Beta version bug with regards to fonts?

I am using Lucida Console 8pt as my font for entities. After I installed the beta version (3.1.6.11) I noticed that it displays the entities using a bigger font size even if in the options dialog the size was set to 8pt. Setting the font using the Format… option in the entity context menu doesn’t help either the font looks like a 12pt or 14pt font.

Hello Costa,

Do I understand well that in previous Beta version:

1. You set the Lucida Console 8pt font in the Settings | Options | Physical Model | Font Settings.
  2. Then you created a new model where the font change was applied.
  3. Saved the model.
  4. Updated Beta.
  5. Opened the model in new Beta and the font was not as it should be (instead of size 8, there was size 12 or 14?).
    ?
  • If this happened, there’s something wrong.
    Anyway, I’ve just checked it out and it works fine for me.

A few notes:

• Format changes made in the Settings | Options | Physical Model are applied only in NEW models you will create. In current models, you have to change the settings in WS Format Properties for each WS.
  • If there is a difference between settings in Options | Physical Model and settings of particular WS or object (entity, view…), it is the result of manual change that was made. Example: I change format of particular WS or particular entity. If I udpate TDM3 and open the model, the format will be preserved.
    Also, format I set for particular entity will be preserved from changes of WS format.

Please watch this movie to see how the formatting works:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=1151&categoryID=158
Thanks.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Vladka

What happened is this:

I have a model that I created in version 3.0.13.175. In this version I changed the font for the entities to be Lucida Console 8pt, and it works fine.

Next, I closed version 3.0, I installed the Beta version (3.1.6), I run it, it opens by default my model and now the fonts are all of the sudden bigger and Arial. I go to the Settings->Options->Physical Model and the font settings are fine, the font preview looks fine, it is Lucida Console 8pt, however, again, all the entities are displayed using an Arial Font 10pt. I click on an entity, then I right-click to open the context menu, choose the Format option and the font is Arial 8pt. I change it to Lucida Console 8pt and after I close the dialog the font looks much bigger than 8pt and this at 100% zoom level. I add new entity and it appears to be again Arial 8pt according to the Format dialog and despite my font being Lucida Console 8pt in Settings->Options->Physical Model.

• Format changes made in the Settings | Options | Physical Model areapplied only in NEW models you will create. In current models, you haveto change the settings in WS Format Properties for each WS.

True, and it works as specified.

To summarize, I think there are two problems:

• the beta version displays a 2pt bigger font than whatever is specified in the Format dialogs
  • when I open a model created in the previous version (3.0.x) with 3.1.x the font is not the same.

Hello Costa,

Thanks for your reply.

To summarize, I think there are two problems: - the beta version displays a 2pt bigger font than whatever is specified in the Format dialogs. - when I open a model created in the previous version (3.0.x) with 3.1.x the font is not the same.

We have verified this problem and unfortunately failed to simulate it. Costa, could you please send us the old model created in the previous version 3.0.x?
If you can, please send it to: modeling@quest.com.

Nevertheless, one more try - before you open TDM3 Beta again, please delete the TDM.txe file stored by default at:
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Quest Software\Toad Data Modeler Beta\Configs.
Note: Then you will have to customize the layout of the application again. However, it might help.

Please let us know the result. Thanks.

Vladka + TDM Team

Hi, Vladka:

You guys should be able to reproduce this problem simply by installing TDM 3.0.175 and then create a model with one entity, change its font to Lucide Console 8pt, then open the model with TDM 3.1.x and you’ll see the fonts are bigger in 3.1.x.

I just did this and emailed you the file to that address.

Hello Costa,

Thanks very much for your response and the information.

You guys should be able to reproduce this problem simply by installing TDM 3.0.175 and then create a model with one entity, change its font to Lucide Console 8pt, then open the model with TDM 3.1.x and you'll see the fonts are bigger in 3.1.x.

Yes, this is exactly what we did, however didn't get the result you sent us.
So, we've further discussed this problem in our team. Here's the information:

In v. 3.0.13, there was a problem with the display - it was more device dependent, which caused e.g. problems during print. - See the discussion on this issue at:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5561

We took some steps to reduce this problem as much as possible and set the font size to tenths of milimetres. - This is the change between v. 3.0 and current v. 3.1.

Why can't we get the same result as you although we have the same font size and take the same steps?

• Screen uses "logical milimeter", which can differ from screen to screen.

Well, I 'm afraid this is all I can write you on this issue.
If the font size is so different in your models in the new version, I'm very sorry, we are not able to offer you a standard fix that would be simply implemented in next version.

Regards,

Vladka