Defaulting to Read Only

As part of my learning process, I’ve been charged with putting together documentation on how to setup Toad for the rest of the users in my department.

The majority of the databases we deal with are strict Read-Only databases - they’re available for us to report against, but we cannot make any changes to them.

On the Oracle database this is controlled using the roles established for each of the users, but Toad still prompts me if I want to commit changes to this database. I’ve got the configuration marked as “Read Only” and I’ve got Auto Commit set to “No” - but it gets annoying that it keeps asking me. Is there any way to get this to stop?

Also, we have several MS SQL databases and of course Access in the mix. I have write access to some MS SQL databases, and of course there’s not really any control on Access. With MS SQL I am prompted to save my changes - but 99% of the time I’ve not actually made any changes, at least not intentionally - is there anyway to get Toad to treat this database as a strict Read-Only unless told otherwise?

Thanks!

I’m not getting the behavior you describe. Let me describe in detail how Read Only has been impelmented.

1. When installing there is a choice to select “Read Only”. When this is selected the following items will be changed in the application.
  2. All create table, views, etc edtiors and menu items will not be visible.
  3. The generate SQL action will only generate select statements and not offer insert, update or delete statements.
  4. When attempting to execute any insert, update or insert statement in the editor or any other part of the application it will not be executed and and an error message of “This command is not allowed in read only mode” will appear in the bottom status bar. (Next to the Commit buttons)
  5. Import data functionality is not available.
  6. Data grid in the database explorer is read only and can not be edited.

Please check that these are behaving as mentioned above. It not, try to reinstall and select the “Read-Only Install” option from the page above. This option can also be put on the command line for silent installs. .exe /S READONLY=TRUE

Let me know how this goes.

Debbie
ReadOnly.jpeg

Hi,

This is GREAT for some of our people, but I’m curious if there is a way to set up Read-Only as the default, but allow those of us who need to have it the ability to switch over to Edit as well.

For example, there’s a very large MS SQL database that I used, that 99.9% of the time I’m just reading from; but occasionally I need to add, update, or delete a record - it seems that installing the application with this setting would prevent me from being able to switch into a write mode at all - correct?

That’s a tough one. The most common use case of Read Only is by administrators who need the utmost control on their users and don’t want to trust the database roles to handle access. We do not have the ability to toggle this back and forth.

There is however, one other way of doing this through Toad Security. Toad Security is basically a table on each server where you can define for a user what he/she can use or not use in the Toad for Data Analyst application. You can see the topic on Security in the Help file. It takes a bit to configure but might give the flexibility you need.

Debbie Peabody wrote:

That’s a tough one. The most common use case of Read Only is by administrators who need the utmost control on their users and don’t want to trust the database roles to handle access. We do not have the ability to toggle this back and forth.

There is however, one other way of doing this through Toad Security. Toad Security is basically a table on each server where you can define for a user what he/she can use or not use in the Toad for Data Analyst application. You can see the topic on Security in the Help file. It takes a bit to configure but might give the flexibility you need.

Well, roles are enforced for the users on the MS SQL server, but accidents do happen. My issue is that even though I set AutoCommit to off; if I’m browsing in the data grid and accidentally happen to edit a cell, Toad asks me if I want to commit my changes - I’ll pay attention and say No, but other users might not.

Our main DB developer would like to use Toad to help him build DB’s, Views, Etc. on the MS SQL server as he’s mostly worked in Access, and some of these things are new to him.

Our Oracle instance isn’t really an issue, as no one has write permissions. The data is refreshed via an automatic system that pulls live data from our billing system.

I’ll take a look at Toad Security, I also noticed when I was installing Toad that there was an option for Toad Roles or something like that, that could run on a network machine and automatically keep user’s settings updated - we may also investigate that as well.