30 stupid and less stupid suggestions

Hi again. I’m still enjoing this great piece of code and I’m still really happy with my TDM. Especially the Beta Version, in my opinion, is going in a very promising direction.

Here are 30 suggestions I collected while my daily work with TDM.

I hope some of them can be of some interest.

1. In Options/Icons theme drop down menu should not be editable (there’s no need; if you edit it with a wrong selectin and save it, the setting is lost)

2. Directory dialogs (like in Options/Paths) don’t allow to past a path. Why don’t you use an ordinary dialog? Developers don’t like to use the mouse and they usually prefere typing things.

3. Default “Defaut file name for HTML reports” should be index, as it is a de-facto standard and because most web servers expects index.html. It can be edited, of course: but IMHO, “default.html” is somethin very “old-fashioned”

4. A click on Options/TOAD for Oracle Integration fires an error.

5. Options/Application is the only menu item which doesn’t show the blue header in the Option window.

6. In TDM, function key F2 is “rename” almost everywhere. IMHO, typeing F2 having an entity selected should rename the entity itself

7. Buttons “OK” and “Cancel” in entities delete confirmation dialog have no shortcuts (the standard is O_k and C_ancel): it would be confortable for those users used to type alt+O and alt+C instead of using the mouse or the TAB button (who have to type type Down-Down-TAB-TAB-Enter which is a bit annoying)

8. Add an option in Options/Logical model to "Set default option in delete confirmation dialog to “Delete in the Model” or “Remove only graphical”. In alternative, let TDM remember the last selection (to be honest I use “Delete in the model”, which is not pre-selected, in 90% of the cases, so everytime I have to type Down-Down-TAB-TAB-Enter (or use the mouse, which is a bit annoying)

9. I once wrote you a little suggestion about Overview: sorry if I repeat myself, but after all these months I still don’t understand why Overview panel is something detached from the current Workspace. Overview is meant to be a sort of “zoomed-out-preview” of the Workspace. Let’s suppose you are working on a very big model: to have an overview, you can activate Overview panel. That’s great. Now, let’s suppose you move to another Model (or another Workspace, as well). The old Overview panel is still there: you have to open another overview panel with the result that you have now two Ovierview panels: the old one is completely useless; no matter what you do with it, no changes are made in the Workspace (of course, because it’ not the active one). My proposal: you should have just one Overview and it should be dynamically linked to the current Workspace. I mean, TDM’s Overview panel should work exactly as the Preview panel in Photoshop.

10. Model design could be more elegant with relations lines solid and not dashed.

11. In Workspace Contextual menu there are two options: “Straight all lines” and “Change lines to right angled”. They cannot be both selected, as they are mutual. IMHO it could be clearer a single item with a single check sign (exactly like Notation/IDF1x and Notation/IE)

12. ctrl+f4 could close the Workspace (is almost a standard)

13. I personally don’t like the red “Close” icon: well, to be honest, I don’t love too much when a software adopts a non-standard GUI element if there is not a particular need for that. Why don’t you use a stardard icon?

14. Overview can’t be docked

15. Overview displays the name of the Workspace but not the name of the Model (what if I have 2 Workspaces with the same name in different Models?) Anyway, it could be solved (and in a much more cleare way, with the suggestion 9)

16. Entity properties: If you click on the Primarykey icon to add a new Attribute the you click on Keys tab, the Attribute has not been added. If you save and reopen the Entity, the Attribute is properly added. Sometimes adding keys with this system results in duplicate attributes

17. Function key F11 may be used to toggle Full page view (To hide and show everything but Workspace)

18. A keybord shortcut (I suggest ctrl+click) could be uset to Move/Pan Workspace (instead of Select Move => Pan => type [ESC]: it would be faster!)

19. DDL script generation: add an option to generate only Selected Items in the current Workspace (that is: I select one or more items, I click on Generate DDL, I select “Generate only selected” instead of “Generate by property ‘Generate’”

20. DDL script generation: add an option to generate All Items in the current Workspace (that is: I’m working on a Workspace with only Views [I usually select one or more items, I click on Generate DDL, I select “Generate only selected” instead of “Generate by property ‘Generate’”

21. I noticed ctrl+mouse wheel does a zoom-in and a zoom+out. It’s great. Just add a keyboard shortcut (like ctrl + and ctrl -)

22. There’s an option I never seen in any program but I always believed it would be simple and useful: in every program I know, zoom+in zooms following the center of the screen. If I’m zooming using the mouse wheel, I probably want to zoom the object my pointer is pointing: most of the time, I have to zoom then pan the screen to find my object; my suggestion is: zoom following the mouse.

23. Again with the zoom: sorry if I repeat myself, but I really believe zoom-in and zoom-out buttons in TDM should immediately zoom-in and zoom-out. Having a zoom-in tool is completely useless, because I usually zoom when I’m working with other tools and because I usually just zoom few steps.
    At the moment, zooming with those 2 buttons is: 1. Click on zoom-in/on button 2. Go to the workspace and click to zoom 3. Go back to the tools and choose again your tool. My suggestion is: when the user click on zoom-in, just zoom-in! It’s much simpler

24. Look docked element: you can resize them using their vertical splitter. Strangely, not all the splitter can be used: the very central part is inactive. So weird!

25. Workspaces are different spaces in a Model: switching between Workspaces of the same Model is as common as switching between different Models.
    ctrl-tab and ctrl-shift-tab swicth to the next and previous model but there’s no shortcut to switch between Workspaces. Add similar shortcuts to switch between Workspaces in a Model.

26. In MySQL there can be just one autoincrement field, and it is a primarykey. Hence, when I set “Autoincrement” to a field, it should be automatically set as primary key

27. When I open an entity, the second tab is selected, but I always have to select the first one, because I must choose a name for it. To me, the most logical choise is having the first tab selected (or, at least, the last opened one in the previous entity?)

28. When you edit a field in an entity you can choose between Datatypes and Used Defined Datatypes (the one TDM calls Domains). I like so much they are separated in two different menus! If can as well choose a field’s datatime directely in the entity, using F2: in that case, however, there’s no distinction between standard datatypes and domains. My suggestion is: use a bold type for Domains (suffix their names with a *)

29. The datatypes list in 28) is really too short (just 8 items): developers have at least 1024x768 screens, use as much space as you can! The more items you see at a time, the more confortable the editing is

30. “Display line names” should be “Display relationship names”: “line” is a bit generic and not about databases

Have a nice day!

Hello Arialdo,

Thanks SO MUCH for your feedback!

We have gone through all your remarks, here are our replies.

1. Thank you for your bug notification! We will fix it. CR # 53 944.

2. We are not exactly sure what dialog you mean. I select Options | Paths and can paste a path to the box. If I click the icon on the right, the Browse for Folder dialog will open. Do you mean this dialog. Nevertheless, this dialog is a standard dialog offered by delphi.

3. Thank you for your suggestion. We will consider it. CR # 53 947.

4. Yes, it is because you don’t have Toad for Oracle installed.

5. I’ve checked it in upcoming full version and the blue header is displayed properly. So, the problem seems to be solved.

6. Good suggestion. Thanks. We will deal with it. CR # 53 948.
    For now, please select the entity, press CTRL and double-click the entity name.
    You can rename attributes the same way.

7. Thanks for your suggestion! We will consider it. CR # 53 949.

8. There is a default option to select which Delete option you want to set for both your model types - physical and logical. Please see Options | Dialog Boxes | Other tab.

Let me quote the Help file.

Delete options in Designer:

Display Dialog - Whenever you press Delete or SHIFT + Delete in your ER diagram, the Delete Confirmation Dialog will pop up and you will be able to select what action you like to perform in particular case.

Remove Graphical Representative of Object - If this option is selected, the Delete will always remove selected shortcut(s) of object from particular Workspace. SHIFT + Delete will have to be used to completely delete an object from your model.

Delete Object - If this option is selected, the Delete will completely delete selected object(s) from your model, including all the object shortcuts. There is no option to only remove selected shortcut(s) of object. (The Delete will replace SHIFT + Delete.)

9 + 14) Yes, this request is registered under CR # 48 784. I’ve added your comments there.
Unfortunately, there are technical obstacles. We need to discuss it in our team. Thanks for your patience.

1. Do we understand well that you don’t like dashed lines? Well, it depends on notation, dashed lines represent non-identifying relationship lines. Could you please let us know about another notation where it is different? Any reference will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Straight All Lines and Change Lines to Right Angled are one-shot commands. Please see the difference: Open your WS Format dialog and select Right Angled Lines checkbox, confirm. Now see the context WS menu - the Straight All Lines option is disabled. -> In right-angled mode, you cannot straight the existing lines. But now try to clear the Right Angled Lines checkbox and see the WS context menu again. -> Both options are available. In Straight mode, you can add break points to the lines, straight them or change them to right-angled.
    Detailed information is available in the tutorial at:
    http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=1941&categoryID=159

Some extracts of the document is available in the weblog:
http://blogs.inside.quest.com/modeling/2008/05/21/tips-on-managing-relationship-lines-in-workspace-part-i/

1. Thanks! We will deal with it. CR # 53 950.

2. What standard do you mean? We are not sure what exactly the standard is, please see Firefox, IE etc.

3. We will deal with it. CR # 53 951.

4. Unfortunately, I don’t understand. Could you please write me the steps you take?

This part makes me confused - “Sometimes adding keys with this system results in duplicate attributes.”

What I do:

1. I add several new attributes in the Entity form.
  2. I have to confirm Apply, otherwise I cannot add PK to any attribute.
  3. I confirm Apply and then double-click the PK column next to the selected attribute.
  4. Again, I have to confirm it to see the attribute in the Keys tab.
  5. I check out the Keys tab and the PK Properties dialog - the attribute is listed there.
  1. Thanks! CR # 53 952.

2. For faster move, please use the middle button on your mouse.
    GUI enhancements in version 3.2 are shown in this movie:
    http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=2060&categoryID=158

19 + 20) Significant improvements in Script Generation dialog are planned. CR # 36 513. Thanks for your patience.

1. Keyboard shortcuts (like ctrl + and ctrl -) for zoom in and out added.
    See the movie on GUI changes.

2. This is available in TDM. Simply click the object in WS and press CTRL +.

3. Yes, we solved the problem via the other zoom options.
    Quick summary (taken from the Help file):

Navigation on Workspace

CTRL + scroll mouse to zoom in/zoom out.
CTRL +, CTRL + Page Up to zoom in,
CTRL -, CTRL + Page Down to zoom out.
Scroll mouse to move up/down in Workspace.
SHIFT + scroll mouse to move to the right/left in Workspace.
Holding down the middle button to move in entire page/Workspace.

Other tips:
Possibility to move shapes in Workspaces using the keyboard arrows.
Possibility to resize shapes of objects in Workspace: SHIFT + keyboard arrows.

1. I’m not sure if I understand, in any case, in the latest version, splitter for Model Explorer is available. Now you can hide panes via the vertical and horizontal splitters.

2. Thanks for your suggestion. CR # 53 954.

3. Forwarded to our MySQL experts. :wink: They will discuss it. CR # 53 957.

4. TDM remembers the changed settings and all other changes in dialogs, as well as the tab selected as last. So, before you close the TDM dialog, I suggest to click the General tab and then close it. Also, feel free to use the Object navigator box to select another entity to define its properties. (In other words, you don’t have to close the Entity dialog. And as the dialogs in TDM are modeless, you don’t have to close it even when you need to add another entity. :wink: )

5. Thanks very much for this good suggestion! We will deal with it. CR # 53 955.

6. Thanks for your remark. Again, it’s a default setting.

7. Let me explain there is a reason why the option is called Display Line Names. This option refers not only to relationship lines but also to lines of inheritances in LER model and associations in metamodel.

Arialdo, thank you once again for your great suggestions and remarks. Still there’s much we can improve to make your work with TDM more comfortable. We do care.

Please do not hesitate to write us again.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

Hello Arialdo,

Just a quick note to this request of yours:
26. In MySQL there can be just one autoincrement field, and it is a primarykey. Hence, when I set “Autoincrement” to a field, it should be automatically set as primary key.

Our MySQL experts say: Autoincrement does not have to be PK. BUT it must be indexed.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

About MySQL, AUTO_INCREMENT and primary keys:

you are right, my fault.
AUTO_INCREMENT fields must be keys, not specifically primary keys. Sorry

2)We are not exactly sure what dialog you mean. I select Options | Pathsand can
paste a path to the box. If I click the icon on the right, theBrowse for Folder dialog
will open. Do you mean this dialog.Nevertheless, this dialog is a standard dialog
offered by delphi.

yes, exactly. Strangely, I'm obtaining this dialog:

http://www.bebox.it/public/tdm/toad1.jpg

For now, please select the entity, press CTRL and double-click the entity name.

You can rename attributes the same way.

Great! I didn't know! Thanks

8)There is a default option to select which Delete option you want to setfor both
your model types - physical and logical. Please see Options |Dialog Boxes | Other >tab.

My fault again. I should study TDM better before talking :wink:

9 + 14) Yes, this request is registered under CR # 48 784. I've added your >comments there.

Unfortunately, there are technical obstacles. We need to discuss it in our team.

Thanks for your patience.

Are you joking? Thank you.

10)Do we understand well that you don't like dashed lines? Well, itdepends on notation, dashed lines represent non-identifyingrelationship lines.

My big big fault. I didn't know about that notation. Really sorry. Shame on me. That's what happens to people who studied database as self taught.

1. What standard do you mean? We are not sure what exactly the standard is, please see Firefox, IE etc.

You are right.

Really, it was one of the "stupid" suggestions :smiley:

I meant the stadard Windows close x icon. Don't mind, pretend I never wrote that suggestion :wink:

1. Unfortunately, I don't understand. Could you please write me the steps you take?

I think I understand what's happening: when you declare a field as primary key double clicking on the "key" column, key is phisically added only when you save. I'm making some tests, I'll eventually tell you later.

1. For faster move, please use the middle button on your mouse.
    GUI enhancements in version 3.2 are shown in this movie:
    >http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=2060&categoryID=158

Yep. I don't want to appear as the most annoying user, so please, feel free to ignore the requests you think too much specific: I mean, they are not requests, they are just suggestions :wink:

The 18) was intended for all the people who don't use/have mouse wheel (I'm working with a Wacom Intuos; some other works with a Laptop touch pad; some others don't have a middle button at all).

May be my suggestions come from the fact I'm a big keyboard shortcuts lover :slight_smile:

thank for the movie link, I'm going to watch it carefully

1. Keyboard shortcuts (like ctrl + and ctrl -) for zoom in and out added.

Great! I love them

1. This is available in TDM. Simply click the object in WS and press CTRL +.

Doh! This is fantastic

Well done, guys.

1. Yes, we solved the problem via the other zoom options.

Great!

1. Forwarded to our MySQL experts. They will discuss it. CR # 53 957.

My fault, as I wrote. Now I know :wink:

1. Thanks for your remark. Again, it's a default setting.

I am not sure, as I quit developing in Delphi years ago, but may be the number of items of a TComboBox is controlled by DropDownCount?

30)Let me explain there is a reason why the option is called Display LineNames.

This option refers not only to relationship lines but also tolines of inheritances in

LER model and associations in metamodel.

Again, sorry. I think I should study DB much better :slight_smile:

Arialdo,thank you once again for your great suggestions and remarks. Stillthere's

much we can improve to make your work with TDM morecomfortable. We do care.

You can say that. You really care.

And sorry again for all the idiot and false suggestion I gave. The next time I'll try to be much more accurate.

Hello Arialdo,

AD 2) Yes, I have the same window. See the attached screenshot. This dialog is a standard dialog offered by delphi.

And sorry again for all the idiot and false suggestion I gave.

What are you talking about? I can't see any idiot or false suggestions! It's fantastic you spent so much time writing us and giving us so many remarks on TDM!! We appreciate it very much!
BTW, you made me create ten change requests we will deal with (besides a bug also many great suggestions) and it's not few... :wink: You got fifty points from our developers as a reward. :slight_smile:

In any case, there's definitely NO reason to excuse. I understand that you cannot test all Betas and new features, watch new movies, read updated docs etc. And this is why the community and we - community moderators - are here. We are pleased and ready to help, reply, explain, point you to some direction, source of information etc. Ask us any questions, suggest whatever comes to your mind. It's great to see the community is helpful and alive.

Thanks for your great co-operation!

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

Oops, I've forgotten to attach the screenshot... :slight_smile:

Here it is.

Regards,

Vladka

Hello Arialdo,

Just a quick update on the issue of Mysql and autoincrement.

1. Autoincrement does not have to be PK. BUT it must be indexed.
    CR # 53 957.

Please find attached a script that will create indexes for all autoincrement columns in MySQL model. We know you wanted PKs, but, unfortunately, this is not possible at the moment.

Execute the script in Scripting window (Tools menu, Expert mode on). Take notice of this part in the script:
var Model = app.Models.GetObject(0);
//The parameter in GetObject determines here with which model the script should work.
//0 is the first model listed in the Application View.
//1 is the second model listed in the Application View
//etc.

Note: I will publish the script in the Library, Scripts section too.

Regards,

Vladka
CreateIndexAutoincrement_MySQL.zip (830 Bytes)

Hi,
Just a quick update: 9 + 15. Overview displays the name of the Workspace but not the name of the Model (what if I have 2 Workspaces with the same name in different Models?) Anyway, it could be solved (and in a much more cleare way, with the suggestion 9).

Solved in TDM. 3.5.10.
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=3963&categoryID=158

Regards,

Vladka

*27) TDM remembers the changed settings and all other changes in dialogs,as well as the tab selected as last. So, before you close the TDM dialog, I suggest to click the General tab and then close it. Also, feelfree to use the Object navigator box to select another entity to defineits properties. (In other words, you don’t have to close the Entity dialog. And as the dialogs in TDM are modeless, you don’t have to close it even when you need to add another entity. ;) )
To be honest I also found it very annoying. When project begins, you have to do additinal click when adding any new entity. If selected tab must be remembered, it should be done for every single item.
Please consider to change this behaviour making work with TDM more fluent.

Message was edited by: kozusznik.michal_859

Hello Michal,

We can understand your point. However, there can be other use cases.
For example, a user wants to add comments to several entities. He just edits an entity on the WS, clicks the Comments tab, enters comments and selects another entity from the Object Navigator box above, enters comments etc.
Later he decides to add permissions etc.
If he selected another entity and it always opened on tab General, it would be him who would have to do the additional click.
So, it is just a different approach.

Most users prefer the way it is now. We aren’t going to change it.

In any case, thanks for your opinion.

Regards,

Vladka