Trca file browser for trcsess files

Hi

Toad 12.1.0.22 x64 on Orac 11.2.0.4 x64 on Win 7 x64 SP1

I have used trcsess utility from AIX x64 6.1 which merged me a bunch of trc files in one file (session were split in several other session).
Just to mention that trc file has about 2 GB, what is not a problem-I have used trca utility with larger files with no problem ( I have 16 GB laptop).
Toad load 834.000 lines and freeze.

Is Toad able to analyze such a trc file? I have to add that this file has dozen of entries like:
*** [ Unix process pid: 43188546 ]
*** 2014-03-05 20:01:47.602
which are joined trc parts from other trc file.

Any comment?

Brg

Damir

I’ve never seen such a trace file that was merged by trcsess, so I’m not sure. If it looks like a regular trace file and just happens to be merged, then it should be no problem. It is a rather large file though…

Does it open any faster in the beta? I did some work this beta cycle to improve open times.

I’ve done such trace file merges using that utility – so far toad has opened them up just fine. I’ve never done more than about 300,000 lines because toad before
current beta has some performance issues on big trace files that John mentioned he thinks are better now
J

Sent: Friday, March 07, 2014 8:12 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Trca file browser for trcsess files

RE: Trca file browser for trcsess files

Reply by John Dorlon

I’ve never seen such a trace file that was merged by trcsess, so I’m not sure. If it looks like a regular trace file and just happens to be merged, then it should be no problem. It is a
rather large file though…

Does it open any faster in the beta? I did some work this beta cycle to improve open times.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

To be clear, it’s not just the size of the files that causes Toad 12.1 and older to open them slowly. Sometimes things in the trace files aren’t in the order
that they occurred, and Toad has to put them in the right order for display. This causes Toad to have to go back and forth in the file (it caches about 1MB at a time), and when there is a LOT of that, that’s when things slow down. I found a way to minimize
that in 12.5, which is why it loads them faster.

From: Bert Scalzo [mailto:bounce-Bert_Scalzo@toadworld.com]

Sent: Friday, March 07, 2014 8:56 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Trca file browser for trcsess files

Reply by Bert Scalzo

<!--[if !mso]><!--[if gte mso 9]><!--[if gte mso 9]> I’ve done such trace file merges using that utility – so far toad has opened them up just fine. I’ve never done more than about 300,000 lines because toad before current beta has some performance issues on big trace files that John mentioned he thinks are better now J **From:** John Dorlon [mailto:bounce-jdorlon@toadworld.com] **Sent:** Friday, March 07, 2014 8:12 AM **To:** toadoracle@toadworld.com **Subject:** RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Trca file browser for trcsess files **[RE: Trca file browser for trcsess files](http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/f/10/p/21512/45062.aspx#45062)** Reply by John Dorlon I've never seen such a trace file that was merged by trcsess, so I'm not sure. If it looks like a regular trace file and just happens to be merged, then it should be no problem. It is a rather large file though.... Does it open any faster in the beta? I did some work this beta cycle to improve open times. To reply, please reply-all to this email. [Stop receiving emails](http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/f/10/t/21512.aspx?subscribe=false) on this subject. Or [ Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General](http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/f/10.aspx?subscribe=false) notifications altogether. Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum [Flag](http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/f/10/p/21512/45062.aspx?AbuseContentId=56689f01-97e5-4b69-bc45-7eb6091a109a&AbuseContentTypeId=f586769b-0822-468a-b7f3-a94d480ed9b0&AbuseFlag=true) this post as spam/abuse. ![](http://gyk.r.mailjet.com/o/04j0/7057457f/3lj39lme.gif) To reply, please reply-all to this email. [Stop receiving emails](http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/f/10/t/21512.aspx?subscribe=false) on this subject. Or [ Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General](http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/f/10.aspx?subscribe=false) notifications altogether. Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum [Flag](http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/f/10/p/21512/45063.aspx?AbuseContentId=c34057c3-f840-464e-a0cb-4203be117d89&AbuseContentTypeId=f586769b-0822-468a-b7f3-a94d480ed9b0&AbuseFlag=true) this post as spam/abuse. ![](http://gyk.r.mailjet.com/o/04j0/77ba46d0/3lk3962e.gif)

Hey Damir,

Does your trace file have instances of the same statement issued several thousands of times?

I just found a problem where this can cause the trace file to go through all of the lines and then look like it is stuck at or near the end of the file.
I should have this fixed for next beta.

-John

From: damir.vadas_531 [mailto:bounce-damirvadas_531@toadworld.com]

Sent: Friday, March 07, 2014 3:57 AM

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Trca file browser for trcsess files

Trca file browser for trcsess files

Thread created by damir.vadas_531

Hi

Toad 12.1.0.22 x64 on Orac 11.2.0.4 x64 on Win 7 x64 SP1

I have used trcsess utility from AIX x64 6.1 which merged me a bunch of trc files in one file (session were split in several other session).

Just to mention that trc file has about 2 GB, what is not a problem-I have used trca utility with larger files with no problem ( I have 16 GB laptop).

Toad load 834.000 lines and freeze.

Is Toad able to analyze such a trc file? I have to add that this file has doze of entries like:

*** [ Unix process pid: 43188546 ]

which are joined trc files in one trc file.

Any comment?

Brg

Damir

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

@guys
Thy for your reply.

As I said in initial post, size is not a problem I have tested even bigger trc files and Toad swallow that properly-salut to developers. But now you got me with which version ... hm this is a good question.
Frankly have no licence for newest Toad 12.5 beta sou I could not check that on your latest beta version .... will see if official Dell partner from Croatia may help.

Does your trace file have instances of the same statement
Probably has mainly because main session split on dozen other independent session (Java spool) which were lately joined with trcsess (Oracle tool).

happens to be merged
this is not like regulatr trc (have no classic header at all) mostly because it has inside several "joined" points from other trc files mentioned in original post labels. So I think this may confuse Toad a lot.

I'm willing to send .rarr5 file format (newest rar format) which is cca 208 MB, so you can unpack and see trc by yourself.

Bg

Damir

If you can put it up on an FTP server somewhere then I can get it. My email certainly won’t accept a 200MB attachment.

Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2014 2:08 AM

Reply by damir.vadas_531

@guys

Thy for your reply.

As I said in initial post, size is not a problem I have tested even bigger trc files and Toad swallow that properly-salut to developers.

Does your trace file have instances of the same statement

Probably has mainly because main session split on dozen other independent session (Java spool!).

I'm willing to send .rarr5 file format (newest rar format) which is cca 208 MB, so you can unpack and see trc by yourself.

Bg

Damir

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Ok.

Tried today with 12.5.0.31 x64 beta and result the same - freezed.

I’ll place today on mine dropbox, but need some mail where I can send link.

Brg

Damir

I sent my email address to your gmail acct.

I found some more opportunities for optimization in the trace file browser’s code. Now it processes your 2Gb file in about two and a half minutes. A big improvement!

Great.

just one clarification: Size was a problem or .trc structure (joined from several session)

Brg

Damir

I couldn’t tell that it was several files joined together. The size itself wasn’t a problem, but the fact that the file was so big made it easy for me to
spot places in my code that could have been more efficient. I think the prior beta would have finished the file eventually but it’s hard to say if that means an hour later or next week.

Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:27 PM

Reply by damir.vadas_531

Great.

just one clarification: Size was a problem or .trc structure (joined from several session)

Brg

Damir

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

John

Maybe I was not clear, but I asked what was the problem in Toad processing. SIze or structure?

Because I’m pretty sure that even bigger files has been processed in several minutes in some of last beta …

Thx

I understood the question. The answer wasn’t one of the choices you gave me. :slight_smile:

Toad has to do a lot of work pairing up recursive statements with their parents. Oracle doesn’t just say “this statement goes with that one”. The file you sent just happened to reveal some places in my code that could have been more efficient. Other files might not have been a problem in these areas of the code, regardless of their size. The file just had a good combination of characteristics to reveal areas to improve in Toad.

Clear.

Glad to help you like will be in the future when I find something.

@John, other in Toad team,

I can confirm that 12.5.0.36 beta has smashed mine trace in 2 minutes like a small toy.
Congratulations on very good job guys. Respect.
Brg
Damir Vadas

P.S.
The only small problem (in mine case) is that when I try to close Toad, it breaks (having no opened connections)…and trc took cca 5-6 GB of RAM.