connector lines for start-end of code blocks

It requires not only folding, but also "Box Tree"

Circle tree will also do it. Arrow and Plus/Minus styles do not draw the connecting lines thus nothing to highlight.

sometimes locates blocks on a non-matching indent

I see.

I'd like to have an explicit formatting option to force block alignment to tab boundaries.

I'm not sure if this is already possible, but I'll forward the request on to see what the formatter guys have to say about it.

Would it be feasible to reduce the indicated area to teh subselect only, rather than the entire statement?

It would be quite an effort with little return. From what I can see 12.6 did the same. I think it's more intuitive that folding occurs at logical positions like open and close parens, entire statements, entire blocks, etc. Folding on individual clauses, expressions,
and other pieces makes for a big headache and opens the door for all kinds of error. Your best option would be to hide what you don't want to see by selecting lines and using the rt-click "Hide Lines" feature. To show the lines click on one of the two gutter
indicators marking the start and end of the hidden range.

I'd like to have a quick way of highlighting/indicating an entire procedure/function, without first needing to scroll past all declarations.

This is the ideal behavior and I'll work on it soon. There's an item in the Idea Pond for highlighting of all keywords in a block which was the impetus for the change in direction here for 12.7. It's highly voted up, but there are also comments in there to
have an option to disable it. I'll expand this feature as well as add an option, defaulting to enabled.

Michael

On 01/23/2015 03:05 AM, kornelis.abe wrote:

RE: connector lines for start-end of code blocks

Reply by kornelis.abe
Michael,

I think I've got it. It requires not only folding, but also "Box Tree". With folding set to "Plus/Minus" I do not get the red highlighting in the folding column. Very helpful to have it back!

You also mentioned I should have my formatting to match my tab settings. I do have that (2 spaces per tab). I understand how I can use the dotted vertical lines to find matching lines. Just to be pedant: sometimes locates blocks on a non-matching indent.
Example:

As you can see the select is aligned on an even position, whereas the case is indented to an odd position.

Not a big deal, but if this is what we'll have to with in the future, I'd like to have an explicit formatting option to force block alignment to tab boundaries.

Would that be feasible?

I did some more testing. I have a union of two selects. When I click the second 'select' verb the red indicator line in the in the folding column highlights both select statements. I would have expected that in case I'd made the 'union' keyword current.
Would it be feasible to reduce the indicated area to teh subselect only, rather than the entire statement?

Another find: when I select 'begin' then the entire body is indicated, and the associated keywords 'exception' and 'end' are highlighted in grey. That's fine.

However, when I select the keyword 'procedure' only the parameter list is indicated. I'd like to have a quick way of highlighting/indicating an entire procedure/function, without first needing to scroll past all declarations.

As far as I'm concerned, this might be implemented on either the procedure/function keywords or on the is/as keyword.

Kind regards,

Abe Kornelis.

==========

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.