64 Bit Toad and 32 Bit Access

Of course the company I work for is in panic about moving to Window 7 from XP. We loaded 64 bit Toad (12.1.0.22) onto a Win7 computer. We get the following error trying to export to Access: “Could not load the Microsoft Access Database Engine. This is not the full Microsoft Access product, just the redistributable engine. It must be the same bit version (32 or 64) as Toad.” Exporting to Excel works fine. We are looking into getting the 64 bit redistributable engine. If we have to go back to 32 bit Toad, what Toad limitations are we facing under Win7? Is there a Blog or paper discussing this issue? If so, where is it located?

Thanks,
Dave

Of course as soon as I hit post, I noticed the title should be 32 Bit Access.

John:

We tried the suggested workaround, but got the same error.

Dave

Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 9:23 AM
To: toadoracle@toadworld.com
Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] 64 Bit Toad and 32 Bit Excel

RE: 64 Bit Toad and 32 Bit Excel

Reply by John Dorlon

<!--[if !mso]><!--[if gte mso 9]><!--[if gte mso 9]> This was recently discovered and it is fixed in beta. As a workaround, if you export with the .accdb extension instead of .mdb, it will work. **From:** reedda [mailto:bounce-reedda@toadworld.com] **Sent:** Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:11 AM **To:** toadoracle@toadworld.com **Subject:** [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] 64 Bit Toad and 32 Bit Excel **[64 Bit Toad and 32 Bit Excel](http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/f/10/t/21214.aspx)** Thread created by reedda Of course the company I work for is in panic about moving to Window 7 from XP. We loaded 64 bit Toad (12.1.0.22) onto a Win7 computer. We get the following error trying to export to Access: "Could not load the Microsoft Access Database Engine. This is not the full Microsoft Access product, just the redistributable engine. It must be the same bit version (32 or 64) as Toad." Exporting to Excel works fine. We are looking into getting the 64 bit redistributable engine. If we have to go back to 32 bit Toad, what Toad limitations are we facing under Win7? Is there a Blog or paper discussing this issue? If so, where is it located? Thanks, Dave To reply, please reply-all to this email. [Stop receiving emails](http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/f/10/t/21214.aspx?subscribe=false) on this subject. Or [Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General](http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/f/10.aspx?subscribe=false) notifications altogether. Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum [Flag](http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/f/10/t/21214.aspx?AbuseContentId=9968ceb8-26e7-469b-9083-3e7188cc174f&AbuseContentTypeId=46448885-d0e6-4133-bbfb-f0cd7b0fd6f7&AbuseFlag=true) this post as spam/abuse. To reply, please reply-all to this email. [Stop receiving emails](http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/f/10/t/21214.aspx?subscribe=false) on this subject. Or [Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General](http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/f/10.aspx?subscribe=false) notifications altogether. Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum [Flag](http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/f/10/p/21214/44091.aspx?AbuseContentId=2db5f7df-c230-4b9f-9cc6-db2bdb7bcae8&AbuseContentTypeId=f586769b-0822-468a-b7f3-a94d480ed9b0&AbuseFlag=true) this post as spam/abuse.

Oh, sorry - I misunderstood your question. Yes, the bitness of Access must match the bitness of Toad for this to work. I guess you have the 32 bit version of MS Office installed. I can’t remember for sure if you can have the 64 bit ms access database installed along side the 32 bit ms office. I think you can’t but maybe I am remembering this wrong.

In any case, to answer your question - It’s fine to run 32 bit Toad in 64 bit windows. The only time you might run into problems is when you try to pull so much data into your grids that Toad’s memory usage approaches 2Gb.

Just make sure that if you decide to run 32-bit toad on windows 64-bit that you use the 32-bit oracle client. See my blogs on this :slight_smile:

www.toadworld.com/…/running-toad-for-oracle-in-a-64-bit-environment-updated.aspx

Bert:

Just what I needed along with John’s comment. IT installed both 32bit and 64bit clients (c:\Oracle_x64 and c:\Oracle_x32). Our ORACLE_HOME in the registry uses the 64bit path. So a 64bit client maps to 64bit Toad. (We really don’t want to change the installation process. We have enough issues.) If an Access file is needed, we will use Excel as an intermediate step.

If for some reason we have to go to the 32bit client, would we just have to change the registry?

Thanks,

Dave

From: Bert Scalzo [mailto:bounce-Bert_Scalzo@toadworld.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:22 AM

Reply by Bert Scalzo

Just make sure that if you decide to run 32-bit toad on windows 64-bit that you use the 32-bit oracle client. See my blogs on this :slight_smile:

www.toadworld.com/…/running-toad-for-oracle-in-a-64-bit-environment-updated.aspx

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.
Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General notifications altogether.
Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

If for some reason we have to go to the 32bit client, would we just have to change the registry?

No. Toad will detect the clients that match its bitness and ignore the ones that don't.

John:

Does Toad then update ORACLE_HOME and other keys in the registry appropriately?

Dave

Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 12:02 PM

Reply by John Dorlon

No. Toad will detect the clients that match its bitness and ignore the ones that don't.

No, it doesn’t need to. It just uses whichever Oracle home is selected on the login screen – and it will be auto-selected if there is only one of the same bitness as Toad.

Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:29 PM

Reply by reedda

<!--[if !mso]><!--[if gte mso 9]> If for some reason we have to go to the 32bit client, would we just have to change the registry? No. Toad will detect the clients that match its bitness and ignore the ones that don't. To reply, please reply-all to this email. Stop receiving emails on this subject. Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General notifications altogether. Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum Flag this post as spam/abuse. To reply, please reply-all to this email. Stop receiving emails on this subject. Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General notifications altogether. Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum Flag this post as spam/abuse. ![](http://gyk.r.mailjet.com/o/04j0/d8f3cb57/pzs842ne.gif)

This is amazing.

Title of thread is mentioning Excel and in all other posts only Access and not a single reference to Excel.

just great!

The author's first reply in the thread:

Of course as soon as I hit post, I noticed the title should be 32 Bit Access

I’ve updated the title of the thread so that it’s accurate…

Maybe if tittle’s phrase “Access is” changed to “MS Access” this would be a little more clear for everyone in search …

[:D][:D]

I just installed Toad for Oracle 12.7 64-bit and also installed the full MS Office Access 64-bit. When downloading and exporting to Ms Access, I was getting the error ‘Could not load the Microsoft access Database Engine…’

I have both Toad and MS Office/MS Access 64-bit version. Does somebody encountered the same problem? I’m using Windows 7.

It should work if you have 64 bit Toad and 64 bit MS Access installed.

However, you could try going here to download the MS Access Database Engine - be sure to double-check your Toad bit version and get the matching one from this page.

www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I have 64-bit for Toad and MS Access 2013.

I will download and install the 64-bit ms access database engine. I will let you know of the results.

Thanks again.

Celedonio 'Jun' Bausa
Orleans Parish Assessor's Office**T-504-658

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 4:18 PM, John Dorlon bounce-jdorlon@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: 64 Bit Toad and 32 Bit Access

Reply by John Dorlon

However, you could try going here to download the MS Access Database Engine - be sure do double-check your Toad bit version and get the matching one from this page.

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

I worked. I just need that ms access database engine installed.

Thanks a lot.

Celedonio 'Jun' Bausa

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 4:24 PM, junb jbausa@orleansassessors.com wrote:

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I have 64-bit for Toad and MS Access 2013.

I will download and install the 64-bit ms access database engine. I will let you know of the results.

Thanks again.

Celedonio 'Jun' Bausa

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 4:18 PM, John Dorlon bounce-jdorlon@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: 64 Bit Toad and 32 Bit Access

Reply by John Dorlon

However, you could try going here to download the MS Access Database Engine - be sure do double-check your Toad bit version and get the matching one from this page.

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

Hi, Community.

I know this post is about 3.5 years old, but I have a business requirement to export a lot of data to MS Access. I have installed TOAD 11.6, 64-bit on my Windows machine, as well as the 64-bit MS Access Engine. I still get the same error referenced in the original post. Perhaps this is a dumb question, but:

Is MS Office required to be installed on the machine along with TOAD and the MS Access Engine? I get that you would need office to open the .mdb file, but could you still export the data and create the .mdb file without MS Office on the TOAD machine?

Thank you for your help.

You shouldn’t need all of MS Access, just the runtime. Here are some links to the different versions. Toad 11.6 came out in 2012, so your best bet is probably the 2010 version but maybe the 2013 version would work too. You might have problems with the 2016 since it is so much newer than your version of Toad.

2010: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=13255

2013: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39358

2016: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50040