Error connection to SVN repository (version 12.9.0.71 x32)

Hello,

I have an SVN repository that I’d like to access via Toad. I created the connection to the repository via Team Coding Configuration and successfully tested the connection, however when I try to connect to the repository afterwards (Team Coding -> Logon to VCS), I get an error in the output window that says only “Error logging into SVN”. If the connection was tested successfully when I created it, I’m not sure why I would have an issue connection the the repository. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help,

Cory

Hey Cory,

I would double-check the username and password in the SVN login box, as well as the local Working Directory to make sure they’re set correctly. Are you connecting to a local or remote repository? If remote, what access method are you using (WebDAV, SVN, SVN+SSH)?

-John

Hi John,

I connect to a remote SVN repository using my network ID and password, and I generally use Tortoise to check out/check in files. Just to verify that I was using the right user name and password though, I created a connection to the repository in Eclipse using my network ID and password and it connected to the repository without issue. However, when I use the same login credentials in Toad, I still get the “Error logging into SVN”.

Thoughts?

Cory

Hey Cory,

And what access method are you using with Subversion? SVN, WebDAV, or SVN+SSH?

-John

Hi John,

From what I’m told, I connect using WebDAV.

• Cory

I’m having exactly the same problem. I’m using svn method.

Hey Cory,

Sorry for the delayed response. You mentioned you were using your network ID and password within Eclipse to connect to SVN. Are you entering your username in Toad as “DOMAIN\Username”?

-John

From: cory.blankenship [mailto:bounce-coryblankenship@toadworld.com]

Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 10:03 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Error connection to SVN repository (version 12.9.0.71 x32)

RE: Error connection to SVN repository (version 12.9.0.71 x32)

Reply by cory.blankenship

Hi John,

From what I’m told, I connect using WebDAV.

• Cory

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General Forum
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Are you using straight SVN or SVN+SSH with your connection? Have you pinged your server to make sure it’s reachable from your machine?

Sent: Monday, July 18, 2016 8:50 PM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Error connection to SVN repository (version 12.9.0.71 x32)

Reply by emulicus

I’m having exactly the same problem. I’m using svn method.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. I’m using a straight SVN connection without the domain name specified with my user name. When I use that, I get the same error.

Thanks again,

Cory

Hey Cory,

You mentioned before you were using WebDav, which uses the HTTP protocol. The SVN connection uses a direct TCP protocol to an internal listener (service/daemon) on the Subversion server. If you’re using your network login within Eclipse, and the username you’re using within Eclipse is in the form “DOMAIN\username” then you’ll need to use the same form within Toad.

Toad uses the Subversion command-line client. Certain older versions of TortoiseSVN don’t ship with the command-line client; so you’ll need to make sure the command-line client is installed. For safety sake, I would also make sure your Subversion settings within Toad (from the Team Coding Administration window, click the ellipsis button next to the Subversion VCS Provider dropdown) are pointing directly to that Subversion command-line executable. If it’s not, and the folder to your command-line client is not in your path, Toad won’t know where the command-line client is located in order to call it.

You can also run a test by opening a command prompt and typing:

C:> svn --username --password list

If the command is successful, make sure the username and password you specified are exactly the ones used within Toad’s login dialog.

Separately, I would also recommend temporarily turning on “Show VCS command output window” and “Enable VCS debug logging” within the local options of your Team Coding Administration window. You can then see the commands Toad is issuing to the command-line client, as well as the response being returned by that client.

Let me know if any of these suggestions proves helpful. Toad should be able to communicate to your Subversion server without a problem. I suspect the issue is probably somewhere in the configuration on your machine.

-John

From: cory.blankenship [mailto:bounce-coryblankenship@toadworld.com]

Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 4:16 PM

Reply by cory.blankenship

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. I’m using a straight SVN connection without the domain name specified with my user name. When I use that, I get the same error.

Thanks again,

Cory

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hey Cory,

One other thing that might be causing the issue: If your working folder has a space in it, try using a working folder that doesn’t. By default, Toad encloses paths that have spaces with double-quotes because command-line tools generally require it. However, the Windows API call that’s used to launch the process doesn’t like paths enclosed in quotes for some of its parameters. This particular bug has been fixed in the beta cycle for Toad 12.10; however, that could be what’s causing your error in Toad 12.9.

Let me know if this helps, or if there’s anything else we can do from our end to help track this down.

Thanks!

-John