Can I use the Toad for Oracle Freeware 12.8 running on my desktop to access the Oracle 8i database running on a server through the Oracle Client 8.1.7 installed on my desktop ?

Dear Sir,

I have the Oracle Client 8.1.7 installed on my desktop and I only need to access the Oracle 8i database of an old system running on a server.

With my situation described above, can I use the Toad for Oracle Freeware 12.8 running on my desktop to access the Oracle 8i database running on the server through the Oracle Client 8.1.7 installed on my desktop ?

Grateful for your help.

CHOW WAI ON

Hello,

We discontinued 8i client support years ago so the version you’re looking for is probably correct in that it will support 8i client. Unfortunately freeware expires so a version that would support 8i client has been long expired. However, you don’t need an 8i client to connect to an 8i DB, use a 10g client instead.

Sent: Friday, February 26, 2016 6:36 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Can I use the Toad for Oracle Freeware 12.8 running on my desktop to access the Oracle 8i database running on a server through the Oracle Client 8.1.7 installed on my desktop ?

Can I use the Toad for Oracle Freeware 12.8 running on my desktop to access the Oracle 8i database running on a server through the Oracle Client 8.1.7 installed on my desktop ?

Thread created by chowwaion

Dear Sir,

I have the Oracle Client 8.1.7 installed on my desktop and I only need to access the Oracle 8i database of an old system running on a server.

With my situation described above, can I use the Toad for Oracle Freeware 12.8 running on my desktop to access the Oracle 8i database running on the server through the Oracle Client 8.1.7 installed on my desktop ?

Grateful for your help.

CHOW WAI ON

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Also note that even Oracle Extended support for that version expired in 2006 so you may want to consider an upgrade path.

From: Brad Boddicker [mailto:bounce-ButtonPusher@toadworld.com]

Sent: Friday, February 26, 2016 8:08 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Can I use the Toad for Oracle Freeware 12.8 running on my desktop to access the Oracle 8i database running on a server through the Oracle Client 8.1.7 installed on my desktop ?

RE: Can I use the Toad for Oracle Freeware 12.8 running on my desktop to access the Oracle 8i database running on a server through the Oracle Client 8.1.7 installed on my desktop ?

Reply by Brad Boddicker

Hello,

We discontinued 8i client support years ago so the version you’re looking for is probably correct in that it will support 8i client. Unfortunately freeware expires so a version that would support 8i client has been long expired. However, you don’t need an 8i client to connect to an 8i DB, use a 10g client instead.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.