Toad data mode 5.3 : Generate FK index with the DDL script generation

Hello,

Since the version 5.3, I can’t find the checkbox to generate foreign key index when I want to generate my DDL script.

How can I do in this version ?

Tkanks.

Hello galadorn,

The way of generating indexes to foreign keys has been changed in TDM 5.3. Previously you could check the option during DDL script generation. This caused the DDL script to be generated WITH the indexes while there were NOT indexes in the model itself. So when you later tried to compare the model with the DDL script or with the database where the DDL has been executed, you would see differences caused by the indexes.

Now the indexes are generated right in the model. There are two options to do it. The first is to select any relationship and go to Relationship Properties dialog. There is a new option Index to Foreign Key in Child Entity. Checking it will create the index to the FK in child entity.

If you want to generate indexes to foreign keys automatically, you can go to Settings | Physical Model and check the Index to Foreign Key in Child Entity option. Note that you can also enter the default name for newly generated indexes.

Regards,

Lukas

It appears my version of Toad Data Modeler is very different than the one you’re discussing. I have no way of identifying a Foreign Key relationship.

I have version:

Which has a very different “Relationship Properties” dialog

Hello William,

the feature we are discussing is implemented in TDM 5.3 only. If your Relationship Properties dialog looks different, it might be because:

• You're using an older version of TDM - see the image below, there is a difference between TDM 5.2 (left) and TDM 5.3 (right). Generally, the older your version is, the more differences you will see.

• You're opening the dialog in model of different database platform - even in the same version of TDM, the dialogs may vary due to the features supported by respective databases. See the image below, TDM version 5.3, Oracle left, Microsoft SQL Server right.

• You might be opening the dialog in Logical or Universal model. Again, the options there are very different to the options found in models of specific databases
    Regards,

Lukas