tree fan for many years. Scroll forever? Not me, I just type the
initial letters!

Then I had a problem, can’t remember what it was without looking it up
and it far too early, that only affected tree view. So I tried the drop
down. I’ve stuck with it for some time now - much more than the 30 days
I promised to trial it for anyway. It works, but I’m still a tree fan.

A colleague here uses a 15" LCD monitor and has his SB arranged with
multi-line tabs. All tabs are enabled as well, so on his screen, I see
about 70% of the screen is tabs and the remainder is the actual data. He
loves it, I hate it!

When I used Delphi, and this option is available in Toad, the single
line of tabs drove me nuts. The tab I wanted was always so far away it
was in the next room! I can’t remember what add on I eventually used but
it gave me multi line tabs which had the advantage of showing all tabs
on screen at the same time, but reduced my workspace. I will never
ever
use single line tabs in Toad - I’m a DBA and I have the DBA
module. My databases are well stocked in “objects” so I need all the
tabs visible. Multi-line tabs allow this but reduce actual data space,
single line tabs increase data space but reduce usability.

Tree view, yes you do scroll but it’s still the best, the drop down is
probably the best mix/compromise between data space and usability.

Anyway, having said/typed all that, lets do something constructive for a
change!

What would be the most efficient way to display the SB window? My
suggestion is thought control. No tabs, no drop down, no tree, just the
object(s) you want sitting by itself/themselves in a large but mainly
empty window!

Not sure if there is such a component in the latest Delphi but you never
know!

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else. We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes. If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

[Attachment(s) from Rich Jesse included below]

Norm!

I'm an MLT (Multi Line Tab) guy meself. With category aliases, every schema
object type is on the screen at once. See attached image (my silly emailer
doesn't make it easy to inline them).

Single Line Tab? Too much scrollin', scrollin', scrollin'...

Tree View? I find it repetitive, needing to select "Tables" for each schema
for example. It looks cluttered and feels much less organized to me than
other options.

Dropdown? Hmmm. I like that I can select the dropdown, then use the
mousewheel to change it. I think I could get used to this one. Maybe...

With 3000+ tables and 4000+ indexes per schema -- each one beginning with
the letter "F" (I'll let your mind wander as to what that may stand for) --
scrolling is a necessity for me. But having multiple schemas open in the
tree view is not an option for usability's sake. There's just something
about the tree view that I really dislike, but I can't quite put my finger
on it. Maybe if I were used to crappy "free" Java tools. I'm just sayin'.

My $.02,
Rich -- [TeamT]

Disclaimer: "I'm just sayin'" absolves the issuer from all responsibility.

Morning all,

isn't it funny how we all have our likes and dislikes for something as
"simple" as a schema browser?

I was a tree fan for many years. Scroll forever? Not me, I just type the
initial letters!

Attachment(s) from Rich Jesse:

1 of 1 Photo(s) Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos
SBMLTab.gif

Rich,

I'm an MLT (Multi Line Tab) guy meself. With category aliases, every
schema
object type is on the screen at once. See attached image (my silly
emailer
doesn't make it easy to inline them).

Just how wide is your screen then? Your MLT looks neat with only three
lines of tabs. I'm using a 17" screen and MLT simply doesn't work.
Besides, I like to have lots of space for editing, grid results and in
the SB, visible data!

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else. We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes. If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Norm!

Just how wide is your screen then? Your MLT looks neat with only three
lines of tabs. I'm using a 17" screen and MLT simply doesn't work.
Besides, I like to have lots of space for editing, grid results and in
the SB, visible data!

I'm all about real estate. My main (Toad) monitor is a 20" 1600x1200 -- I'm
gently refusing to go to a widescreen with only 1080 lines unless I can get
upgraded to something like the 1920x1200 23" Samsung I have at home. This
"old" 4x3 LCD is getting expensive by today's standards...

I also have my 1440x900 laptop screen as a secondary for email, help desk
tracking, IM and other "junk", so I'm pretty happy with my acreage right
now.

My tabs are as wide as they are to accommodate the table column headings. I
may vary the width slightly if I'm concentrating on Tablespaces for awhile,
but that's usually about the size of it.

Rich -- [TeamT]

Disclaimer: Playoffs?!??? PLAYOFFS???!???

Hi Rich,

I'm all about real estate. My main (Toad) monitor is a 20"
1600x1200
That makes sense. I suspect at that resolution and width, even I could
cope with MLTs!

I also have my 1440x900 laptop screen as a secondary for
Nice. I have one small 17" LCD to do everything. My ALT-TAB keys are
work shiny with the amount of usage they get!

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]