Toad 12.8 crashed on read from address EF

All,

I’m on Toad 12.8.0.22. I compiled a 4K-line package body using F9.
Even though I did not change window scope, the windows status bar lighted up when the compile completed. As if I’d been running a task in Toad and switched to something else in between.

Since my Toad session was still in scope (as seen from a Windows perspective) I simply hit F5 to execute the entire script (which does some housekeeping in addition to the compile itself).

Then I got this error pop-up:
Toad_crash_20150908.png

This time the error log file was saved correctly.

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/86/Toad_5F00_el_5F00_20150908.txt:320:240]

If you have any additional questions, please do ask!

Abe Kornelis

Abe,

The log you have attached is still from 9/1 and the incorrect version.

1.1 Start Date : Tue, 1 Sep 2015 07:13:20 +0200

1.2 Name/Description: Toad.exe - (Toad™ for Oracle®)

1.3 Version Number : 12.8.0.20

If you get this dialog, if you click on the “click here” link, it will open up a dialog that has a “copy to clipboard” check box on it. From there, you can just paste the information into this thread.

Gregory,

The logger has extended the file in stead of overwriting it.
Check the log and find that it contains 4 errorlogs.

The latest one is the one related to this issue.

Kind regards,
Abe

Interestingly enough the error you had from 9/4 is in there as well and for the same issue as your current one.

Extending the file instead of overwriting is by design. At one time it would maintain the previous 32 exception and then during an upgrade a few releases ago it was accidentally changed to maintain the last 1 exception. It again maintains the last 32 which is good for cascading exception scenarios where the first is the real problem, but subsequent exceptions were blowing away the initial one in the log.

Michael

On 09/08/2015 09:14 AM, kornelis.abe wrote:

RE: Toad 12.8 crashed on read from address EF

Reply by kornelis.abe
Gregory,

Kind regards,

Abe

===

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

It seems to be failing down in the bowels of the script engine (QSE.dll).

Can you add ScriptDebug=1 to your Toad.ini file and try that script again? It will create two files in your userfiles dir - ToadScriptDebug.txt and qsetrace.log. Please send those along...they provide some very detailed logging of what is going on in the script engine.

Thanks,

Greg

From: Michael Staszewski [mailto:bounce-mstaszew@toadworld.com]

Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 9:34 AM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Toad 12.8 crashed on read from address EF

Reply by Michael Staszewski

Interestingly enough the error you had from 9/4 is in there as well and for the same issue as your current one.

Extending the file instead of overwriting is by design. At one time it would maintain the previous 32 exception and then during an upgrade a few releases ago it was accidentally changed to maintain the last 1 exception. It again maintains the last 32 which is good for cascading exception scenarios where the first is the real problem, but subsequent exceptions were blowing away the initial one in the log.

Michael

On 09/08/2015 09:14 AM, kornelis.abe wrote:

Reply by kornelis.abe

Gregory,

Kind regards,

Abe

===

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Greg,

I added ScriptDebug=1 at the top of the Toad.ini fiel, started Toad, executed the script.

The error did not occur (until it has happened only a few rare times, I ran the script dozens of times today).
The files were not created.

I’ll keep the parm in, hoping that on the next occasion I’ll be able to get those files to you.

Kind regards
Abe

Michael,

I fully understand that extending the error-log allows for moree extensive and conclusive post-mortem analyses.

I’ll keep in mind to rename the error log rather than to copy it after a failure has occurred…

Thanks for the info.
Abe

I'll keep in mind to rename the error log rather than to copy it after a failure has occurred...

You can send it as-is if you'd like. Having prior exceptions in there from previous runs is no biggie. Our log viewer tool has changed the sorting so a couple of us didn't initially see the newest exception at the bottom.

On 09/08/2015 11:25 AM, kornelis.abe wrote:

Reply by kornelis.abe
Michael,

I fully understand that extending the error-log allows for moree extensive and conclusive post-mortem analyses.

I'll keep in mind to rename the error log rather than to copy it after a failure has occurred...

Thanks for the info.

Abe

===

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Ok, I got the requested files, even though Toad did not crash.

FYI: if one adds the added setting at the bottom of the .ini file it will not work. It has to go at the top of the file!

Anyway: here they are:

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/86/ToadScriptDebug.txt:320:240]

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/86/qsetrace.log:320:240]

Michael,

I’m now on beta 12.8.0.27. I’ve been working all day on a set of objects and their create-scripts.

While closing down to go home, Toad crashed, SinceI’m still running Toad with ScriptDebug=1 we now should have some usable info for your analysis.

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/86/7624.Toad_5F00_el_5F00_20150904.txt:320:240][View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/86/8780.qsetrace.log:320:240][View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/86/6646.ToadScriptDebug.txt:320:240]