Connection to Local DB2 on Windows

Hi,

I just installed Toad for DB2 LUW on a trial. I have no connections. I want to connect to use a couple of test databases on the same machine as Toad.

When looking at IBM Data Studio, it easily found my local DB directory and the databases easily connected to Data Studio.

With Toad, it seems to have no knowledge of my machine.

My local information is as follows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\SQLLIB\BIN>db2 connect to dw

Database Connection Information

Database server = DB2/NT 10.1.1
SQL authorization ID = DB2ADMIN
Local database alias = DW

C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\SQLLIB\BIN>db2 “SELECT INST_NAME FROM TABLE(SYSPROC.ENV_GET_INST_INFO()) AS SYSTEMINFO”

INST_NAME

DB2

1 record(s) selected.

In reading the documentation, and running the wizard, I find that Toad wants to the following:

CATALOG TCPIP NODE MART
REMOTE 127.0.0.1
SERVER 50000
REMOTE_INSTANCE DB2
OSTYPE WIN;

CATALOG DATABASE DW
AS DW
AT NODE MART
AUTHENTICATION SERVER;

Is this truly necessary? What did I do wrong?

Thanks,
Martin

Toad for DB2 installs and uses its own DB2 client\copy.
This is necessary as Toad DB2 uses the IBM .Net DB2 Dataproviders specifically the version of which is tied to the version of the DB2 client that is installed along with Toad.
When your new DB2 client gets installed it is named like TOADE51.
And the database catelog for that DB2 client is empty. You can migrate over your catalog from another DB2 copy on your machine.
Please see:
http://dev.toadfordb2.com/releasenotes/ToadDB2V45/ToadDB2RN.htm#Connections

Hope this helps!
Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Nice to hear from you, and thanks for your response.

I essentially catalogued my local machine as a new remote, and it worked. I was skittish as to why I would have to do this, hence my question.

Cheers,
Martin

Martin
Glad to hear from you and see you are connected.
Yes - to get to another DB2 copies local database you have to catalog it as a remote database.