Connection failed in Group Execute

I would like to run a Group Execute against 2 databases. I can successfully connect and query each individually but I get an error when I try Group Execute. It appears to be a connection error because when I open the Group Execute window there is a red box and the text “1 error” next to each of the connections. Group execute is enabled and the 2 databases are selected. I am taking over responsibility from someone that has left employment and she ran Group Execute in the past so I know it is possible. I have searched everywhere but could not find an answer and I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Would you please provide more details? Could you please tell us if you can see some error message in result?

If there any question, feel free to contact us by reply this or send Email to me:

kelly.chen@quest.com

Best Regards,

Kelly

What is weird is that this ran fine for the last several months. My coworker just left and I no longer have a resource. Why why would it not break while she was here? I think that the second failed because for some reason it is picking up her log on ‘mlema’ but I don’t know how to change that.

Thanks!

I get this one one:

Category Timestamp Duration Message Line Position

Error 6/3/2015 7:37:23 AM 0:00:00.000 - SQL Server Database Error: Could not find server ‘VDCSS-SQL1’ in sys.servers. Verify that the correct server name was specified. If necessary, execute the stored procedure sp_addlinkedserver to add the server to sys.servers. 1 0

And this on the other:

Category Timestamp Duration Message Line Position

Error 6/3/2015 7:37:23 AM 0:00:00.000 - SQL Server Database Error: Login failed for user ‘MLema’. 1 6

Hi,

Thank you very much for details.

According to the first Error, did the script you are running contain any query or opertions to linked server 'VDCSS-SQL1' ? If so, please check in 'Object Explorer->Server Objects->Linked Server' to see if this linked server exists. Or try to recreate this linked Server.

Create Linked Servers.png

For the second error, would you please check/alter user login in the linked server that script is using?

Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Kelly