Cannot create new session in SQL Nevigator 4.5

Hi,

After installing OraOdac11g_home, my existing OraHome92 stopped working. Basically, I cannot create new session in SQL Navigator 4.5 (failed to parse tnsnames.ora file.)

Please help!!!

Thank you very much.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

SQL Navigator 4.5 does not support 11g client and you will not be able to use Nav to work with that environment, as now 11g is the default home, and SQL Nav 4.5 does not have the home selection feature like in SQL Navigator 6.0

You will need to get upgrade to SQL Navigator version 6 to get support for 11g. Please contact our Sales or Support team if you would need assistance with the upgrade.

You can download the latest Beta 6.2, install side by side to try it out, so you can get your work done until the upgrade is done.

Thanks and regards,
Bruce

Hi, Bruce:

Thank you for your message. It is really helpful.
Since I own SQL navigator 4.5 now, is it a free upgrade to SQL Nevigator 6.0? Will SQL Nvigator 6.0 exist side by side with SQL Navigator 4.5?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Jenny

Hi, Jenny,

As SQL Navigator 6.0 (and up) can be installed side by side with 5.5, I think this will also work with 4.5.

I don’t remember, if you can set the OraHome in the connection dialog of 4.5, I think this is implemented from 5.0 upward.
If you have older databases (e.g. 8.1.2) remember that new sql navigator maybe does not support this anymore!

Here are two ways which could help to run 4.5:

First:
Try to start sql navigator 4.5 from a batch file, which has a path set to your OraHome92\bin in front of the OraOdac11g_home\bin.

Another way which could help is:
Look under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOMEX where X is your OraHome92
set
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\ALL_HOMES\LAST_HOME to X