Wrong number of blocks in partition grid

Toad 12.11.0.82x64

When you look in table grid (by partition) you get:

But when you look for real segments:

I think that first grid should show rows from sys.USER_TAB_PARTITIONS but blocks from user_segments view because it is more correct.

Brg

Damir

Well, it’s not that one is right and the other is wrong, but they give slightly different information, according to Oracle docs -

DBA_TAB_PARTITIONS.Blocks: Number of used data blocks in the partition (So…used <= total)

DBA_SEGMENTS.Blocks: Size, in Oracle blocks, of the segment

Docs also mention that the info in dba_tab_partitions comes from collected statistics.

I could join these two views to populate that grid, and have both a “used blocks” and “total blocks” column, but dba_segments is awfully slow in some databases and the extra bit of info may not be worth the added delay of loading that tab. Might be a good thing to put up for a vote in the idea pond.

Ok … you have right in one way.

But then name a column “stat_blocks” to miss lead the value.

OK?

P.S.

Stat can be obsolete or partition can be split or merged and then …what is the value of blocks?

Stat can be obsolete or partition can be split or merged and then ...what is the value of blocks?

Well, I guess in that case, the statistics become obsolete, so it's time to update them. :slight_smile:

The columns in that grid either fall under the category of “Definition” or “Statistics”, so I’ll group and and label them as such once we get back into betas.

Noted with thanks.
Damir (sent from OnePlus 3T)

On May 30, 2017 20:29, "John Dorlon" bounce-jdorlon@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: Wrong number of blocks in partition grid

Reply by John Dorlon
The columns in that grid either fall under the category of "Definition" or "Statistics", so I'll group and and label them as such once we get back into betas.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta Forum notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.