Adding a relationship shortcut

For the record, please let me begin by stating how frustrating is to work with Toad Modeler 3.0(.13.175). I spent at least 3 hours trying to move 10 tables from one model to another. I believe I stumbled every fricking little detail that doesn’t work properly. Data Type Conversion settings don’t seem to be effective and the convertor dialog crashes when I try to move the entities. Plus in the convertor dialog there is no way to select multiple items and set them at once so I almost had a seizure clicking on so many items. I ended up doing everything in 2.25 and then importing the model in 3.0.

Did they keep the same programmers after they bought Case Studio, because it doesn’t look like it!!!

Now, enough rant, how do I add a shortcut to a relationship in a physical model within the same workspace? I’ve been able to add a shortcut to a table but now I also want to display a relationship to that shortcut. I am breaking my workspace in smaller sections and I want each section to have a its own little world.

Thanks!

Hello,

Thanks very much for your feedback. Let me reply to your questions.

CS2 (TDM2) and TDM3
I'm very sorry to hear that working with TDM3 is so frustrating for you.
Yes, comparing TDM2 and TDM3, TDM3 can seem to be more complicated. However, the fact is that TDM3 is a completely different tool. It is not a kind of advanced or extended TDM2.
TDM3 is a new modeling tool written from scratch. It has a new interface and offers new great functions and features that are not available in TDM2.
I'm sure that as soon as you learn more about them, you will get used to using them very quickly. (See e.g. inplace editor, modeless dialogs, object navigator box, options in Model Explorer etc.)

To make the change from TDM2 to TDM3 for TDM2 users easier, we have written detailed Help and Manual (see the Help menu), made a lot of flash movies and launched this community where you can get advice and replies. We are here for you to help you in case of any trouble you might have with TDM3.
Flash movies section:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/kbcategory.jspa?categoryID=116

Now, to your problems:

I spent at least 3 hours trying to move 10 tables from one model to another.
You can select tables in WS via your mouse, or using the SHIFT key.
Simple CTRL+X, CTRL+V between models should work properly.
Also, feel free to make multiple selection of tables in Model Explorer and direct drag and drop of them to WS of another model.
(TDM3 also allows you to open workspaces of several models at one time.)
Sources of info: Have a look a the Help file | Index tab and type "select" - see the Select Objects topic. Then type "entity" and see topic Moving Entities.

Flash movie on how to copy and move entities:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=1152&categoryID=158

Convertor
Yes, you're right, Convertor needs to be improved. E.g. As you write, there is no way to select multiple items. In current Beta 3.1.6 (and in future 3.1.5 official release of TDM3), some improvements in Convertor has already been made.
Nevertheless, Convertor is a place where you can perform more actions (generate alter script, merge, convert) and moreover "in two directions" at the same time (e.g. alter script generation for Model1 and Model2 at one jump.) Now we can see, it's not as good as we expected. Therefore, some significant changes are planned for the Convertor. There will be separate dialogs or wizards for the particular actions in the future.

Anyway, to better understand how the Convertor works, see the documentation again or watch updated flash movies at:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/kbcategory.jspa?categoryID=273
See the 'Convertor' and 'Alter Script Generation' and possibly the 'OTPs' flash movies.

how do I add a shortcut to a relationship in a physical model within the same workspace?

1. Right-click the WS and select Complete from Model.
  2. In the dialog, enable only the Links button. - Only relationships that you can add to the WS will be displayed.
  3. Select particular relationship.

This is described in detail in the Manual. - Again, click the Index tab for quick search in the documenation, and type "shortcut", click the Shortcuts item and select the Using Shortcuts topic.

You can see this "in action" also in this movie:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=693&categoryID=30
(Note on the movie - it's an older movie, however clearly shows how to manage shortcuts. There's one change in current TDM version - to delete a shortcut, SHIFT +Del should be used.)

Well, I hope you will appreciate this information. In any case, our team is here for you and ready to answer your questions. Just ask.
I'm sure that you will change your mind on TDM3 as soon as you start using it a bit more.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

Thanks for your answer, Vladka.

One thing that I found very annoying is the fact that the menu and toolbar change (buttons disappear from the toolbar) when the main section (the boiler plate for entities, table etc.) loses focus.

If I have more suggestions or I want to report a bug where should I do it? Should I email support@quest.com?

Hello,

..fact that the menu and toolbar change..

Yes, this is how TDM3 behaves. When you work in particular WS or another dialog (e.g. Version Manager), appropriate menu items and options are available.
Let's say you work in several Workspaces at one time (e.g. in Oracle model and SQL Server model). You have the Designers of the Workspaces undocked. -> You need to focus the WS otherwise TDM3 wouldn't know which WS owns the toolbar. Please see the attached screenshot.

If I have more suggestions or I want to report a bug where should I do it? Should I email support@quest.com?
You can choose. Either contact the support team or write us your suggestions/bug reports here.

Regards,

Vladka
WS_Toolbars.pdf (123 KB)

Yes, this is how TDM3 behaves. When you work in particular WS oranother dialog (e.g. Version Manager), appropriate menu items andoptions are available.

I understand that, what I am saying the changes in the toolbar are major. I've never seen a single application changing so drastically the toolbar as you change the focus to from one section of the app to another. Initially I thought it was a bug in the UI. It is a very unsettling behaviour. I think it is better to disable the toolbars rather than hide them.

Hi Costa,

Thanks for your opinion. We will consider it. CR # 47 004.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

Quick update>
New location of the movie where adding a relationship shortcut is shown:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=1669&categoryID=158

Vladka