Toad Data Modeler Installation

I was very excited when I was notified of the TDM 5 release. I have been using the Beta almost exclusively as it has proven to be much better that the 4.3.3.6 release.

The TDM 5 installation included a dialog asking me if I wanted to essentially use the settings from the previous installation or install as a new installation. I chose to use the previous installation.

I was VERY dissapointed to find that even using the previous installation all the paths are still pointing at a redirected network drive instead of the local machine which is my preference. The installation should definitely allow the user to specify the location for all folders as this is a really big job to fix after the installation. Makes me wonder what the dialog really was refering to. There are 18 different path specifications plus unique version specific folders in some cases to deal with. A network redirected path can have a huge impact on performance of the product.

The very next day following installation I am still getting the error for accessing the OLE registry unless I “run as administrator”

As eager as I am to move to the new version 5 it is really disappointing that it will take a few hours worth of work following the installation to actually have a usable installation.

When the dialog offered to use the information from my previous install I was anticipating being up and running with all the models, local version manager, paths, etc. set up.

Alan

Question – when you did the install did you select the customize installation options button on the right hand side and choose TDM to set/set some values it
uses ???

Bert Scalzo

Engr Tech Principal Engineer

Dell | Information Management

office
+1 469 888 5302

fax
+1 949 754 8999

cell+1 469 693 3300

Quest Software is now part of Dell

From: alan.campbell_390 [mailto:bounce-alancampbell_390@toadworld.com]

Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 10:37 AM

To: tdm@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad Data Modeler - Discussion Forum] Toad Data Modeler Installation

I was very excited when I was notified of the TDM 5 release. I have been using the Beta almost exclusively as it has proven to be much better that the 4.3.3.6 release.

The TDM 5 installation included a dialog asking me if I wanted to essentially use the settings from the previous installation or install as a new installation. I chose to use the previous installation.

I was VERY dissapointed to find that even using the previous installation all the paths are still pointing at a redirected network drive instead of the local machine which is my preference.
The installation should definitely allow the user to specify the location for all folders as this is a really big job to fix after the installation. Makes me wonder what the dialog really was refering to. There are 18 different path specifications plus unique
version specific folders in some cases to deal with. A network redirected path can have a huge impact on performance of the product.

The very next day following installation I am still getting the error for accessing the OLE registry unless I “run as administrator”

As eager as I am to move to the new version 5 it is really disappointing that it will take a few hours worth of work following the installation to actually have a usable installation.

When the dialog offered to use the information from my previous install I was anticipating being up and running with all the models, local version manager, paths, etc. set up.

Alan

I have uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times now and I still don’t see the button to which you are referring.

I captured 6 screen shots of the install which I will attach.

Thanks,

AlanTDM_Ver5_Install_1.png

TDM_Ver5_Install_2.png

TDM_Ver5_Install_3.png

TDM_Ver5_Install_4.png

Note that the third option to use the uninstalled version 5 configuration did not exist during the first install.

TDM_Ver5_Install_5.png

TDM_Ver5_Install_6.png

Hello Alan,

thank you for your feedback. After the installation, when Toad Data Modeler is started for the first time, the First Run window opens. The form allows you to load settings from uninstalled Toad Data Modeler commercial versions, but not the BETA version.

There were and still are requirements to install multiple commercial versions side-by-side, plus use one BETA version in different folder (beta versions cannot be used side-by-side).

This all brings some technical difficulties. Together with the aim to properly follow majority of standards defined by Microsoft (there is a reason why all the following system defined folders exist: Users, AppData, MyDocuments, Program Files… ) and in combination with network redirected folders the matter becomes more complicated than simple full installation to C:/ToadDataModeler folder.

We can improve Toad Data Modeler and the fastest possible method would be in adding some Export/Import Settings feature. I created new change request, CR#110168.

Additional info: the paths are stored in Application.txc file. Default path:

C:\Users{USERNAME}\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad Data Modeler Beta\Configs\Application.txc

The file has XML structure and it should not be difficult task to open two TXC files and copy values from one file to another. I know it is not absolutely user friendly approach, but I see it as a workaround, until we add the Settings Export/Import feature to TDM.

Thank you again,