Help! Report crashed, will not reopen, and need to recover.

I was working on my report this morning with no issues and Toad Data Point suddenly froze up me. I was forced to end the application with the task manager. Upon reopening, I tried opening my report back up and received the error pasted below. Opened the .tdr file within Notepad++ located the query supplying data to Table1.Relation11 and proceeded to run in a new SQL Editor in TDP to check for any possible issues. The query ran just fine.

Original Toad Error:

System.ArgumentException The type of the “Table1.Relation11.Incidents” value data member isn’t compatible with the numeric scale. Stack Trace: at DevExpress.XtraCharts.SeriesBase.CheckDataMember(Object dataSource, String dataMember, Nullable`1 scaleType) at DevExpress.XtraCharts.SeriesBase.CheckBindingRuntime(Object dataSource) at DevExpress.XtraCharts.Native.DataContainer.CheckBindingRuntime(Object source) at DevExpress.XtraReports.UI.XRChart.ValidateDataSource(Object newSource, Object oldSource, String dataMember) at DevExpress.XtraReports.UI.XtraReportBase.OnDataSourceChanged(Object oldValue) at DevExpress.XtraReports.UI.XtraReportBase.set_DataSource(Object value) at Quest.Toad.DataReport.ReportForm.DoFileOpen(String file) at Quest.Toad.Gui.MainForm.OpenFile(String file, PredefinedParameterCollection predefinedParameters) at Quest.Toad.Gui.MainForm.openFileButton_ItemClick(Object sender, ItemClickEventArgs e) at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItem.OnClick(BarItemLink link) at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarBaseButtonItem.OnClick(BarItemLink link) at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarButtonItem.OnClick(BarItemLink link) at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItemLink.OnLinkClick() at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarButtonItemLink.OnLinkClick() at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItemLink.OnLinkAction(BarLinkAction action, Object actionArgs) at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarButtonItemLink.OnLinkAction(BarLinkAction action, Object actionArgs) at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItemLink.OnLinkActionCore(BarLinkAction action, Object actionArgs) at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.BarSelectionInfo.ClickLink(BarItemLink link) at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.BarSelectionInfo.UnPressLink(BarItemLink link) at DevExpress.XtraBars.Controls.CustomLinksControl.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m) at DevExpress.XtraBars.Controls.DockedBarControl.WndProc(Message& msg) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

While trying to troubleshoot, after successfully running the query from Table1.Relation11 in a new SQL editor, I right clicked on the results and sent this data to a new Data Report Designer. Once the wizard finished, I saved it, closed it, and opened it back up to see if it would replicate the error I was receiving on my other report. My test report opened with no issue. So this has me wondering if the dataset is even the culprit or is there some other underlying issue that’s causing my report to crash. I’m thinking it may be the latter, but I can’t seem to identify any correlative info to support that within the context of this error message.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have more than a dozen relationships in this report and would really like to avoid starting from scratch if possible.

Thanks!

-Chris

That’s the pits!! I looked at this and don’t see a way to manually fix.

Well…

Since this was an unrecoverable error, I attempted to build my report again. 3 days worth of development time and even though I took the “save often” approach, it is really moot when the entire app crashes and renders my work unrecoverable. Up until just a few minutes ago, all was well. Toad Data Point crashed on me again and when I went to open my report back up, it is producing another error similar to others produced after the app has crashed. I’m really beginning to lose patience and faith in this product as a stable and viable reporting tool. The days I’ve lost from whatever instability is occurring are impacting my ability to work.

My reports have a lot of table/table relations due to the amount of data I’m having to procure. It seems like as my relationship counts go up, the stability of the application drops.

Here is the newest error:

System.ArgumentException
The type of the “Table1.Relation2.Incidents” value data member isn’t compatible with the numeric scale.
Stack Trace:
at DevExpress.XtraCharts.SeriesBase.CheckDataMember(Object dataSource, String dataMember, Nullable`1 scaleType)
at DevExpress.XtraCharts.SeriesBase.CheckSummaryFunction(Object dataSource, String functionString)
at DevExpress.XtraCharts.SeriesBase.CheckBindingRuntime(Object dataSource)
at DevExpress.XtraCharts.Native.DataContainer.CheckBindingRuntime(Object source)
at DevExpress.XtraReports.UI.XRChart.ValidateDataSource(Object newSource, Object oldSource, String dataMember)
at DevExpress.XtraReports.UI.XtraReportBase.OnDataSourceChanged(Object oldValue)
at DevExpress.XtraReports.UI.XtraReportBase.set_DataSource(Object value)
at Quest.Toad.DataReport.ReportForm.DoFileOpen(String file)
at Quest.Toad.Gui.MainForm.OpenFile(String file, PredefinedParameterCollection predefinedParameters)
at Quest.Toad.Gui.MainForm.openFileButton_ItemClick(Object sender, ItemClickEventArgs e)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItem.OnClick(BarItemLink link)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarBaseButtonItem.OnClick(BarItemLink link)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarButtonItem.OnClick(BarItemLink link)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItemLink.OnLinkClick()
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarButtonItemLink.OnLinkClick()
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItemLink.OnLinkAction(BarLinkAction action, Object actionArgs)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarButtonItemLink.OnLinkAction(BarLinkAction action, Object actionArgs)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItemLink.OnLinkActionCore(BarLinkAction action, Object actionArgs)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.BarSelectionInfo.ClickLink(BarItemLink link)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.BarSelectionInfo.UnPressLink(BarItemLink link)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.Controls.CustomLinksControl.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.Controls.DockedBarControl.WndProc(Message& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Is there nothing else that can be done about this to prevent? Is there any sort of explanation as to why this keeps happening?

I was able to recover both corrupted reports. I opened the .tdr files in Visual Studio and did a find for “Table1.Relation2.Incidents”. The first instance it found was on line four of the code within the xs:element container. It appears this line is the basis for all design elements within the report. I copied this line and pasted it in to a Word document. From there I did a find and replace for all instances of " ", which if I remember correctly, is interpreted as a line break within XML. I replaced all occurrences with "^p “, ^p in Word’s replace Special drop down is the paragraph mark. This inserted a line break before every occurrence within my Word doc. This made for easier navigation and troubleshooting. I then did a find for my “Table1.Relation2.Incidents” field and once located, I found that it resided deep within the parent container . I removed this entire section of code, performed a find and replace to remove my line breaks (”^p " back to " "), saved, and reopened in Toad. This chart container appears to have been the issue. The report opened in preview mode and then in design with no error. I’m going to continue to QC the report to ensure all is well after the recent code removal.

If I’ve overlooked this ability, I apologize in advance, but I think it would be extremely helpful if you had the ability to rename the Tables, Relations, and dataSets you create during the report design process. Due to the large number of data sources I’m having to pull in, which inevitably I think is what caused the corruption to occur, navigation and proper relation definition can pose problems. As a test, I manually changed my table and relation names in Visual Studio and when I reopened in Toad, no issues were given. I’ve attached an image for reference.

TableRelationRename.jpeg