Why can't I access database after cataloging it?

I recently had Toad4.2.7 installed. Have successfully connected and accessed a production db. In trying to connect and access another database, connection works, shows in list catalog and nodes but when I try to access with logon id and password (that others use), I get the following message.

ERROR [08001] [IBM] SQL30081N A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: “TCP/IP”. Communication API being used: “SOCKETS”. Location where the error was detected: “10.176.19.199”. Communication function detecting the error: “recv”. Protocol specific error code(s): “", "”, “0”. SQLSTATE=08001

I (and others) have verified that the catalog entries I’m using are correct. I have uncatalog and recataloged, verified that node and database exist using list commands. The interesting thing is if I ignore TOAD completely and only use native DB2 software to catalog, I can successfully access the database with the logon and password.

HELP & thanks in advance

We didn’t release 4.2.7, - The latest one is 4.7.1.638.
You can take in consideration following:

1. You may have several DB2 clients installed (TOAD uses its own client and TOAD’s client\catalog must be configured)
  2. You can try to uncatalog this DATABASE and associated NODE and after that import catalog profile from your colleagues (where connection to this database is working)
  3. Previously I’ve seen such issue when I was trying to connect to my local database using “short” catalog info (that IBM can use when cataloging local database after local DB2 installation). Try to catalog from inside the TOAD using “Client Configuration Wizard”.
  4. Try using IP instead of Host Name when you catalog your DB

Vlas