12.1 and repository

I just upgraded to 12.1.0.22 and now when I try to open a script it get an error about not being able to access the repository. I have never set up either a public or private repository. Now I can’t open any scripts. how do I disable this?

Hey Chris,

Hmm… I’m not seeing what you’re seeing – even when I disable my network connection. I’d suggest first checking the “Online” page of Toad’s Options window
to make sure a private repository setting wasn’t somehow carried over from a previous version.

If that doesn’t work, can you add “DEBUG=1” to your Toad.ini file, and then send me your ToadDebug.txt file offline along with a screenshot of the error you’re
seeing? That may help to track down why you’re getting this error.

Thanks,

-John

From: whgwannabe [mailto:bounce-whgwannabe@toadworld.com]

Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 9:49 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] 12.1 and repository

12.1 and repository

Thread created by whgwannabe

I just upgraded to 12.1.0.22 and now when I try to open a script it get an error about not being able to access the repository. I have never set up either a public
or private repository. Now I can’t open any scripts. how do I disable this?

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Just to make sure I’m understanding correctly, your pressing the Open File button, and then you get this error before the Open Dialog opens? I’m assuming
the Open dialog doesn’t open at all?

The option for the repository is under View > Toad Options > Online > Script Repository. The default is ‘Toad World’.

Can you maybe send a print screen of the message your getting?

This is a shot in the dark, but maybe try this…

1. Help > Toad World > Sign in or Register

2. Login with your Toad World credentials

3. Go back to the editor and try opening a file again

Did this work?

Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 9:49 AM

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] 12.1 and repository

12.1 and repository

Thread created by whgwannabe

I just upgraded to 12.1.0.22 and now when I try to open a script it get an error about not being able to access the repository. I have never set up either a
public or private repository. Now I can’t open any scripts. how do I disable this?

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

I am logged in. Yes, it’s before the open dialog, the open dialog never occurs. I have attached a screen shot of the error.
repository_error.jpeg

No change. debug.txt attached. Looks like I can only attach one file, so see my reply to Dennis in this same thread for the error
ToadDebug.txt (18.9 KB)

Hey Chris,

Thanks for forwarding this. A similar issue was just recently brought to our attention internally, but I wasn’t able to reproduce it. These two issues may
be related, but it’s hard to track down. A couple of things to check:

Check to make sure the SQL_PATH item in Toad.ini is pointing to a valid directory. If that directory doesn’t exist, try changing it to a known one.

Check to make sure that the items in that directory are valid and not corrupt. Is there a shortcut perhaps in that folder that’s pointing to an invalid
location?

If all else fails, try resetting your User files using the “Utilities -> Copy user settings” and select “Create a clean set of user files from the
base installation”. The internal example came from importing user settings from a previous version. Does the problem go away then?

I should be able to add additional error checking for the first beta; but until that’s released, I’m hoping one of these options will get this issue resolved
for you. Let me know if any of these options work. And I’ll continue to research things on this end.

Thanks!

-John

Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 1:38 PM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] 12.1 and repository

RE: 12.1 and repository

Reply by whgwannabe

No change. debug.txt attached. Looks like I can only attach one file, so see my reply to Dennis in this same thread for the error

Attachments:

ToadDebug.txt

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hey Chris,

Scratch that. I think I just found it:

If you can, check to make sure that all folders listed in the “CommonDialogFavorites” item in Toad.ini are pointing to valid locations. I believe that may
be where the problem is. If you think they are, try removing them, starting Toad and recreating them within the dialog.

Let me know if that fixes your problem.

-John

Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 1:59 PM

Reply by John Bowman

Hey Chris,

Thanks for forwarding this. A similar issue was just recently brought to our attention internally, but I wasn’t able to reproduce it. These two issues may
be related, but it’s hard to track down. A couple of things to check:

Check to make sure the SQL_PATH item in Toad.ini is pointing to a valid directory. If that directory doesn’t exist, try changing it to a known one.

Check to make sure that the items in that directory are valid and not corrupt. Is there a shortcut perhaps in that folder that’s pointing to an invalid location?

If all else fails, try resetting your User files using the “Utilities -> Copy user settings” and select “Create a clean set of user files from the base installation”. The
internal example came from importing user settings from a previous version. Does the problem go away then?

I should be able to add additional error checking for the first beta; but until that’s released, I’m hoping one of these options will get this issue resolved
for you. Let me know if any of these options work. And I’ll continue to research things on this end.

Thanks!

-John

Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 1:38 PM

Reply by whgwannabe

Attachments:

ToadDebug.txt

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

He shoots… he scores!!!

A directory in favorites had been moved from active projects to closed projects. We do that all the time. Does that mean I can’t use favorites any more? I would be nice if it would just remove entrries that are no longer valid or at least ignore them.

Thanks for your help. I’m back in buisness.

Excellent! I’m glad to hear that fixed the problem!

It appears to be a bug that’s caused by the underlying component we’re using. I can get that fixed for the first 12.Next beta.

Thanks for letting me know about this!

-John

Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 3:18 PM

Reply by whgwannabe

He shoots… he scores!!!

A directory in favorites had been moved from active projects to closed projects. We do that all the time. Does that mean I can’t use favorites any more? I would
be nice if it would just remove entrries that are no longer valid or at least ignore them.

Thanks for your help. I’m back in buisness.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

same thing happened to me. I found , next to the lines. I removed it and then tried logging back in. Now I can’t get in and get access denied because I believe my ToadWorld password has changed. Looks like a few bugs need to be ironed out. Not cool when fancy features cripple the app.

uninstall, re-install, re-migrate 12.01 user files across to 12.1 and now it works.

Hey Jack,

It looks like we are experiencing some technical issues with Toad World this morning. As a result, the repository may be unavailable until that issue was resolved.
My guess is that you may also be receiving that error message if Toad is set to automatically log you into Toad World, and that fails. If it happens again, try going to the “Online” page of Toad’s Option window and temporarily log out of Toad World.

However, the issue you and Chris were experiencing with invalid local favorites locations has already been fixed for the first beta of Toad 12.Next.

-John

From: JackAddington [mailto:bounce-jack69195@toadworld.com]

Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 10:19 AM

Reply by JackAddington

same thing happened to me. I found , next to the lines. I removed it and then tried logging back in. Now I can’t get in and get access denied because I believe my ToadWorld password has
changed. Looks like a few bugs need to be ironed out. Not cool when fancy features cripple the app.

Stop receiving emails
on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Fancy Features are for Discriminating Users

In this case, almost nobody.

We try things, sometimes they fall absolutely flat. We give them time. How much time? That’s always the question. Over time, we remove things which fell flat.
In this case we are trying to envision evolving this capability into much broader possibilities. We’ll see if we do so or not. I happen to believe firmly in deep product integration with the Cloud in some way, shape or form, somehow, some way, some year. I
think deep integration is unavoidable. I think it’s worth trying a variety of ways to get there. This may not be a good way at all. There are other ways I’m proposing that we try.

More and more things are offering deep cloud integration. (We were required to rename ‘cloud’ in the current example to ‘repository’ by marketing because “Nobody
knows what cloud is, it’s too vague.”) My response to that is - Baloney. You buy a music device, you can keep your music in the cloud. You buy a reading device, you can keep your books in the cloud. You can buy a database tool and keep your files in the
cloud. What’s so terrifyingly confusing about that? But we obeyed and used the word “repository” instead.

I think the word “cloud” is unavoidable, and I think it’s only confusing when we try to out-think, out-maneuver those who are a lot more intelligent than us

• our users. I think admitting that you guys know what you want more than we do is a good first step in humility and trying to discern and give you what you want and need to get your jobs done.

But we are constantly under pressure to answer the question, “What next?” and provide more & more material in the product with which to sell it. Since that
will likely never change the question then becomes, “how can we continue to evolve this product while making it less bloat ware?” Our competitors of course have it very easy: Toad is their Marketing Requirements Document. They can just sit back and cherry
pick our most popular features and skip the rest. Some would say that’s an enviable position. I would say “leap frog us, offer users something more intriguing and useful.” In other words, advance the industry, don’t replicate it. Of course there’s a balance
there. If something is useful to users it should be provided. But not always by blindly copying it.

Advancing technology gives us self-driving cars. It takes sacrificing revenue, investing and being patient instead of trying to stuff each quarter’s coffers
with as much money as possible.

There are alternative ways of producing software. Toad Oracle has always done things differently. Now that we are owned by Dell time will tell if that model
of corporate progressiveness will be able to be sustained.

This product has always lived and died by the user community. I hope that reality never changes. The most common type of comment in our monthly survey data
is: “Bottom line: focus on quality, not quantity.” It’s hard to know what to do with that. We’ve spent a lot of time focusing on quality. There are only so many bugs to fix and test for. After that, we have a team to keep busy, and features to drum up for
each new release so we can sell more product.

Mark

From: JackAddington [mailto:bounce-jack69195@toadworld.com]

Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 10:19 AM

Reply by JackAddington

same thing happened to me. I found , next to the lines. I removed it and then tried logging back in. Now I can’t get in and get access denied because I believe my ToadWorld password has
changed. Looks like a few bugs need to be ironed out. Not cool when fancy features cripple the app.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.