Default file name when exporting dataset

When exporting a dataset from the Data Grid, the file name used to default to the table name from my "Select" statement". After upgrading Toad to version 13, the file name is defaulting to the last file that I exported, so I have to change it every time. I would like it to default to the Date along with one of the table names being selected, something like %TABLENAME%_%DATEFILE%.xlxs. I can get the date to default, but am not getting anything that will pull table name. I have co-workers, whose Toad installs work as mine used to, so everytime they do an "Export Dataset", they get a default file name that lists a table name, such as C:\temp\PS_NAMES.xlsx. If they were selecting from PS_PERSON_DATA, and they click "Export Dataset", it defaults the filename to PS_PERSON_DATA.xlsx. I can't get mine to do this now?

In the Export Dataset dialog, right-click in the box where the filename goes. Check "Auto filename from table" in the popup menu. It should remember the settings.

Not everyone liked that feature, so we made it an option.

I don’t have that option when I right-click inside the Filename box. I’m running version 12.8.0.49. Is there a reason I would not see this prompt? Attached
is a screenshot of what I see.

Thanks,

Rick

Rick Carver

Wichita Public Schools

Information Services & Technology

Phone 316.973.4247

It didn't exist in 12.8. I thought you were on Toad 13.

I thought I was on version 13. I downloaded the installer for 13.1.1, but after installing and rebooting it still says I am running 12.8.0.49. When I run the
installer again, it shows Version 13.1.1.5 Installed. Am I missing something with the installation?

Thanks,

Rick Carver

Wichita Public Schools

Phone 316.973.4247

it sounds like you also have 12.8 installed and you are starting 12.8 after installing 13.1

Go to Program Files -> Quest Software, you should find installed Toads there. 12.8 may have been under "Dell" instead of Quest, I can't remember off top of head.

You’re right, I thought the 13.1 install would overwrite my executable file. I am running 13.1 now. The Export Dataset filename is working properly by defaulting
the table name again. I don’t have the Right mouse-click option you mentioned, but as long as the file name is defaulting as the table name, I’m happy. Thank you for your quick responses and getting me back and running.

Thanks

Rick Carver

Wichita Public Schools

Phone 316.973.4247

You're welcome. It must be 13.2 (to be released soon) that has the right-click option. I though it was 13.1 but didn't check.

Hello, when exporting a dataset the filename always returns back to the table name. I want it to be the last file name i exportetd. I am using Toad 12.12. Can somebody please help me?
Thanks

You can control that behavior by adding an ini setting (in version 13.2, we added a way from within Toad to control this)

In Toad.ini, with Toad NOT running, add this under the [SETTINGS] section.

ExportDataSetAutoFileName=0

If you need help finding Toad.ini -

1. In Toad, go to Options -> General and click the “Open Folder” button next to “Application Data Directory”.
  2. Shut down Toad.
  3. In the folder that opened in the first step, browse down to the “User Files” folder and find the file Toad.ini.
  4. You can edit Toad.ini with Notepad.
1 Like

It works. Thank you for your help!