General Questions

Hello,

So I’m new to Toad and after having played around with a few of our datasets I’ve run into a couple questions that thus far I’ve been unable to find the answer.

1. Can grouped data only be created by sending your queried results into the Transform and Cleanse section of Toad Data Point? If there are alternate solutions please explain.

2. When the initial results populate from a query it seems to only display 1,000 even though there may be additional data. How do you set the default to display all of the data from a query?

3. Additionally, when you do have all the data displayed my experience thus far is when you send it to another function like transform and cleanse or data profiling it again only sends a smaller subsection of your results. Is there a way to change this default as well?

4. This last question I imagine is a little more in-depth but could someone please explain the process in order to query data that is partially made up of previously queried results? There was training on this subject from one of the TDP Dell employees, but they went through it too fast and I did not get a firm grasp on the process only that it somehow incorporates Toad View.

Thank you for your time and help.

Hi,

Here are the answers,

1. Yes, you need to form a query and get the results which you can send to Transform & Cleanse. You can use Query builder to build a query.

2. We have provided Transform & Cleanse options where you can set the result to work on "All Rows" as seen in the picture. Click on "Edit Sample" to change the options.

1. You are right. Currently when you send any data set to TnC it defaults to 1000 rows and we are considering an option to change it all rows or specific rows before sending to TnC. Unfortunately, this is still in discussion. You can always go back to TnC options and change the rows options for now.

2. There are few ways to do this. You can use Toad Intelligence central where you can publish your first query data and then use that with your second query data. You can also make use of local storage to create a temporary table with first query result and then work with that result to form a new query. Let me know if you need any more details on any of these.

Thanks.

Just a couple follow comments to your response.

Regarding the first one, you are saying at least for now it can only be done in T&C? If so, If I continue to figure out how automation works is there a way to automatically go from your query to the results and then to a T&C function where it creates a specific grouping from one of the variables in the results?

And regarding two and three, I’ve found those features you mentioned, what I’m wondering is if there is a way to change the default in which I don’t have to manually change the setting each time I run queries or send things to various Toad functions.

Thank you.

You can save the transform and cleanse file which will save your sample options and work with it every time you need.

Automation provides a TnC activity where you can specify a query and it will use the result from the query. To create specific grouping try using calculated column rule or group column rule. I am not sure this is what you need.

Hi cbarr123,

You can also group your data right in your query. If you are using the Visual Query Builder, you can use the grouping function to create groups of data. Grouping is also available in the pivot table and dimensional viewer. What specifically are you trying to do?

Hi cbarr123,

You can change the number of rows being displayed in T&C by select ing “Edit Sample” in the top right of the T&C window. You cannot change the default at this time.

Hi cbarr123,

For querying from saved queries, I think you may want to use Toad Views. With Toad Views you can write a query (say joining contacts and address information) and save it as a ToadView under a new name “FullAddressInfo” and then in future when you want to add this joined contacts and address information into new queries you just drag the ToadView called “FullAddressInfo” into your query. You can see a video on this feature here - www.toadworld.com/…/virtual-views-new-to-toad-data-point-3-2

In Response to,

Hi cbarr123,

You can also group your data right in your query. If you are using the Visual Query Builder, you can use the grouping function to create groups of data. Grouping is also available in the pivot table and dimensional viewer. What specifically are you trying to do?

I’m not trying to do anything specific other than just simply figuring out how to match capabilities of what were currently able to do in the program were transitioning from. For this specifically I guess just as an example, what I would like to do is take one of my variables and create a group variable from it where if the value is above lets say 1500 then in my created group variable it’s equal to 1 and if it’s below 1500 then it’s equal to 0. Do you understand what I’m saying and if I can do that in the query builder, can you explain how in detail? I haven’t had any luck doing it in the query builder. I’ve only figured out how to do it in T&C.