Perhaps someone has had this problem before, please read in detail to understand the tests made and the problem in detail. It is a puzzling one perhaps and maibe only the best among you can suggest something.
I’m running SQL Navigator 5.5 on Windows XP SP3 with Oracle Client 9.2 connecting to Oracle databases 9 and 10g. We are updating the local workstation to a more recent one, on the old one with had SQL Navigator 5.5 working with the same OS platform and Oracle client without any problems. On the new workstation, whenever we leave Navigator open on the station, it ends up by loosing network connectivity, so much so that all network activity fails.
We took a long time to establish this connection with SQL Navigator, partially because the network failure mostly happens during the night.
Now for the facts:
- It’s not network card configuration /power save options, all has been checked.
- Workstation with SQL Navigator closed does not loose connection.
- Workstation with only SQL Navigator on, looses connection, usually over night.
- Not time relation could be establish (it does not seem to be after x hours)
- It’s not faulty hardware, the workstation has been changed several times.
- It’s not a problem with network hardware, location has been chanced.
- On a request from Quest support we tested SQL Navigator 6.2 Trial, it had the same result.
- When the workstation looses network, one or two reconnects in Navigator restore the network to normal state.
- There are no fault or error entries in the workstation logs.
- We cloned a machine where SQL Navigator Trial was working fine for weeks and installed SQL Navigator with our licence, it had the same problem.
- We found a case similar to this one on the Quest support site, still it had references to Microsoft virtual PC wich we don’t have.
Common factor on this tests is the fact that we did it with our SLQ Navigator 5.5 registered.
Currently situation is,
- One old workstation where SQL Navigator 5.5 registered, works without problems.
- One new workstation where SQL Navigator 5.5 registered and 6.2 Trial have problems.
- One new test workstation where SQL Navigator 5.5 trial had no problems, but where 5.5 registered now does not work.
Current test is,
- Disconnect old workstation and keep it ofline.
- Remove SQL Navigator 5.5 from the new workstation.
- Reduce teste workstation software (services) to a minimum and leave SQL Navigator 5.5 registered, in order to see the result.
For those of you that like a good challange hope this one rattles your chain, understand that I do not request your assistance without weeks of tests, so please make valid suggestions.
Thank you to all that made it this far