use Toad from a flash drive?

Is it possible to “install” Toad for SQL Server on a flash drive, plug it into a computer and use it on the flash drive WITHOUT installing it on the computer? If so, are there any special things to do during the installation onto the flash drive so this works?

Hi,
you definetelly can install TSS on flash drive. The question is - do you want to store Toad settings on it as well or it is ok to you to store them locally on thier default place? They are stored in Documents and Settings (Users on Vista\W7) folder.

regards,
Alexander

I have downloaded “ToadforSQLServer_Freeware_5.5.0.1073.zip” and upgraded my desktop with this new version. Now I’d like to install it on a flash drive using the same desktop computer that has the upgraded version. However, when I click the .exe file the first screen that comes up says “Prior Installation” and gives these choices:
Uninstall Toad for SQL Server Freeware and continue with install.
Uninstall Toad for SQL Server Freeware ony.
I don’t want to do either of these options and there is no option for installing it to a flash drive. In this situation what are the steps to install Toad on a flash drive?

Can you please share your user case?
what for you need Toad installed on flash drive?

Toad does not support flash drive install because we update lot of system files during installation, which is the environment Toad needs to run. Our installation is not just a executable plus some dlls which allow you put them in a flash drive and take it with you to plug in any other computers.

Toad does not support flash drive install because we update lot of system files during installation, which is the environment Toad needs to run. Our installation is not just a executable plus some dlls which allow you put them in a flash drive and take it with you to plug in any other computers.

Toad cannot be installed twice in the same system. ( Can you install MS office twice? ) In your scenario, the flash drive is treated as another hard drive in your computer, since you already have Toad 5.5 installed, the installer can only do uninstall or re-install.

Toad cannot be installed twice in the same system. ( Can you install MS office twice? ) In your scenario, the flash drive is treated as another hard drive in your computer, since you already have Toad 5.5 installed, the installer can only do uninstall or re-install.

Yes, in this case I want to install Toad on a flash drive and use it at work. I prefer using Toad over SSMS. Unfortunately, I do not have rights to install software on my work machine - thus the need to use Toad from a flash drive.