Toad and Git for historical code changes

Hi,

This is my first post. I’m new to Toad and we currently don’t have any kind of versioning in place. I have suggested we use Git so was pleased to see that you have Git built in. Currently, it’s a very small team and we do a lot of testing in our testing server (in Toad) before deploying to our live sever through Toad. The only problem here is that we can’t track how the code has changed. Much as we’re sure that the new code works and does what it’s meant to be doing we have no way to track how the code has changed over time, which would be good to help identify how the business goals changed and things like that. What I was hoping to do was basically use Git through Toad as a way to track how our SQL code has changed, as it’s a very small team it’s highly unlikely we will both be working on the very same file at the same time, in fact we all have completely separate areas of focus. So would this be possible through Toad, I was hoping for basically Toad to just push a file every time it’s altered automatically, meaning that in 6 months time someone could come in and say “Oh, this was the code, but it changed on this date due to x,y,z” kind of thing. Is that possible?

Thanks

Hello,

You can use git to manage your files in Toad and can view and load different versions of files from within Toad. Toad works directly with your local Git Repository,
and adds all staged changes to Git, whenever you do a check in from Toad. So it is possible to keep a history, as you describe. Currently, Toad does not automatically sync from or push to the remote git repository. You need to do this from the command line,
or write a script to do it.

Please check out this blog on using Git with Toad.

http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/b/weblog/archive/2014/05/20/using-git-version-control-system-in-toad.aspx

Stephen

Sent: Friday, July 04, 2014 8:12 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Toad and Git for historical code changes

Toad and Git for historical code changes

Thread created by Jonny1

Hi,

This is my first post. I’m new to Toad and we currently don’t have any kind of versioning in place. I have suggested we use Git so was pleased to see that you have Git built in. Currently, it’s
a very small team and we do a lot of testing in our testing server (in Toad) before deploying to our live sever through Toad. The only problem here is that we can’t track how the code has changed. Much as we’re sure that the new code works and does what it’s
meant to be doing we have no way to track how the code has changed over time, which would be good to help identify how the business goals changed and things like that. What I was hoping to do was basically use Git through Toad as a way to track how our SQL
code has changed, as it’s a very small team it’s highly unlikely we will both be working on the very same file at the same time, in fact we all have completely separate areas of focus. So would this be possible through Toad, I was hoping for basically Toad
to just push a file every time it’s altered automatically, meaning that in 6 months time someone could come in and say “Oh, this was the code, but it changed on this date due to x,y,z” kind of thing. Is that possible?

Thanks

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Thanks for your help Stephen I will look at implementing this.

Jonny

Hi Stephen,

The blogpost you have referred to here is for Toad Version 12. We are currently using Toad 9.6.0.27. Any suggestions on how to implement GIT for version control using this version of Toad ?

Thanks,

Samhita

Hi Samhita,

Toad for Oracle 9.6 does not support Git as a version control provider. PushOK Software wrote an SCC interface for Git, which you might be able to use; but it would not be supported by Quest, and may not work fully. Git support in Toad was introduced with Toad 12.1; but for the latest features and support, I’d recommend getting the latest version of Toad, which is Toad 13.0.

-John