Toad World® Forums

Alter Table Fails

I can consistently get TOAD v5.x Alter Table to fail. The same Alter Table works fine in v4.6.

It’s simple - try changing a column type. I recently tried to change a column type in a COMPLETELY EMPTY BRAND NEW table from Int to BigInt (a foreign key constraint on an already established table required me to do so). It hemmed. It hawed. It muttered for about a minute. It flashed the screen. It changed to the script tab. It thought. Then it thought some more. Somewhere between 3 and 5 minutes after clicking on the OK button, it popped up a message stating “no changes detected.” Grr!

I then went into 4.6, made the same change, and in about 0.25 seconds, it flashed up a message saying “Table altered successfully.” Which brings me to point 2: v5.x alter table statements run WAY slower than v4.6.

There are other ways to get it to fail, too - but I don’t remember them right now. Sorry. :frowning:

I’m not sure what the problem is, but it would be nice if v5.x’s (the problem exists in both 5.0 and 5.5) alter table’s ran as quickly and reliably as v4.6’s.

J Fischer

Hello Mr. Fischer,
I’ve just investigated your issue and could not reproduce it. Datatype changes successfully on my side in TSS 5.5 Could you reproduce this on any table and database?
It would be great if you could send us a script for table creation. And could you send us Support Bundle?

Thanks,
Anastasia

Anastasia,
I have sent the information you requested.

Hi Jonathan,
can you please forward this email to me (alexander.maximov@quest.com) since Anastasia is on vacation for the next two weeks - she accidentally forgot about this :slight_smile:

sorry for the confusion.

No problem. I have sent you the email.

Jeff, I am a user such as yourself.

Tthis is a known issue that I have reported since the release of Toad-SS 5.5 … It doesn’t happen on 5.0.2, but just about anything I try to alter is failing on the current release.

Please feel free to contact me to discuss further.
Hank Freeeman
hfreeman@msn.com

Jonathan,
thank you so much for the db backup. I was able to reproduce the issue!
CR89402 was created. Should be fixed on next release.

Great! That’s good news!