Toad World® Forums

editing in grid

Hi,

in TOAD v9, when option “immediate edit” was off, grids behaved the way that on mouse click it just selected rows/cell in the grid (edit mode wasn’t activated) and once one started typing it allowed to edit selected field.

TOAD v10 introduced news grids, that instead of editing tries to search for string being typed within current column.

I would prefer editing instead of searching, but I can not find any option that would control it…
is it intended behaviour?
is there any option that would restore previous behaviour?

emha.

I’m pretty sure that is intended behavior. I agree it is pretty annoying
sometimes. Maybe there could be an option to enable or disable searching. For
now just remember to double-click into the cell to enter editing mode.

Ed
[TeamT]

annoyance is the least problem…

if you omit what’s new behaviour and start typing while you are on a big table TOAD starts reading in all the table data and so until it finds some record or proofs there is no record that fits it becomes busy and, as well, it consumes a lot of memory which is not returned back to the system until TOAD is closed.

emha.

It may not be what you want, but if you turn on “direct editing” then
clicking in the grid allows you to start typing directly into the
column.

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else. We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes. If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Another side effect of this new change is that when you have non-editable results in a grid (eg. the data tab of the editor), you can no longer place the cursor in the row to enable you to copy part of the row.

You can still double-click to get the pop-up editor, but this adds time, especially since the pop-up editor takes 3-4 seconds to appear rather than being instant.

You can still copy individual cells to clipboard when row-select is turned off. On a side note, we’ve fixed a bug in the 10.1 patch (available later this week), where you could not do a direct paste into a cell.

Thanks,
Brad

I think if you hit Enter before typing it will go into edit mode also.

I just noticed a nuisance (bug?) in trying to test this - I did an EDIT
tablename in the MOE, clicked a cell that contained a number starting
with 1, and typed 2 - and it tried to scroll to a row whose value in
that column started with 2, resulting in it fetching enough rows to find
such a row - and (and here’s the possible bug) there does not seem to be
any way to stop this fetch. The Cancel button is grayed out (and I
tried clicking there anyway, but it didn’t cancel), same with the hand
in the toolbar, and hitting Escape does nothing. Okay, it finally
finished fetching - at about row 600,000; it was fetching the whole time
I was typing this message up to this point.

I suggest that any time there’s an additional Fetch going on in a MOE
data grid (or SB data tab grid), for any reason, the Cancel button
should be live.

Nate Schroeder
IT Commercial Technical Services - Data Management Team
Monsanto Company
800 N. Lindbergh Blvd. G3WI - Saint Louis, MO - 63167
314-694-2592

You’re right, lets you start editing.

I think Ed was right about the need for an option to turn off search as you type.

It’s interesting this is coming up now, given the number of months this was out in beta

Morning Mark,

It’s interesting this is coming up now, given the number of
months this was out in beta

Sorry? How long have you been in software development? This is what
always happens!

You run the best orchestrated alpha and beta campaigns, you employ the
world’s finest QA team, you develop the best application or utility
known to man and woman (and their dog) and get all the bugs ironed out.
(Hang on, that sounds like you Toad guys doesn’t it?)

You release the product.

Twenty minutes later, the first bug reports come in! Usually just after
the first 100,000 CDs have been pressed. Anyone need a coaster?

Been there, done that, suffered!

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else. We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes. If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Oh aye, I know that. But that’s not what I’m talking about here… although having reread my original post, it seems I have consistently said “row” when I really meant “cell” slaps forehead What can I say?! (lack of caffeine, maybe!)

So, let me try again:

"Another side effect of this new change is that when you have non-editable results in a grid (eg. the data tab of the editor), you can no longer place the cursor in a cell to enable you to copy part of that cell.

You can still double-click to get the pop-up editor, but this adds time, especially since the pop-up editor takes 3-4 seconds to appear rather than being instant."

This holds true regardless of whether row select is on or off.

part of that cell

How did I miss that?!?

I just now figured out what you were complaining about, and now that I see it, I
understand why you’re frustrated.

Yes, that needs changed too. So two good grid finds.

It’s not just in our field. No matter how much checking and proofreading you do
on a publication, the first major mistake gets reported within a few minutes
after it get to real people. And it’s usually something incredibly obvious, like
the title or author’s name.

My favorite was Larry Niven’s Ringworld, which starts with Louis Wu traveling
around the world to celebrate his birthday in every time zone and make it last
as long as possible.

Except in the original he goes west to east – the wrong way round. Discovered
immediately after publication. Fixed for the patch release, though they called
it the “second printing”.

So the Toad team is in good company.

– jim

James F. Hudson
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Madison, WI
(608) 267-0840

I can understand how editors, internal qa, developers etc. miss things, with so much volume of work, but when there are hundreds of beta users from the very start working in grids every day, how can things like this go unnoticed until the product is ‘officially’ released?

I wonder if it has something to do with what would be a natural tendency to overlook flaws when something is in ‘beta’ but once it is GA, the expectations rise, even if unconsciously. Like going from being engaged to married.

I guess I need to go put my now well caffeinated neurons to better use…

Paul Erdos was given credit for it, but it was another mathematician who said, “a mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.”

So “a programmer is a machine for turning coffee into code.”

Hi Mark,

… how can things like this go unnoticed until the
product is ‘officially’ released?
Think “Murphy”.
:wink:

And a DBA?

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Never having been a DBA I can’t say. It’s only the poor programmers who are treated like brick layers, DBA’s are held in awe, and in the utmost regard.

Hi Mark,

… how can things like this go unnoticed until the
product is ‘officially’ released?
Think “Murphy”.

“Dead or alive, you’re coming with me.” Or is that the wrong “Murphy”? :wink:

And a DBA?

Monitors the coffee level and asks the SA for more coffee when the
programmer doesn’t include that part in their coding.

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Prosit!
Rich – [TeamTea]

Disclaimer: Oh, better get me a lot of lumps. A whole lotta lumps!

Hi Mark,

Never having been a DBA I can’t say. It’s only the poor
programmers who are treated like brick layers, DBA’s are
held in awe, and in the utmost regard.
Can’t remember that happening to me!

*Ah well, I get the best (?) of both worlds, having been/still developing
and also DBAing.

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

This one might be tricky as our grid control seems to prevent cell “editing” when the dataset is not editable even if the immediate edit option is enabled. This is a change from the previous version of the grid control. There are only a million options for that grid so maybe we missed something.

Michael

remember enormous memory consumption problem I’ve mentioned in a previous mail if searching within grid is active.
IMHO it should be looked at as well.

emha.