TeamCoding/vcs

Hi,

started to use Teamcoding in combination with GIT from Toad 12.8. It worked good. Now with the 12.9.12 beta installed there are issues:

1. TOAD doesn’t rememeber the repository, so asked for it at every start of using teamcodig, mostly there is also a exception. If you choose the repository, the field stays very weird which look like some part on the Windows explorer.

2. Check-out works, but checkin not. It stays checkout. I looked at the table TCX_OBJECTS and number_of_locks stays 1 and not 0.

3. The vcs viewer is very slow, I never could use it (killed a hanging TOAD after 1hr). We have a git with about 4000 objects (both .Net and Oracle). With some logging on I see that TOAD for every file is checking the user, although it stays the same.

4. In the beta it is possible to adjust the folder names, nice feature. But the default now for package body is a folder name without underscore, at 12.8 it was 1 with an underscore, so TOAD make 2 new directories for a collection (same happens for type body). So for conversion it is better to have the underscore version as default

5. In the beta the option to set schema_owner before a filename is made adjustable. That is nice, but after unchecking, TOAD checks again all objects out and in, I think this should be an option. Now it looks like if everything has changed, but it is only the name. We made some reports based on the changes, and they went mad because of it )-;

So some thought on teamcoding. We are happy with it, no doubt about that :wink:

Herald ten Dam

Hey Herald,

The Git code hasn’t changed since the Toad 12.8 release. Since you’re experiencing these issues in Toad 12.9.0.12 beta, are you also experiencing them now in Toad 12.8 or is Toad 12.8 still working correctly and only Toad 12.9 beta is not?

In response to item #2, are you getting any errors in Toad’s regular or VCS output windows when you perform a checkin? For the VCS output window, you may need to turn on that option in Utilities -> Team Coding -> Show VCS command output window. You can also turn on VCS Debug logging for additional information.

In response to item #3, one of the limitations of Git is its ability to list only the files in the current project folder. It defaults to listing files both in the current folder as well as every subfolder every time you invoke the “ls-files” command. If you have a complex directory structure and/or lots of files (of which you have 4000+ files), all file entries for every subfolder are also returned by that command and Toad needs to extract only the ones for the current project folder to display in the VCS tree. The issue of checking the user each time is a separate issue; however I don’t believe that’s causing the performance issue you’re seeing.

For item #4, you’re correct. The default object type folders should contain an underscore to match previous versions of Toad. You can still override them, but the defaults should contain an underscore. This has been fixed for the next beta.

For item #5, when that option is changed, Toad will remove those matching files from the Team Coding tables in order to prevent key violations. It shouldn’t be checking the objects out of the VCS and back into the VCS. Are your reports based off the VCS or off the tables in the TOAD schema?

I’m glad to hear you guys are happy with Team Coding, overall. J

-John

From: herald.ten.dam [mailto:bounce-heraldtendam@toadworld.com]

Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2016 3:10 AM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] TeamCoding/vcs

TeamCoding/vcs

Thread created by herald.ten.dam

Hi,

started to use Teamcoding in combination with GIT from Toad 12.8. It worked good. Now with the 12.9.12 beta installed there are issues:

1. TOAD doesn’t rememeber the repository, so asked for it at every start of using teamcodig, mostly there is also a exception. If you choose the repository, the field stays very weird which look like some part on the Windows explorer.

2. Check-out works, but checkin not. It stays checkout. I looked at the table TCX_OBJECTS and number_of_locks stays 1 and not 0.

3. The vcs viewer is very slow, I never could use it (killed a hanging TOAD after 1hr). We have a git with about 4000 objects (both .Net and Oracle). With some logging on I see that TOAD for every file is checking the user, although it stays the same.

4. In the beta it is possible to adjust the folder names, nice feature. But the default now for package body is a folder name without underscore, at 12.8 it was 1 with an underscore, so TOAD make 2 new directories for a collection (same happens for type body). So for conversion it is better to have the underscore version as default

5. In the beta the option to set schema_owner before a filename is made adjustable. That is nice, but after unchecking, TOAD checks again all objects out and in, I think this should be an option. Now it looks like if everything has changed, but it is only the name. We made some reports based on the changes, and they went mad because of it )-;

So some thought on teamcoding. We are happy with it, no doubt about that :wink:

Herald ten Dam

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hi John,

thanks for the answers, now my remarks:

1. I went back to release 12.8. It remembers now the repository. The problem now however is that every checkout is not working because 12.8 needs the user in front of the name of the file, while I removed them in 12.9. There is coming an unique contraint on the primary key of tcx_objects. For my is the solution now to delete the record of the object in the table, and then perform the checkout. This works for me now better than that 12.9 doesn’t remember the repository and asking everytime.

2. I only remeber to see that checkin was succesfully and no errors, but I will look close tomorrow at work.

3. The Oracle sources are sitting in a subfolder known to TOAD because of the collection. So of the 4000 in total, about 400 of them are Oracle related. So maybe a starting can be from the collection side and not from the Git root. I will though have a look which Git I use on Windows, because I find also the initial login slow in Toad, it takes about 10s before the repository with user is shown. I think I got a older git window version.

4. ok

5. I told wrong. You are right, no checkout/checkin but the delete and insert in the Toad tables. The reports work on the Toad tables, I made for myself now a workaround by adjusting the datetimes, to our last really checkin so the reports worked again.

Thanks

Herald

Hi John,

I tested again a checkin/undo checkout. After both actions the object stays locked. I see no error in de log windows (vcs and toad). Toad windows tells that the object is checked in. I looked at the tables and in TCX_OBJECT_HISTORY there are new record for the actions. The only I can see now is that the column NUMBER_OF_LOCKS stays at 1 for this object. If I set it to 0, the lock is gone.

I see during such action 6 times the " git config user.name" coming by, there are 4 at the end of the action. Looks a bit too much too me.

A minor detail I found during the making of the reports is that the last_checkout_user/last_checkin_user in the table tcx_objects (and vc_user in tcx_object_history) have CR/LF at the end. I think it comes this way back from git, but it would be nice if TOAD could store them without :wink:

Herald

Hey Herald,

To answer your previous posts:

1. The new options in Toad 12.9 are not compatible with Toad 12.8 since Toad 12.8 hard-codes certain values. If you configure Team Coding in Toad 12.9 (to take advantage of the new options) and then switch back to Toad 12.8, you’re correct: you would need to delete the records in TCX_OBJECTS to prevent the violation of a unique constraint. You can accomplish the same thing by clicking on the “Clear Objects from Team Coding” (recycle bin) button on the Team Coding Administration page, however that might affect your reports.

2. I’m not sure why Team Coding is not removing the object locks. It is removing them in my copy of Toad 12.8. If you’re looking in the Schema Browser, did you refresh the dataset on the right-hand-side (RHS) after you checked in the object?

3. Unfortunately, all version control systems are treated the same way within Team Coding. The VCS Browser will always start at the root of the repository. It wouldn’t make sense to change the functionality only for Git. You mentioned that the initial login was slow as well. Is your local repository located on a network share perhaps, rather than a local drive?

4. I’m glad you were able to find a work-around for your reports.

-John

Also with your other post:

I see during such action 6 times the " git config user.name" coming by, there are 4 at the end of the action. Looks a bit too much too me.

You're not the first person to raise the "git config" issue. I'm doing a good bit of rewriting of the underlying code in Team Coding to improve its stability and performance. I'll put this on the list as well and see if I can implement a better way when I have some extra time.

A minor detail I found during the making of the reports is that the last_checkout_user/last_checkin_user in the table tcx_objects (and vc_user in tcx_object_history) have CR/LF at the end. I think it comes this way back from git, but it would be nice if TOAD could store them without :wink:

I'll add this to the list as well and see what I can do. :slight_smile:

-John

Hi John,

1. The problem I went back to 12.8 was because 12.9 didn’t remember the repository, so everytime I needed to set this. Is this fixed? If so, I will return to 12.9 and have less problems.

2. I did refresh but that doesn’t work. I spooled now the SQL and I see that the update on tcx_object_history will not make the CHECKOUT completed (stays N). So the count on non completed items is so bigger than 0, and that is why the number_of_locks stays on 1. I think the problem is the CR/LF in the VCS user. I did run the plsql block for the update and that didn’t update till I commented the vcs_user.

btw. I see with a checkin also a lot of the same statements comming by.

1. It is a virtual desktop I use, so you can be right that I have network storage. Maybe I put the Oracle stuff in a seperate repository, so I will not be affected by the other sources.

Herald

Hey Herald,

I’m wondering if your issues for Item #1 and item #2 are the same (CR/LF is returned in the username) since the main Git code hasn’t been changed between Toad 12.8 and Toad 12.9. I’ve just added a quick Trim function to the username for today’s beta. If you get a chance, feel free to give today’s beta a shot and see if that fixes the issues you’re seeing.

-John

Sent: Monday, January 11, 2016 2:12 AM
Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] TeamCoding/vcs

RE: TeamCoding/vcs

Reply by herald.ten.dam

Hi John,

1. The problem I went back to 12.8 was because 12.9 didn’t remember the repository, so everytime I needed to set this. Is this fixed? If so, I will return to 12.9 and have less problems.

2. I did refresh but that doesn’t work. I spooled now the SQL and I see that the update on tcx_object_history will not make the CHECKOUT completed (stays N). So the count on non completed items is so bigger than 0, and that is why the number_of_locks stays on 1. I think the problem is the CR/LF in the VCS user. I did run the plsql block for the update and that didn’t update till I commented the vcs_user.

btw. I see with a checkin also a lot of the same statements comming by.

1. It is a virtual desktop I use, so you can be right that I have network storage. Maybe I put the Oracle stuff in a seperate repository, so I will not be affected by the other sources.

Herald

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta notifications altogether.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Hi John,

got the beta (15) and checkin/checkout works after converting to the 12.9 version without using the schema name in front. Only thing I saw is that the default for package/type body is still with a space in it, so that was my 1th adjustement.

The problem stays with the 1th login. Toad even throws an exception:

Access violation at address 000000000419FCE9 in module toad.exe. Read of Address 0000000000000070. (sorry not allowed to send the elf file due to company policy, if you need something form it, I can always type here something from it ).

After that I get the Git Login but all fields empty (this works in 12.8). The field " Repository" looks weird with some of the data screen in it. If I select after browsing to the right directory for GIT, this repository field stays weird, but login works after that, and never asks again, so that is better now.

Another weird thing (and mentioned before on this forum), is that a change of windows in toad, changes to the Windows desktop and then back to Toad. So a lot of flashing on screen. Sometimes even the focus stays on the Windows desktop and we need to focus again on Toad.

Thanks and keeping now 12.9 :wink:

Herald

Hey Herald,

If you could paste the general error information and the call stack, that’d be great. I don’t think there’s a need to include the entire file.

Thanks,

-John

Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 4:12 AM

Reply by herald.ten.dam

Hi John,

got the beta (15) and checkin/checkout works after converting to the 12.9 version without using the schema name in front. Only thing I saw is that the default for package/type body is still with a space in it, so that was my 1th adjustement.

The problem stays with the 1th login. Toad even throws an exception:

Access violation at address 000000000419FCE9 in module toad.exe. Read of Address 0000000000000070. (sorry not allowed to send the elf file due to company policy, if you need something form it, I can always type here something from it ).

After that I get the Git Login but all fields empty (this works in 12.8). The field " Repository" looks weird with some of the data screen in it. If I select after browsing to the right directory for GIT, this repository field stays weird, but login works after that, and never asks again, so that is better now.

Another weird thing (and mentioned before on this forum), is that a change of windows in toad, changes to the Windows desktop and then back to Toad. So a lot of flashing on screen. Sometimes even the focus stays on the Windows desktop and we need to focus again on Toad.

Thanks and keeping now 12.9 :wink:

Herald

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hi John,

General error: Access violation at address 000000000419FCE9 in module toad.exe. Read of Address 0000000000000070

FormClass : TfrmTCStatusViewer

Control Class: TTreeView

Windows 7 build 7601

Call Stack (can’t paste):

00000000419FCE9 System _UstrClr

0000000075E96BA Gitcode TGit ExecuteCommand

0000000075EE09E Gitcode TGit ValidateGitRepository

0000000075E43AF GitLogin TfrmGitLogin LoadFormsDefaults

0000000075E50C0 GitLogin TfrmGitLogin FormCreate

It is a long list and copy cost time, but it is the login to vcs which gives the error. Looking at the stack it looks like a kind of setting which isn’t correct stored anymore.

btw. If I close TOAD now, it gives another exception: Access Violation at address 00000000088F4008 in module ’ Toad.exe’ . Read of address 00000000000000000F8. (no elf or stack trace here).

Herald

Hey Herald,

With the errors you’re getting, it almost sounds like something may have gotten corrupt in your user files. I would probably reset your user files (Utilities -> Copy User Settings -> Reset) and copy over your Git.ini file from the 12.8 AppData folder.

-John

Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2016 5:28 AM

Reply by herald.ten.dam

Hi John,

General error: Access violation at address 000000000419FCE9 in module toad.exe. Read of Address 0000000000000070

FormClass : TfrmTCStatusViewer

Control Class: TTreeView

Windows 7 build 7601

Call Stack (can’t paste):

00000000419FCE9 System _UstrClr

0000000075E96BA Gitcode TGit ExecuteCommand

0000000075EE09E Gitcode TGit ValidateGitRepository

0000000075E43AF GitLogin TfrmGitLogin LoadFormsDefaults

0000000075E50C0 GitLogin TfrmGitLogin FormCreate

It is a long list and copy cost time, but it is the login to vcs which gives the error. Looking at the stack it looks like a kind of setting which isn’t correct stored anymore.

btw. If I close TOAD now, it gives another exception: Access Violation at address 00000000088F4008 in module ’ Toad.exe’ . Read of address 00000000000000000F8. (no elf or stack trace here).

Herald

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hi John,

tried to reset, didn’t work. Even completely deleted the user files directory, didn’t work. The git.ini looks good, only I had in the 12.9 version duplicates for the git repository, but the 12.8 version on 12.9 also didn’t work. So now only initial I need to give the repository and can then work till I leave TOAD (still with the exception beforementioned).

What I did see is that TOAD keeps a lot of settings in the ini file belonging to the 1th version used. I started here clean with a TOAD 12.6, then a 12.8 and now 12.9 beta. But for example the toad.ini still points for the pl/sql templates to the 12.6 directory, and so are more.

Herald