Toad World® Forums

Data Compare - not working as desired

I have verified thre should be matches between the two columns in the attached screenshot. However the Data Compare function is not finding matches. Is it due the the different data types being used? Is there a way to override this and just compare the contents?

Thanks,
Jason

data compare.gif

Hi Jason,
Thanks for your respond.
Please give us more information about issue -we can’t understand problem.
You select columns from attach as source and target and Data Compare doesn’t compare it?
the problem might be in different lenght of string, in this case you can use “ignore whitespaces” option.

Thanks,
Nata

I have tried the ‘ignore whitespace’ and still don’t get any matches. I get a warning displayed on the screen… a little yellowish icon, that warns about the fields being of different length. Is this what is causing my issue?

Thanks,
Jason

I may have attached the incorrect screenshot previously. This one shows the 'warning'. Could this be the cause of no matches being found?

Thanks,
Jason

Sorry,
what do you mean when you say “no matches is found?”
columns contains different values but DC can’t find this differences?
If you mean that columns doesn’t automatically selected as target for source column - the problem is in different names of columns. DC use automatically mapping only for columns with equal names.
Thanks, Nata

I set the fields in the previous screenshot as the key to compare. After the comparison it is not finding any values that match between the 2 columns. I know there are some values that should be matching between the 2. I was wondering if the warning about different data lengths could be causing this.

Thanks

Now I see
Please give me example of data from source and target table which are different but DC shown it as equal. I cant reproduce this issue…
I don’t think that issue occurs because of different type of key.
As I see you don’t select any other columns for compare… so, different keys shown as ONLY source and ONLY target
Thanks, Nata

The problem is it isn’t finding any records that match (are equal). I know some match…

let's see
I created tables with key column like in your case. It works fine. are you sure that you have valid data? give me example please or snapshot of result page
Thanks, Nata

See attached files… The records should match and are showing as not matching…???
options.gif

See attached files... The records should match and are showing as not matching....???

See attached files... The records should match and are showing as not matching....???

See attached files… The records should match and are showing as not matching…???
select columns_2.gif

See attached files… The records should match and are showing as not matching…???
results.gif

I’m having a similar problem.
When comparing only one column in addition to the key, the comparison appears correct. If I add more columns to be compared, the values in these columns gets shifted and consequently there are no matches.

Tor

Hi Jason,
finally we reproduced your issue
It occurs if one of key column (PolicyNumber) contains NULL
Try to use filter “PolicyNumber is not null” - in this case comparison works fine
It should be fixed in next build of Data Compare
Thanks, Nata

This appears to have solved my issue. Thanks!

Hi Tor,
please give us details about your problem. we’ll try to reproduce it
Nata

Nata,

I see the problem when I use an excel file as the source and an Access table as the target. To test I imported the source file into Access and did a compare on identical data. Looks like the values from columns 3-5 gets shifted from one column to the next - no matches.

I have attached the source file, just import to Access and do a compare on the ID field. (Note that the ID is not unique so some duplicate errors are to be expected)

Thanks,

Tor
CompareTest.xls (54 KB)

Hi Tor,
I reproduced your issue in TDA 2,7. But now it’s fixed. You can use last TDA Beta for check.
Nata