Beta Released (12.7.0.58)

Multiple Toad Support:

You can now launch multiple “virtual” instances of Toad without worrying about running into file access conflicts between instances. Virtual Toad instances create their own temporary app data locations which are isolated from your primary instance and automatically cleaned up when Toad exits. Since virtual instances are temporary, it’s always recommended to save any work to a separate location, or simply include the KEEPFILES option below.

You can launch virtual instances through the following parameters / command-line switches:

/VIRTUAL

• Starts a virtual instance of Toad with its own private App Data folder

BASEPATH=“path”

• If used with the /VIRTUAL switch, instructs Toad to create its private folder underneath “path”. By default, Toad will create its private folder in the standard Windows directory for temporary files (usually c:\temp).

CLEAN

• If used with the /VIRTUAL switch, instructs Toad to run as a clean install. If this is not specified, Toad will attempt to clone the primary app data folder. (Note: this can also be helpful in tracking down potential issues with user files.)

COPYFROM=“path”

• If used with the /VIRTUAL switch, instructs Toad to clone user settings and files from “path”. This is similar to the standard USERPATH parameter, but it will clone the specified path, rather than simply using it. This should point to the path that contains the “User Files” folder.

KEEPFILES

• If used with the /VIRTUAL switch, retains the private app data folder after Toad exits. By default, Toad will not retain user files or settings for virtual instances.

Dennis,

Looks like a useful feature. I tried it, assuming “By default, Toad will not retain user files or settings for virtual instances” as described in your original post.

I’m on 12.9.0.31 now, I started an instance with /Virtual, removed a few entries from the project management view, and exited the virtual instance.

Then I started a normal Toad, expecting that the changes to the project manager tree would not have been saved,
To my surprise, they were. Am I doing something wrong?

The command I used to start Toad Virtual instance was:
C:\Windows\System32>“C:\Program Files\Dell\Toad for Oracle 12.9 Beta\Toad.exe” /Virtual

Kind regards,
Abe Kornelis

It sounds like the Project Manager is not following the “virtual” settings. I’ll check on that.

From: kornelis.abe [mailto:bounce-kornelisabe@toadworld.com]

Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 4:13 AM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Beta Released (12.7.0.58)

RE: Beta Released (12.7.0.58)

Reply by kornelis.abe

Dennis,

Looks like a useful feature. I tried it, assuming “By default, Toad will not retain user files or settings for virtual instances” as described in your original post.

I’m on 12.9.0.31 now, I started an instance with /Virtual, removed a few entries from the project management view, and exited the virtual instance.

Then I started a normal Toad, expecting that the changes to the project manager tree would not have been saved,

To my surprise, they were. Am I doing something wrong?

The command I used to start Toad Virtual instance was:

C:\Windows\System32>“C:\Program Files\Dell\Toad for Oracle 12.9 Beta\Toad.exe” /Virtual

Kind regards,

Abe Kornelis

==========

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hi Abe,

I just tried this and it worked OK for me.

Your project manager should have the path to the file where all the project manager settings are stored. In your non-virtual Toad instance, it should say something like c:\users\Abe\AppData\Roaming\Dell\Toad\User Files\Project.tpr

In the Virtual instance, it should say something like c:\users\Abe\AppData\Local\Temp\TOAD_C###\User Files\Project.tpr

Are you seeing that or are they using the same location?

John,

the non-virtual instance has C:\Work\New_Oracle\Other\Toad\Databases.TPR

The virtual instance started with “C:\Program Files\Dell\Toad for Oracle 12.9 Beta\Toad.exe”
has the exact same path.

it’s not in the users roaming directory as it is in a directory structure that is version-managed.

Could this be part of the problem?

Kind regards,
Abe

Yeah, I think if you put the TPR file in the User Files folder for the non-virtual instance, then it will work as expected.

OK, thanks.

Abe