Toad Data Point for PostgreSQL Query Errors

Hi,

I've configured Toad Data Point to connect to our test PostgreSQL server. I've had no issues connecting, and it is returning all the tables/views etc in the object explorer, however no matter how I try, every SQL query in the editor returns an Object Reference Not Set to an Instance of an object error.

Here is the stack trace:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Stack trace:

Server stack trace:
at Quest.Toad.Postgres.PostgresToadConnection.CurrentSchema(IDbConnection connection)
at Quest.Toad.Editor.ScriptEngineManager.ChangeSchemaThread(Object obj)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at Quest.Toad.Util.Global.RethrowKeepingStackTrace(Exception e)
at Quest.Toad.Editor.ScriptEngineManager.ChangeSchemaThread(Object obj)

Exception rethrown at [1]:
at Quest.Toad.Util.Global.RethrowKeepingStackTrace(Exception e)
at Quest.Toad.Editor.ScriptEngineManager.ChangeSchema(ScriptEngine engine, String schema)
at Quest.Toad.Db.ScriptEngine.ExecuteBackground()

and the query is a simple wildcard query:

select * from batch_run_job_ctrl

It's driving me mad. I don't want to have to use PG Admin, our other tool for Postgre because I can't stand it's layout. I am however able to query successfully in PG Admin.

Anyone have any ideas?

Welcome to the Toad Data Point community.

What version number of TDP are you using?
I'll assume that you're command-lining your queries straight into the Editor and running from there. Assuming also that you're not connecting to other data sources. Reason for that last assumption is that it's possible for you to try to run a Postgres query, but the Editor has a connection context that is something other than Postgres. Even so, should give a database error, and not a product issue error.

What about having TDP generate the SQL for you? (as in the snap below) or even using the Visual Query Builder (e.g. drag the table/s desired and having TDP create the query)? Just seeing if there's an issue with how TDP handles Postgres in general.

Hi Gary,

I am using Toad Data Point 5.0.3.32 (64 bit), I have tried letting Toad generate the SQL as well as typing it into the editor. I'm not as much of a fan of the visual query builder but I don't think it's a SQL problem, I type SQL all day as I'm in and out of Oracle, SQL Server, and now Postgre databases all day as part of my work responsibilies.

I'm using the Postgre SQL Global development drivers, and I've tried all of them and they work fine to connect and show the objects but so far no luck on querying. If I open the object in the explorer and go to the data tab I can see the data is there.