Good bye TSS

Since version 4.1.Toad for Sql Server has become pretty much useless to me with the exception of two features, the Export to Excel feature, and the column grouping in result sets. Auto-complete, which was the single biggest reason I ever used Toad, has slowed to the point of infuriating. I’ve gotten to where I use SSMS with RedGate SQL Prompt to develop all of my SQL, then copy it into Toad and run it for exporting and grouping analysis. This is no way to work.

Another issue is every time I upgrade I lose all my settings. I spent a lot of time in 4.1 setting up auto-replace, customizing snippets, etc. Now I find myself angry just that SELECT doesn’t capitalize itself when I type a space after it. I shouldn’t have to go and move a bunch of xml files around to get my settings back, and often that doesn’t work either.

I think Quest has lost its direction with TSS. At any rate its direction has diverged enough from my own to make participation in the beta program and in this forum a waste of my time. Toad was once a very quick tool that was an essential part of my developer toolbox. Now the forum items that get attention all seem to be wrapped around new features. All the while, the original features that made Toad what it was have degraded with every version.

It’s like taking your best hammer and making the handle into a spoon. Now it’s clumsy and annoying to eat with and completely useless for driving nails.

I apologize if anyone feels this is an inappropriate way to share these thoughts, but I hope something constructive may come of it for those folks with more patience than I have.

I wouldn’t agree with all of that, since I haven’t customized my settings to that degree, but Auto-complete just doesn’t work for me either. Well, it will if the database you’re connecting to has 100 tables, as opposed to our production which has more than 5000 tables in dbo.

Export to Excel and result set grouping is really nice though.

My participation in the beta group has always been based on the fact that Toad was once my go-to app for anything database related. I had it open pretty much my entire workday. Originally I saw error messages once in a while, but was still able to do my job reasonably efficiently. This is why I once requested to be able to dismiss the Support bundle message with the Escape key. I can’t always take the time it takes to deal with, I need to keep working.

Because Toad has become less of a go-to app, I have it open less frequently, and the items I see getting a lot of replies in this forum are for problems of no interest to me, or they are problems so severe that I don’t dare test them, (e.g. the rowcount issue)

I do still have hope for Toad, and some of the top forum users (you know who you are) have asked me to continue in the program, although it will most likely be in a reduced capacity, for the simple reason that I do not use TSS as much as in the past.

I’ve also learned that my environment may not be optimal for Toad use. I use WinXP with a 3GHz quad processor, and 2GB of RAM. In our corporate environment, this is already an upgrade in the eyes of our IT dept. Asking for more is likely to get me laughed at if not a trip to the woodshed.

I would be interested to know what other user environments are out there, and how the issues relate to those factors.

[ Attachment(s) from Hank Freeman MSN included below]

Eric,

Thanks for reconsidering and now staying in the Toad-SS board, even if it is in
a limited capacity… We need your expertise.

I understand your limitations at work with your system for I had to buy my own
notebook PC for the work I did at SGI.

What I bought was a Toshiba Notebook, (P8400 CPU) that has Windows 7-64 Ultimate
with 4 GB of Ram, SQL Server 2008 developer and Toad-SS-5.0.0.444 installed,
with a 2TB- HD hanging off the e-SATA port. It is an exceptional Notebook and
work system, which I used daily when I worked at Scientific Games.

At my current work location, I have an HP workstation with Intel 6300 1.86 CPU,
Windows 7-64 Professional, 8 GB of ram. It is quite nice but I was having system
issues not related to Toad-SS-5.0.0.444 that were very severe at first but after
I performed a very special Dos DEFrag (See Attached) everything seems to have
settled down to the point of only having occasional issues instead one every 15
minutes with Toad-ss and Visio 2007. The command line is for Windows 7, but
there are similar commands for XP…

Over the Labor day weekend I will be validating my system updates on firmware
and hardware with the personal system audit tool BELARC, which is an
exceptional. I am expecting that some of the Windows-7 updates related updates
from HP are not resident so I am on the hunt for these HP updates.

As for Windows XP- SP3, I occasionally drop down into Windows Virtual-pc mode on
the Toshiba Notebook… However, I have not really pushed it because I
don’t need to run XP when I run Window 7-64… I am
kinda-sorta-done-with Windows XP, since Windows 7-64 came out MSDN RTM a full
year ago.

Bottom Line, here is what I have and I surely recommend a better system running
Windows 7-64 with 4GB minimum… I no longer have any real system running XP
at 2gb or less.

Hank Freeman

Senior Systems, Database/Data Warehouse Architect

hfreeman@msn.com

678.414.0090 my cell Primary
image001.gif

[ Attachment(s) from Hank Freeman MSN included below]

Eric,

Thanks for reconsidering and now staying in the Toad-SS board, even if it is in
a limited capacity… We need your expertise.

I understand your limitations at work with your system for I had to buy my own
notebook PC for the work I did at SGI.

What I bought was a Toshiba Notebook, (P8400 CPU) that has Windows 7-64 Ultimate
with 4 GB of Ram, SQL Server 2008 developer and Toad-SS-5.0.0.444 installed,
with a 2TB- HD hanging off the e-SATA port. It is an exceptional Notebook and
work system, which I used daily when I worked at Scientific Games.

At my current work location, I have an HP workstation with Intel 6300 1.86 CPU,
Windows 7-64 Professional, 8 GB of ram. It is quite nice but I was having system
issues not related to Toad-SS-5.0.0.444 that were very severe at first but after
I performed a very special Dos DEFrag (See Attached) everything seems to have
settled down to the point of only having occasional issues instead one every 15
minutes with Toad-ss and Visio 2007. The command line is for Windows 7, but
there are similar commands for XP…

Over the Labor day weekend I will be validating my system updates on firmware
and hardware with the personal system audit tool BELARC, which is an
exceptional. I am expecting that some of the Windows-7 updates related updates
from HP are not resident so I am on the hunt for these HP updates.

As for Windows XP- SP3, I occasionally drop down into Windows Virtual-pc mode on
the Toshiba Notebook… However, I have not really pushed it because I
don’t need to run XP when I run Window 7-64… I am
kinda-sorta-done-with Windows XP, since Windows 7-64 came out MSDN RTM a full
year ago.

Bottom Line, here is what I have and I surely recommend a better system running
Windows 7-64 with 4GB minimum… I no longer have any real system running XP
at 2gb or less.

Hank Freeman

Senior Systems, Database/Data Warehouse Architect

hfreeman@msn.com

678.414.0090 my cell Primary
image002.jpeg