Toad 10.1 patch available

We strongly recommend getting it. Available here-

https://support.quest.com/SUPPORT/index?page=productInformation&pid=PR268435520&question_product=Toad%20for%20Oracle

or here-

https://support.quest.com/Portal/Logon.asp?redir=/SUPPORT/index?page=solution&id=SOL58370

I wouldn’t install this yet, I have confirmed with one of my colleagues that it breaks the Schema Browser when viewing packages - it doesn’t refresh the RHS when trying to view package contents. There are workarounds but it’s a bit of a pain.

You might want to wait until we’ve heard confirmation that this isn’t an issue for everyone.

Richard

This same issue is being discussed in the toadbeta group, but I haven’t seen a reply on this board yet. This issue only affects the tabbed-view Schema Browser. The work-around would be to switch to the drop-down view (which I think is better anyway) or the tree view until early Dec when 10.1.1 is released.

-Brad

Hi Brad,

After many, many years using the tabs, I’ll use this issue to try the drop-down
view seeing as you recommend it.

Is the drop-down view order configurable like the tabs? It seems to be fixed
alphabetical.

As a workaround I added numbers before my most accessed areas so they appear at
the top of the list…

e.g.

1 Tables

2 Packages

Works nicely.

Cheers,

Kevin.

PS. Overall, loving TOAD 10 so far…

On 2 Nov 2009, at 14:05, Brad Boddicker wrote:

This same issue is being discussed in the toadbeta group, but I haven’t seen
a reply on this board yet. This issue only affects the tabbed-view Schema
Browser. The work-around would be to switch to the drop-down view (which I
think is better anyway) or the tree view until early Dec when 10.1.1 is
released.

-Brad

The order is just alphabetical. That’s a clever workaround though.

I do the same! 1_Favorites J

Same here, but I use a two digit number so I can maintain order once I am past
“9” (01, 02, 03,…10, 11…). I use the same numbering
pattern for my Project Manger: To Do List

That is a good work-around. I usually just activate the drop-down and start
typing the object type I want to see

Cheers Brad, I think I’ll use a combination of the two approaches.

Kevin.

On 2 Nov 2009, at 14:58, Brad Boddicker wrote:

I usually just activate the drop-down and start typing the object type I
want to see

I’m tellin’ ya, you won’t go back to tabbed view :slight_smile:

You know, you might just be right!

As long as I’m not forced into tree mode at some point…all a bit SQL Dvloper
for my tastes… :wink:

On 2 Nov 2009, at 15:24, Brad Boddicker wrote:

I’m tellin’ ya, you won’t go back to tabbed view :slight_smile:

I used to hate Tree view…but it works really good when looking at database
level objects like tablespaces, roles, etc.

What would be nice is if we could have a tree view that still had a dropdown
selector for ‘Schema’, and then had tree nodes for each of the
object types, would be like a best-of-both-worlds type scenario.

Jeff, you can get that now with the Database Browser

Hi Kevin,

As long as I'm not forced into tree mode at some point...all
a bit SQL Dvloper for my tastes... :wink:

don't let Norm hear you say that, he loves the tree view! :wink:

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else. We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes. If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Hehe - I won’t tell him if you don’t…

Personally, I’m looking forward to the “Minority Report” view in TOAD 20 -
that’s sure to please everyone!

On 2 Nov 2009, at 15:51, Dunbar, Norman wrote:

don’t let Norm hear you say that, he loves the tree view! :wink:

Sorry,

Tried both tree view (too much info and too hard to find what I want –
usually in the same single schema that is not built on my username) and the
dropdown view (way too slow to get to things).

I like the tab view MUCH better, so I will just stay away from the patch.

Lynn Olpin

IMDB Program Office

526 ICBMSG/ENS

E-Mail: Lynn.Olpin@hill.af.mil
smime.p7s (5.04 KB)

Same here, I’m a fan of the Tab View (but I will give the dropdown another go - just for fun).

I have reinstalled TOAD 10 without the patch as I wasn’t coming across any of the issues reported as fixed…but I guess time will tell.

As a tip, your user settings are still there after uninstalling TOAD 10 so when you do another install you should be able to import them again (from Documents and Settings\xxx_xxx\Application Data\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\10.0_uninstalled)

Richard

Second that; tabbed view is the only way to go. Tree View should be called ‘Scroll Forever View’, and dropdown requires an extra click to get to the object set you’re after. But I’m still glad they offer all 3 options. I have some old SQL*Nav users on my team that I made Toad converts of and they can’t break away from the tree.

Tab view is fine, but I have like 30 tabs and it takes forever to
scroll…if I go to multi-line tab, I have a hard time finding the right
tab.

Treeview takes too many clicks.

Dropdown is a click, then a keystroke.

None are perfect, all are good. Kinda like political parties?

True, I should qualify my opinion by the fact that I use multi-line and have my tabs honed down to 3 rows; if I needed to get at all the possible tabs a lot then multi-line does get cluttered and you spend time hunting for the right tab to hit. And using the dropdown would be better than using single line tabs. So many options…