12.9.0.28 ToadDebug slow (Debug=1)

I tried to enable TOAD debugging (Debug=1) in Toad.ini, hoping that it could help to analyze some problems, but TOAD seems to be getting slower and slower.

So I renamed my ToadDebug.txt to see if it depends on the file size, and I was surprised that the whole content reappeared.

Does TOAD always write the complete file instead of appending to it? Is there a reason for this?
Is there anything except for writing ToadDebug.txt file when Debug is enabled?

When debug=1, Toad writes massive amounts of information and that property shouldn't be used unless one of the devs or support asks for it. Ideally, the way to use it is to turn it on, do whatever steps break Toad, exit and the. It off. It's not meant to be a steaming dump of all things and will destroy performance.

On Feb 18, 2016, at 6:08 AM, Peter Lang bounce-PeterLang@toadworld.com wrote:

12.9.0.28 ToadDebug slow (Debug=1)

Thread created by Peter Lang
I tried to enable TOAD debugging (Debug=1) in Toad.ini, hoping that it could help to analyze some problems, but TOAD seems to be getting slower and slower.

So I renamed my ToadDebug.txt to see if it depends on the file size, and I was surprised that the whole content reappeared.

Does TOAD always write the complete file instead of appending to it? Is there a reason for this?

Is there anything except for writing ToadDebug.txt file when Debug is enabled?

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Sure, but sometimes it’s not that easy to reproduce the problems, so I tried that option :wink:

But if it really writes the whole file for every new line of debug, then this might be the main reason why it destroys performance.

There are a LOT of places in the code where we capture information and write it. It’s a soul sucking beast but it gets quite a bit of useful information. More like a chainsaw instead of a scalpel.

Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2016 8:48 AM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] 12.9.0.28 ToadDebug slow (Debug=1)

RE: 12.9.0.28 ToadDebug slow (Debug=1)

Reply by Peter Lang

Sure, but sometimes it’s not that easy to reproduce the problems, so I tried that option :wink:

But if it really writes the whole file for every new line of debug, then this might be the main reason why it destroys performance.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

If we don't write the file and your bug causes Toad to crash then we've lost the debug info. :slight_smile:

On 02/18/2016 08:48 AM, Peter Lang wrote:

Reply by Peter Lang
Sure, but sometimes it's not that easy to reproduce the problems, so I tried that option :wink:

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

I’m not talking about not writing the file, I was wondering if you rewrite the entire file with every log message or just append to the existing file which could reduce the soul sucking :smiley:

I was hoping to get some information from the debug infos about this issue:
www.toadworld.com/…/27382

I see, yeah we are rewriting the entire thing. We are loading the contents into a list of strings and working with it throughout Toad. I don't see why we need to work in this way so I'll look at appending only. It's faster and easier (and lazy) the way it is now, but not optimal.

On 02/18/2016 09:55 AM, Peter Lang wrote:

Reply by Peter Lang
I'm not talking about not writing the file, I was wondering if you rewrite the entire file with every log message or just append to the existing file which could reduce the soul sucking :smiley:

I was hoping to get some information from the debug infos about this issue:

www.toadworld.com/.../27382

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Next beta it’ll use straight file access with append. It should be considerably faster.

After replying I stumbled upon a better way to write log files. The first beta of next week should have almost no slowdown because of log file access.

Now that’s the performance I would have expected from writing some log - no more soul sucking :wink: