Toad World® Forums

BUG: Failed to save the settings for module Editor

Hi,

I've just made a fresh installation of Toad For SQL Server v7.0.3.37 on my W10 (Windows 10 Pro 1903 x64 build 18362.356 ) machine and then tried to start the app, but I got the following error (see the att. for a screenshot):

Failed to save the settings for module Editor due to error Type 'System.Text.UTF8Encoding+UTF8EncodingSealed' in Assembly 'mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=b77a5c51934e089' is not marked as serializable

Moreover, it seems this pop up shows up every time I try to change/save anything in the settings. I've also attached a copy of the "Editor.xml", which appears to be broken, maybe because of the above issue with the "mscorlib".

Editor.xml.txt (365 Bytes)

Any idea how to fix this without re-installing Toad?

Hi, what version did you upgrade from? What language and regional settings have you got on your machine? Is it 64 or 32 bit?
Can you try removing the Editor XML and if it does not help remove the appData for Toad - backup your Connections.xml.

  1. Nope, it wasn't an upgrade. It was a completely fresh install on a completely new (1w old) installation of Windows 10.
  2. The OS language is English, the language for non-Unicode programs is Bulgarian.
  3. 64 bit, of course :slight_smile:
  1. Yes, I've already tried that. Removing the Editor.xml, removing the entire app folder, etc... Upon Toad start I get the same error. It seems that for some reason (maybe the "mscorlib") Toad cannot initialize the Editor.xml properly.

One more thing, I've tried removing the 7.0.3.37 version and then installed a copy of the latest freeware, which turns out to be v7.0.7.106, and the issue still persists, which leads me to thing this problem is somehow related to Windows 10. Another important thing I've noticed is that 1903 is the first version of W10, which is shipped with .NET Framework 4.8. I don't know what "mscorlib" is, but it could be related to the latter fact.

P.S. May I ask somebody to send me a "non-broken" version of the Editor.xml, so I can give a quick try if this will fix the problem.