Toad World® Forums

Adding commas when double-clicking columns in Editor?

Hello -

I am using TOAD for Oracle, version 12.10.0.30. When I am using the Editor (Database > Editor), with the Object Palette displayed, I like to double-click column names to add them to a query I am creating. However, when I do this, the column names are added without commas. For example, I get this:

select currentstatus program last_modified_by…

instead of this:

select currentstatus, program, last_modified_by…

I find that I have to manually insert the commas, which is silly. There must be a better way.

Note: If I use the key to select more than 1 column, and then drag to the Editor window, commas are inserted, as expected. It is just when double-clicking column names one-at-a-time that I get the spaces without a comma.

Thank You,

Tom

If you select multiple column names and drag them into the editor, they will be separated by commas. I imagine that the idea is that if you are only clicking on one column, it is because you are only wanting the one.

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 7:04 PM, tom.wickerath bounce-tomwickerath@toadworld.com wrote:

Adding commas when double-clicking columns in Editor?

Thread created by tom.wickerath
Hello -

I am using TOAD for Oracle, version 12.10.0.30. When I am using the Editor (Database > Editor), with the Object Palette displayed, I like to double-click column names to add them to a query I am creating. However, when I do this, the column names are added without commas. For example, I get this:

select currentstatus program last_modified_by…

instead of this:

select currentstatus, program, last_modified_by…

I find that I have to manually insert the commas, which is silly. There must be a better way.

Thank You,

Tom

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle Forum notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

Security Gestapo
Digital Products & Strategies, Cru | Data Sciences & Analytics
Office :phone: 407-515-4452

phyllis.helton@cru.org

Hi Phyllis,

I imagine that the idea is that if you are only clicking on one column, it is because you are only wanting the one.

No. The problems are that the database is very poorly documented, and most tables are very wide (e.g. lots of columns – over 100 in most cases). So, it is more like going on a fishing trip, to find the data of interest.

Tom

Sounds like some of the tables we have. :slight_smile:

You can still multi-select the columns. Click, Ctrl-Click, scroll Ctrl-Click, etc.

Personally, I like that the commas aren’t added if I only add one column at a time, but I’ve also been using Toad for a very long time and so I’ve gotten used to how to make it work. :slight_smile:

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 2:53 PM, tom.wickerath bounce-tomwickerath@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: Adding commas when double-clicking columns in Editor?

Reply by tom.wickerath
Hi Phyllis,

I imagine that the idea is that if you are only clicking on one column, it is because you are only wanting the one.

No. The problems are that the database is very poorly documented, and most tables are very wide (e.g. lots of columns – over 100 in most cases). So, it is more like going on a fishing trip, to find the data of interest.

Tom

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle Forum notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

Security Gestapo
Digital Products & Strategies, Cru | Data Sciences & Analytics
Office :phone: 407-515-4452

phyllis.helton@cru.org

Sounds like some of the tables we have. :slight_smile:

Yep. There are many “SQL Smells” in our database, as described in this document for SQL Server: “119 SQL Code Smells” They are certainly applicable to Oracle or any other RDBMS.

https://www.simple-talk.com/books/sql-books/119-sql-code-smells/

If anyone from the TOAD team is following this thread, how about providing a user option to control whether or not commas are added when one simply double-clicks a column name? If this is not too hard, then perhaps default it to the current behavior (add spaces only).

IMHO the best way to handle column and table names would be a context sensitive approach: add a comma before the new name, if already a table / column name is there.