Since version 4.1.Toad for Sql Server has become pretty much useless to me with the exception of two features, the Export to Excel feature, and the column grouping in result sets. Auto-complete, which was the single biggest reason I ever used Toad, has slowed to the point of infuriating. I’ve gotten to where I use SSMS with RedGate SQL Prompt to develop all of my SQL, then copy it into Toad and run it for exporting and grouping analysis. This is no way to work.
Another issue is every time I upgrade I lose all my settings. I spent a lot of time in 4.1 setting up auto-replace, customizing snippets, etc. Now I find myself angry just that SELECT doesn’t capitalize itself when I type a space after it. I shouldn’t have to go and move a bunch of xml files around to get my settings back, and often that doesn’t work either.
I think Quest has lost its direction with TSS. At any rate its direction has diverged enough from my own to make participation in the beta program and in this forum a waste of my time. Toad was once a very quick tool that was an essential part of my developer toolbox. Now the forum items that get attention all seem to be wrapped around new features. All the while, the original features that made Toad what it was have degraded with every version.
It’s like taking your best hammer and making the handle into a spoon. Now it’s clumsy and annoying to eat with and completely useless for driving nails.
I apologize if anyone feels this is an inappropriate way to share these thoughts, but I hope something constructive may come of it for those folks with more patience than I have.