[17.0.18] describe fails with PUBLIC synonym does not exist

Database: 19.0.16

Logged into a PDB as SYS. Highlight a table or view, in this case UNIFIED_AUDIT_TRAIL and hit F4 and get the pop-up error "Synonym PUBLIC.UNIFIED_AUDIT_TRAIL does not exist. This also occurs when running "desc UNIFIED_AUDIT_TRAIL;" from an editor window.

However, Oracle has no trouble running "select count(*) from unified_audit_trail;" without qualifying the owner (AUDSYS) with the object name.

This was a problem with the 16.3 beta's as well, however I do remember it working in previous releases.

Thanks Doug. I'm about to stop for the day but I'll check this out tomorrow.

I think someone has been messing with the synonyms on your database.

Hi John,

Please query all_synonyms to see if there is a public synonym for UNIFIED_AUDIT_TRAIL in your PDB. There does not appear to be one in any of our PDBs.

SQL> select owner, object_name, object_type, status, sharing from dba_objects where object_name = 'UNIFIED_AUDIT_TRAIL'

OWNER      OBJECT_NAME                    OBJECT_TYPE      STATUS  SHARING         
---------- ------------------------------ ---------------- ------- ----------------
PUBLIC     UNIFIED_AUDIT_TRAIL            SYNONYM          VALID   METADATA LINK
AUDSYS     UNIFIED_AUDIT_TRAIL            VIEW             VALID   METADATA LINK

2 rows selected.

SQL> select * from all_synonyms where table_name = 'UNIFIED_AUDIT_TRAIL'
no rows selected.

Hi Doug -
It's there for me

Will be opening an SR for this issue. Thanks for the sanity check!