Toad encountered a serious error and must close: TDP 4.2.1

When one of my clients tries to start Toad Data Point, he gets an error message about a NullReferenceException and Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

He is running Toad Data Point Base 4.2.1 on Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit (10.0.17763)

As a new user, I can't upload the error log so I'll just try to copy it below. I've tried a reinstall of the program but the issue remains. The main problem is that I'm not sure what to make of the error log's stack trace. I've been out of software development so long, it doesn't make much sense to me at this point.

NullReferenceException
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Stack Trace:
at Quest.Toad.ConnectionManager.ConnectMediator.IsEqual(ConnectMediator mediator, Boolean ignorePath, Boolean ignorName)
at Quest.Toad.ConnectionManager.ConnectionHierarchy.FindExistingConnection(ConnListNode parent, ConnectMediator mediator, Boolean ignorePath)
at Quest.Toad.ConnectionManager.ConnectionHierarchy.FindExistingConnection(ConnListNode parent, ConnectMediator mediator, Boolean ignorePath)
at Quest.Toad.ConnectionManager.ConnectionHierarchyStorage.AddConnections(StorageItem storageItem)
at Quest.Toad.ConnectionManager.ConnectionHierarchyStorage.AddItems(StorageItem storageItem)
at Quest.Toad.ConnectionManager.ConnectionHierarchyStorage.AddNodeItems(Boolean notify, Boolean ignorePath, ResultSet resultSet, ConnGroupNode groupNode, XmlNode platformNode)
at Quest.Toad.ConnectionManager.ConnectionHierarchyStorage.XmlToNodes(XmlDocument xmlDoc, ConnectionHierarchy hierarchy, Boolean notify, Boolean ignorePath)
at Quest.Toad.ConnectionManager.ConnectionHierarchyStorage.Load(ConnectionHierarchy connectionHierarchy, XmlDocument xmlDoc, Boolean notify, Boolean ignorePath)
at Quest.Toad.ConnectionManager.ConnectionHierarchyStorage.Load(ConnectionHierarchy connectionHierarchy, Boolean notify)
at Quest.Toad.ConnectionManager.ConnectionHierarchy..ctor()
at Quest.Toad.ConnectionManager.ConnectionHierarchy.get_Instance()
at Quest.Toad.Gui.MainForm.repositoryItemCurrentConnection_CustomDisplayText(Object sender, CustomDisplayTextEventArgs e)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.Repository.RepositoryItem.RaiseCustomDisplayText(CustomDisplayTextEventArgs e)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.Repository.RepositoryItemTextEdit.RaiseCustomDisplayText(CustomDisplayTextEventArgs e)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.Repository.RepositoryItem.RaiseCustomDisplayText(FormatInfo format, Object editValue, String displayText)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.Repository.RepositoryItem.GetDisplayText(FormatInfo format, Object editValue)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.Repository.RepositoryItemPopupContainerEdit.GetDisplayText(FormatInfo format, Object editValue)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.ViewInfo.BaseEditViewInfo.GetDisplayText()
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.ViewInfo.TextEditViewInfo.GetDisplayText()
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.ViewInfo.TextEditViewInfo.OnEditValueChanged()
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.ViewInfo.BaseEditViewInfo.set_EditValue(Object value)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.BarEditLinkViewInfo.UpdateViewInfo(Point mousePosition)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.BarEditLinkViewInfo.UpdateEditBoundsCore()
at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.BarEditLinkViewInfo.UpdateEditBounds(Graphics g, Rectangle r, Boolean isVertical)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.BarEditLinkViewInfo.CalcHorizontalViewInfo(Graphics g, Object sourceObject, Rectangle r)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.BarLinkViewInfo.CalcViewInfo(Graphics g, Object sourceObject, Rectangle r)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.BarControlViewInfo.CalcHorizontalViewInfo(Graphics g, Object sourceObject, Rectangle rect)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.DockedBarControlViewInfo.CalcHorizontalViewInfo(Graphics g, Object sourceObject, Rectangle rect)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.BarControlViewInfo.CalcViewInfo(Graphics g, Object sourceObject, Rectangle rect)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.Controls.CustomControl.UpdateViewInfo()
at DevExpress.XtraBars.Controls.CustomLinksControl.UpdateViewInfo()
at DevExpress.XtraBars.Controls.CustomControl.OnResize(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnSizeChanged(EventArgs e)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.Controls.DockedBarControl.OnSizeChanged(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.UpdateBounds(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 clientWidth, Int32 clientHeight)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.UpdateBounds(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetBoundsCore(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height, BoundsSpecified specified)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetBounds(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height, BoundsSpecified specified)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Bounds(Rectangle value)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.Bar.DevExpress.XtraBars.Utils.IDockableObject.set_Bounds(Rectangle value)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarDockControl.UpdateControlBounds(Int32 startN, Int32 endN, Int32 incN, Boolean updateSize)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarDockControl.DoLayout(Boolean updateSize)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarDockControl.DoLayout()
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarDockControl.UpdateDockSize()
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarDockControl.OnBarDockChanged()
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarDockControl.EndUpdate()
at DevExpress.XtraBars.Bar.ApplyDocking(BarDockInfo dockInfo)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.Bar.DevExpress.XtraBars.Utils.IDockableObject.ApplyDocking(BarDockInfo dockInfo)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.Utils.BarManagerDockingHelper.UpdateBarDocking()
at DevExpress.XtraBars.Utils.BarManagerLoadHelper.LoadCore()
at DevExpress.XtraBars.Utils.BarManagerLoadHelper.Load()
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarManager.ForceLinkCreate()
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarManager.ForceInitialize()
at Quest.Toad.Gui.MainForm..ctor()
at Quest.Toad.StartupForm.MainAppicationEntryPoint(String args)
at Quest.Toad.ToadProcessEntryPoint.Main(String args)

Welcome to the TDP forum, James.

There are many reasons for the "NullReferenceException", as you can check in our TDP Knowledge base on our Support site:
https://support.quest.com/toad-data-point/kb?k=object+reference+not+set+to+an+instance+of+an+object&cause=suggest

However, rather than spending time on wading through the articles, I would like to encourage your client to install the latest 5.2 version of TDP, as 4.2 is a pretty old release, and there have been a number of product enhancements/fixes since then.

Thank you for the information. I'll take a look around the KB to see what I can find, but I'll also suggest upgrading to the latest version to see if that's a possible route.