Version 12.6.0.7 New Beta Version

This morning I downloaded and installed the new version. All too often developers hear of things not working. Sometimes you look at the person like they have 8 heads. Sometimes they have a point and other times they are just crazy because the functionality was never intended to be used like they are using it.

Just want to say, NICE JOB with this beta!

I also would like to make a suggestion for an enhancement. I use the Project Manager and would like to see auto sorting. If I write my program Step_1, Step_2 etc. I would like it to automatically sort the list. The sorting is in there but it is a manual process. *(Just a thought). * Or maybe it is already there and I do not know how to implement it?

Anything particular you like in the new beta? I’m hoping it;s the new ASH screen because that was one of my ideas :slight_smile: However as always it was John Dorlon or one of the other great developers who are the engineers who translate my mad scientist ideas into reality. I just ride their coat tails :slight_smile:

Armand,

Thanks for the feedback! You are very correct in that we normally hear “xxx is broken” via the beta group and for us, that’s all right. Our goal is to always improve Toad and without the constant feedback, we’d never have a chance given the size of the product. Hearing “nice job” once and a while really makes all of us want to try even harder.

Toad was always built on the feedback and ideas from the users. It’s what makes it very different from virtually every other product out there. If you get a chance, please add your idea to the idea pond (www.toadworld.com/…/default.aspx). That way it doesn’t get lost in the e-mail threads.

Thanks,

Greg

I would appreciate you telling me more about the ASH Screen. I do not know that acronym.

As far as any new ideas… I would have to say I would like to have the developers concentrate on fixing bugs. From my prospective, the last few releases have introduced a lot of new features. While that is a good thing for the folks who are “chopping at the bit” to get the new stuff, however, for me, having a bunch of bugs that do not get squashed is a bit frustrating. Having said that, I also know about the business end of things on getting functionality to the clients as well as increasing revenue for the company. There as to be a balance.

That said, from what I see in the new beta it appears the bugs that usually come up, are now gone!

But I know myself. When I program, if I see a textbox that is a few centimeters off, I just have to fix it.

Active Session History - it’s an Oracle OEM (requires license) feature for tuning SQL sessions and it’s pretty darned useful. So Toad now has a screen for using ASH so that for people who prefer Toad’s interface vs OEM, they now have an option.

You know, after thinking about this for a while, I did come up with something. How about being able to see the available functions? The Object Palette Type lists Tables, Views & Synonyms. Why not Functions?

Tables, Views and Synonyms have been the only things in the OP for at least 12 years (since before I worked here!). I guess the intent was to just list the objects that are most likely to appear in your queries.

At one point several years ago someone asked why not have all object types in the OP, just like the SB, and I thought “yeah, why not” so we released that in beta but it wasn’t very well received, so it was rolled back to just tables, views and synonyms.

Anyway, there’s no reason why we couldn’t have functions or any other object type in there too, but I’d like to see some kind of community consensus on it first. I’ve often thought that maybe a nice list of object types here would be most of the things that were available in Oracle 7 - that is, just the most basic, common object types.

From my experience, I found the folks who used Toad for Oracle were segmented.

One group would always use the Query Builder. You would not see them ever using just the Editor to write their queries. If they could not perform their query using the Query Builder they were stuck. If you attempted to change the way they do their work, the resistance was awful. If they did agree it was with a great effort even if it gave them their answer.

The other group would only use the Editor to write their queries. In this group if someone provided them knowledge that would provide a benefit, these folks would adapt very quickly.

In the end, I guess it would depend upon what the reasoning was at the time that your clients did not like the added functionality? Which group did they fall into above?

Could it be implemented and turned on or off by a configuration in Toad / Options?

Actually if I’m writing SQL these days a function can be in the where clause, select clause and/or the table clause - so functions today make a little more sense for the object pallette than in days past. So maybe we could think about just adding functions ???

Yup, and we can reference constants and functions that are in packages. We can also reference schema names, sequences, indexes (in hints), and if we’re not just talking about DML, but DDL too, then any object type can be referenced.

Armond, for now, you could hit F12 on your Schema Browser to make the RHS go away. Then you have essentially an object palette with every object type and a lot more rt-click functionality. Hit F12 again to bring the SB RHS back.

Is it me, or can't I lock my toolbars anymore? Can't find the option anywhere.

Groetjes,
Wim

google.com/+WimdeLange

2014-06-18 16:04 GMT+02:00 armand c bounce-armand_charest@toadworld.com:

Thread created by armand c
This morning I downloaded and installed the new version. All too often developers hear of things not working. Sometimes you look at the person like they have 8 heads. Sometimes they have a point and other times they are just crazy because the functionality was never intended to be used like they are using it.

I also would like to make a suggestion for an enhancement. I use the Project Manager and would like to see auto sorting. If I write my program Step_1, Step_2 etc. I would like it to automatically sort the list. The sorting is in there but it is a manual process. *(Just a thought). * Or maybe it is already there and I do not know how to implement it?

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Menu in 12.5:

Menu in 12.6

Groetjes,
Wim

google.com/+WimdeLange

2014-06-19 9:48 GMT+02:00 Wim de Lange wimdelange@gmail.com:

Is it me, or can't I lock my toolbars anymore? Can't find the option anywhere.

Groetjes,
Wim

google.com/+WimdeLange

2014-06-18 16:04 GMT+02:00 armand c bounce-armand_charest@toadworld.com:

Thread created by armand c

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.