Data Point Showing limited databases from Hive

I am using Toad Data Point 5.7.0.405 (64 bit). When I link to Apache Hive it connects fine but it only shows Default database in Object Manager.

Assuming you are using the Apache Hive connector and not ODBC.

You can't see any other databases in the Object Explorer drop down?
What happens if you change the Schema field to another database in the Connection profile? Do you only see that database as well?
Do your credentials allow you to see the other databases?

Additional details and screen snapshots always help. :slight_smile:

Assuming you are using the Apache Hive connector and not ODBC. I have tried both the Toad Apache Hive and Nortonworks Hive and both show the same thing.

You can't see any other databases in the Object Explorer drop down? Correct

What happens if you change the Schema field to another database in the Connection profile? Do you only see that database as well? - using Toad it won't connect. Using Horton it connects but doesn't show the database or objects.

Do your credentials allow you to see the other databases? yes, I can use Zeppelin and connect just find and show all databases although I can only get data from databases from the ones i have access to.

Might need to take this to Quest Support, Jim. I personally don't have a Hive implementation that I can use to troubleshoot just now... The Quest support engineers may have seen this before and have a resolution at hand, although I did visit the TDP Knowledge Base on the Quest Support site and didn't see anything specifically related to your issue.

there is a KB article - HIVE connection doesn't show all databases / schemas (4227878) (quest.com) - but it appears I don't have access. This might help us.

Doesn't look like it, but I copied the KB article anyway... this particular issue was fixed a while ago in 4.x of TDP...

Title
HIVE connection doesn't show all databases / schemas

Description
Toad Data Point (TDP) is successfully connecting to Hive, but it only shows a small list of databases / schema in the Object Explorer, And there are more than four hundred databases that should be listed.

Cause
Toad only pulls the first 1000 names, including databases names, tables names and so on.

WORKAROUND 
none

RESOLUTION
Fixed in the 4.2.1 release of TDP
Defect ID
TIC-7354

Additional Information
On Wednesday, June 07, 2017 12:18 PM Pacific Time, Debbie Peabody said: "the fixe for this is ready to be downloaded from: http://community-downloads.quest.com/toadsoft/tda/ToadDataPoint_pro_4.2.0 Hive Fixes QAT-10517.zip"

Thanks. I got it fixed. It was a setting in Options that needed to be changed. Working fine now.

Option that you changed? (e.g. for the benefit of other community members who might experience the same issue?)

The attached is what fixed it for me.

FIX to show all databases when connecting to Apache Hive.

In the ribbon – choose Options

In the Options box – choose Explorer

Then choose General under the Explorer link

All the way to the right of the Explore – General screen there are Default Filters…

Make sure the GLOB (*wildcard) is chosen