A couple of feature requests

1. Add an additional option to not prompt to save empty editors under the existing option to save on close. I frequently open a connection to run a quick query and then delete the query when I'm done. I don't want to be prompted to save the editor if it's empty on close.

2. Under Session there are Test Connection and Test All Connections. It would be helpful to have a 3rd choice to Test Only Disconnected

Thanks

I think #1 is a good idea. I don't think it even needs to be an option, but others may disagree on that.

I'm not convinced on #2 though. A connection could be lost and Toad doesn't realize it yet (which is why we test first). If there is a specific connection that you want to reconnect w/o making it the active connection first, you can rt-click on the connection button and choose "reconnect"

Let me explain my situation with #2.

I constantly have multiple sessions open to various databases. At any given time I can loose a connection due to various reasons like the DB going down for maintenance, my SSH session with the required port tunnels going down, etc.

So when this happens I can have many sessions disconnected at the same time while many are still active. I'd like to one reconnect the disconnected ones without reconnecting the active ones.

you can set options like this to not reconnect active sessions when you do a test/reconnect:

If a connection is already known to have connection lost, we won't waste time testing it, we'll just reconnect. We only test the ones we think are still connected.

That certainly helps but I'd prefer to not test the active ones at all, just reconnect the known disconnected ones. I can have 12 or more sessions going and if 3 are known to be disconnected I don't want to wait while the other 9 are being tested

With 12 connections, I can see how that might take longer than desired.

So a function called Reconnect All Disconnected or similar is what I'm asking for. Maybe I'm in the minority for having so many sessions open? :man_shrugging:

Part of my hesitation is that a connection could be lost, but Toad won't know it if it hasn't tried to run a SQL since the connection was lost. I understand that you are OK with this scenario, but it feels like are setting ourselves up for complaints like "I did 'Reconnect All Disconnected' and then I still had disconnected sessions!"

If we add this feature I'd want to make it clear that it's possible that a connection is lost but we don't know it yet.

I understand you need to anticipate the expectations of different users. Maybe "Reconnect Known Disconnected" instead of "Reconnect All Disconnected" would set the expectation correctly.

Anyway, I'd put this feature in the nice-to-have category so I'll leave it at that. Have a great weekend.

You too Raymond.

Thanks for the ideas and bug reports.

-John

Hi Raymond,

About the first request - to not save blank editor tabs. It's not clear from the option, but the "Prompt to save" option only applies to tabs NOT opened from file. So if you're OK with not being prompted to save any scratchpad tabs, as long as you are still prompted to save modified files, then uncheck that box. We'll make this more clear next version. We'll also make it not prompt for blank tabs (as long as they weren't loaded from file)

We'll add a way to reconnect disconnected sessions too.

-John

Actually, I would still like to be prompted to save tabs not opened from a file if there is text in it. I only want empty tabs to close silently. I have a lot of open tabs and it takes a while to remember what I was doing for any given tab. If I know I won't need a query again I delete it right away so I don't have to review it later to determine if I need to save it.

Since you brought up tabs opened from a file, it would be nice to be able to recover that state when Toad terminates abnormally. Currently it recovers the tab but forgets it's from file or at least it forgets the dirty state of the file and always prompts to save on close.

Thanks again for considering my requests.

[edit] BTW, always prompting to save tabs opened from a file is a good thing so please don't change that.

still like to be prompted to save tabs not opened from a file

Ok, next beta should do what you are looking for then, with the option checked.

it would be nice to be able to recover that state when Toad terminates abnormally. Currently it recovers the tab but forgets it's from file or at least it forgets the dirty state of the file and always prompts to save on close.

I just tried this and it worked as expected. Maybe we expect different things. Here's what I did:

• Loaded a file into editor
  • typed in the editor so it's modified but not saved
  • waited a few minutes for auto-backup to happen
  • killed Toad
  • restarted
  • selected to recover the document

After that, the editor is exactly how I left it. It knows what the file was, and that I've modified but not saved.

BTW, always prompting to save tabs opened from a file is a good thing so please don't change that.

Nope, we're not changing this.

I just tried this and it worked as expected. Maybe we expect different things. Here's what I did:

• Loaded a file into editor
  • typed in the editor so it's modified but not saved
  • waited a few minutes for auto-backup to happen
  • killed Toad
  • restarted
  • selected to recover the document

After that, the editor is exactly how I left it. It knows what the file was, and that I've modified but not saved.

It's the opposite scenario I'm talking about. Opening a file and not modifying it. Recovery forgets it's unmodified and prompts to save it on close. This is on 16.2, I haven't tried it on Beta.

ok, I tried the following in 16.2:

• Loaded a file into editor and did not type anything in the editor after that.
  • Waited a few minutes for auto-backup to happen
  • Killed Toad
  • Restarted
  • No recovery dialog appears.

In this scenario, there is nothing to recover because the file was not backed up (because it was not modified). Am I still missing your point?

Hmm, it's been a while since I've had to recover. Perhaps I'm not remembering the details correctly. Hold off on looking anymore into this one.

Thanks

1 Like